Is250 Camshaft Rattle On Cold Start - Finally Acknowledged.

I have had this starter rattle intermittently since I bought my 2007 IS250 two years ago with 27,000 miles on her. Now, with just under 60K, the rattle is getting more frequent. I've had the car at the dealer for other issues and have complained of the noise three separate times, but they claimed they were never able to duplicate it and had no idea what might be causing it. So, I started using my phone to record video of every startup until I caught it on film.

Amazingly, when I emailed the video to my service advisor, he immediately found the TSIB related to the noise and scheduled my service.

I could draw several possible conclusions from this correlation, some of them not flattering to the dealer. I will, instead, simply recommend that proof of the condition, easily e-mailed proof, seemed to initiate immediate dealer action.

Lexus did the TSIB for free, and the starter has not made that sound in two days. Success!

I have had this starter rattle intermittently since I bought my 2007 IS250 two years ago with 27,000 miles on her. Now, with just under 60K, the rattle is getting more frequent. I've had the car at the dealer for other issues and have complained of the noise three separate times, but they claimed they were never able to duplicate it and had no idea what might be causing it. So, I started using my phone to record video of every startup until I caught it on film.

Amazingly, when I emailed the video to my service advisor, he immediately found the TSIB related to the noise and scheduled my service.

I could draw several possible conclusions from this correlation, some of them not flattering to the dealer. I will, instead, simply recommend that proof of the condition, easily e-mailed proof, seemed to initiate immediate dealer action.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I also have this intermittent problem on a 2006 IS 250. I've got 71900K miles on the clock and the power train warranty expired @ 70K miles. Has anyone on the BB have the repairs done at no charge @70K plus miles?

I found a posting where someone said it was low Oil Pressure. Had the oil changed on Friday, made sure Synthetic was used, drove all weekend, and have not heard it once. Until Friday, I would hear it whenever the car sat for awhile.

Tony

Atlanta, GA

I LOVE REPLACING INTAKE TIMING GEARS ON THE IS250/350 AND GS300/350! I get 6hr.s to do this job and it only takes me 2! I don't care if I can't hear it! If you say you heard it, that's good enough for me!

• 11 months later...

I LOVE REPLACING INTAKE TIMING GEARS ON THE IS250/350 AND GS300/350! I get 6hr.s to do this job and it only takes me 2! I don't care if I can't hear it! If you say you heard it, that's good enough for me!

I wish you were working at the dealer I go to.....

• 1 year later...

Hey, I've been getting a slight rattle on my 2008 IS250 during a cold startup... it does not sound as violent as the video that the OP posted. I thought it might be the high pressure fuel pump rattling during startup because it is just a few clunks and then it goes away. Anyway, I haven't found anything online regarding the fuel pump and after seeing this TSB I am thinking that it might be the cam gear. My question is, can I just pull the timing chain tensioner and replace the gear without pulling the cam? I think it would be an easy job to do it that way. My car has 74K miles so it is just outside the warranty.

I wish you were working at the dealer I go to.....

Based on above pic, sadly he might be dead but I certainly hope not.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Can you pls share wat's the TSB number?

• Like 1

Here is the recall information for the VVT (variable valve timing) For my 2008 IS350 including the GS350 but I didn't see anything on there for GS300. 4 Days ago I heard a squeak and my engine shut off. I've towed it home as I'm confident it's the VVT gear and chain issue. I received the recall notice recently so I'm sure it's the problem. Other than the start up rattle I have had no prior issues or buildup to the breakdown. Time for my baby to get an overhaul!

Recall: 13V395000 Recall Date: 09/04/2013Component: ENGINE

Problem Summary: TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007-2011 LEXUS GS350 VEHICLES MANUFACTURED JUNE 19, 2006, THROUGH JULY 12, 2011; AND MODEL YEAR 2006-2011 LEXUS IS350 VEHICLES MANUFACTURED MAY 27, 2005, THROUGH JULY 13, 2011; AND MODEL YEAR 2010-2011 LEXUS IS350C VEHICLES MANUFACTURED NOVEMBER 25, 2009, THROUGH JULY 19, 2011. THESE VEHICLES, EQUIPPED WITH THE 2GR-FSE ENGINE, USE BOLTS TO SECURE THE HOUSING AND SPROCKET OF THE VARIABLE-VALVE TIMING (VVT) SYSTEM GEAR ASSEMBLY. THESE BOLTS COULD BECOME LOOSE DUE TO ABNORMAL IMPACTS GENERATED WITHIN THE GEAR ASSEMBLY IMMEDIATELY AFTER A COLD START-UP.