2007 Es 350 Oil Change Problem

melonm

Folks, I have a 2007 ES 350 and tried to do oil change on Monday evening. I did 2 times before but this time the problem getting worse.

What happens is that after I took out the filter house (the mental box holds the oil filter), the oil didn't come out from engine. I have to start up car to make oil coming out. Obviously I could not keep starting car so I did 3-4 times to get enough oil out (about 5 gallons) and add 5 gallons mobile-1 in.

I checked document again and I don't think I have seen the small o-ring in my oil change. Would small ring needs to be take out to get oil coming out? I also didn't use the adapter because I didn't use it first time so I thought I don't need it.

Please advise! Your assistance is much appreciated!

Hi, you don't drain the entire oil thru the filter element housing (is that what you're doing?). Did you remove the drain bolt first? Most of the oil drains thru the drain bolt. It is 14mm and it is just behind the filter at the end of a black metal looking box. Here is the pic :http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf

The avalon oil change is just like the lexus es350. I have never started the car with the filter off to drain the oil. Not good for the engine.

Read that PDF and tell me what you're doing different.

Folks, I have a 2007 ES 350 and tried to do oil change on Monday evening. I did 2 times before but this time the problem getting worse.

What happens is that after I took out the filter house (the mental box holds the oil filter), the oil didn't come out from engine. I have to start up car to make oil coming out. Obviously I could not keep starting car so I did 3-4 times to get enough oil out (about 5 gallons) and add 5 gallons mobile-1 in.

I checked document again and I don't think I have seen the small o-ring in my oil change. Would small ring needs to be take out to get oil coming out? I also didn't use the adapter because I didn't use it first time so I thought I don't need it.

Please advise! Your assistance is much appreciated!

I am wondering if anyone has put snow tires on a 2008 ES 350 or ar the all season tires that come with the vehicle ok in a upstate New York winter

Man! I think I didn't took out the drain bolt and tried to drain the oil from filter housing. That was the problem. How stupid!!!

Here is another question. Since I already put a new filter and 5 gallon new oil in, should I do another oil change or it is ok for me to drive another 3-4k miles. I change oil every 5k miles. My ES is on 24K mile right now.

Thank you so much!

I think I would redo the whole oil change again and let all the oil drain out thru the drain bolt and then change the filter. Overall it is really cheap insurance. If you had been starting the engine with the oil filter off, that "might" have done some damage to the car because you certainly don't want the engine running with little or no oil. The oil keeps the engine lubricated and minimizes friction that can lead to premature wear and tear inside the engine. But right now just redo the oil change and take it for a nice leisurely drive and maybe get her a bath and she should be fine.

BTW when you get the drain bolt off, let it drain for a good 10 minutes or so. You should find yourself putting in approximately 6-6.4 quarts of oil.

Full capacity is 6.4, but I think it would take half an hour to drain all 6.4 out.

also you mean quarts, not gallons.

I am wondering if anyone has put snow tires on a 2008 ES 350 or ar the all season tires that come with the vehicle ok in a upstate New York winter

Man! I think I didn't took out the drain bolt and tried to drain the oil from filter housing. That was the problem. How stupid!!!

Here is another question. Since I already put a new filter and 5 gallon new oil in, should I do another oil change or it is ok for me to drive another 3-4k miles. I change oil every 5k miles. My ES is on 24K mile right now.

Thank you so much!

Nice try! :cheers: I'm just not buying! There's no way anyone would

even think of doing what you just described! :chairshot: I mean, this is

taking "thinking ouside the box" to a whole new level ... nice writing

:blink: Great entertainment! ;)

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I was just trying to be patient. You never know haha.

Thank you so much!

If somehow true,the OP should not do ANY maintenance himself on the ES.

Cl206, thanks! I think that I would do this weekend. The car has been driving OK for few days, but giving another oil change will at least get rid of my concern.

Thanks a lot for the help! As well as other folks....

Cl206, thanks! I think that I would do this weekend. The car has been driving OK for few days, but giving another oil change will at least get rid of my concern.

Thanks a lot for the help! As well as other folks....

You are welcome!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...