Ouch! I'm Sick

landar

Coming home from work tonight, some guy pulls out in front of me in a Ford pickup. Hit him at about 40mph. Flipped the truck.

I'm grateful for not even a scratch. But totally sick over my baby. My Lex gave her all. I fear she is totalled. RIP.

Landar

post-41820-12696499459_thumb.jpg

post-41820-126964996088_thumb.jpg

post-41820-126965004107_thumb.jpg

Coming home from work tonight, some guy pulls out in front of me in a Ford pickup. Hit him at about 40mph. Flipped the truck.

I'm grateful for not even a scratch. But totally sick over my baby. My Lex gave her all. I fear she is totalled. RIP.

Landar

How'd the Ford driver fare? Hopefully he/she got out ok as well.

Glad you are ok! Your car looks great for giving a 40mph blow to the F150. Airbags go off? I'm sure the insurance co will total it, but someone is going to snag this one real quick at the auction. I really liked your antique bronze mica too; I don't see very many of them.

Hey Landar, sure looks a mess, but wheels, frame, rest of the body all look ok. Insurance would write it off for sure - doesn't mean you can't buy it back and fix it up. I'm with thermator, get it checked out to see if repairs are worth your while. Glad to see you're ok!

Landar

Hi, sure glad you didnt get hurt...

if you dont want to repair yours,

here is a replacement:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1640039419.html

looks pretty good..

The guy in the Ford truck climbed out after a bit and was not injured either. Of course it helped that he was a young and healthy (early 20's).

And the airbags did NOT go off. So, either the airbag system is defective or the impact was not hard enough for deployment. I will go with the latter.

I could hardly sleep a wink last night thinking about this. Just thankful there were no personal injuries. Now I get to see how the insurance co. tries to rip me off.

Whats with this site? Got a new, shiny look! Flash CS4? Silverlight?

Complete bummer! But if there is any car I want to be in when "the big one" happens, it's an LS.

Maybe this is an "opportunity" to move on/up to something you will like better. A base LS430 seems to be better equipped than a fairly highly optioned 98-00 LS400, so maybe you would like one of those.

Dang, Landar... that's the one you recently did the TB/WP surgery on. That's a bummer, for sure. I used your write-up and photos last week doing mine, and it was an excellent presentation you gave to us. Many thanks.

Dang, Landar... that's the one you recently did the TB/WP surgery on. That's a bummer, for sure. I used your write-up and photos last week doing mine, and it was an excellent presentation you gave to us. Many thanks.

Yes etex. I had just replaced the TB, WP, pulleys, tensioner last November. Spent about $500 and a lot of loving care and time. I could cry. This is why you should never replace the timing belt. Or get your car repainted. Or any other expensive item :lol:

Now my wife is talking about us getting her a new vehicle and making me take her old Chrysler! Total bummer. Life ain't fair.

Can you imagine what would have happened had I been in a typical econobox? I shudder.

Yes etex. I had just replaced the TB, WP, pulleys, tensioner last November. Spent about $500 and a lot of loving care and time. I could cry. This is why you should never replace the timing belt. Or get your car repainted. Or any other expensive item :lol:

Believe it or not, my mother complains that I drive like a little old lady and that I should take a lesson from my sis. She runs the lights when they start turning red! My own 88 year old mother - a lead foot! Who knew. But she's right. I stay away from other traffic and if the road gets too congested, I choose another road. This from a former redneck on the track! Now, driving the Volvo is another story ... move over and stay out of my way!!! I'm just not interested in some idiot cracking up my LS, and have you noticed, lately the majority of drivers ARE IDIOTS! With the condition it's in (virtually mint showroom condition), I'd never find anything close in that vintage. I'd have to move up to a 430, not that I'd mind, but it's a different car.

Can you imagine what would of happened had I been in a typical econobox? I shudder.

Yeah, you'd be getting out of the Ford with the other guy - or maybe not! lol

The car gave it's life for you. Buy another one, and don't even THINK about fixing that one. It will be substantially twisted throughout the unibody as a result of that accident. It's dead. Move on. Be thankful you are OK.

The car gave it's life for you. Buy another one, and don't even THINK about fixing that one. It will be substantially twisted throughout the unibody as a result of that accident. It's dead. Move on. Be thankful you are OK.

Yeah SRK, I was thinking the same thing as I watched the red Toyota coolant run like a river across the street. She shed her 'blood' for me :cries:

I credit the good Lord and the safety/engineering of the LS for nary a scratch. (good sermon entry, Billy ^_^ ).

I agree that although I loved that car, it can not be restored to former glory. Its worse than the photos show. I am already doing a search for another LS, probably an LS430. I really like the body style of the 2nd gen over the 3rd, but the 430 can be sweet if you find the right one.

I even gave a passing notion to a Mercedes then gained my sanity back. I dont like working on cars THAT much!

Yeah SRK, I was thinking the same thing as I watched the red Toyota coolant run like a river across the street. She shed her 'blood' for me :cries:

I credit the good Lord and the safety/engineering of the LS for nary a scratch. (good sermon entry, Billy ^_^ ).

I agree that although I loved that car, it can not be restored to former glory. Its worse than the photos show. I am already doing a search for another LS, probably an LS430. I really like the body style of the 2nd gen over the 3rd, but the 430 can be sweet if you find the right one.

I even gave a passing notion to a Mercedes then gained my sanity back. I dont like working on cars THAT much!

You are right Landar... Rom 8:28 God enters into all things, to work His good, for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. and again: Jer 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.. So, get your HOPES up, you can find one..

Better pics. I am still crying :cries: What do you think...a little clay bar and some polish?

The insurance adjuster is working on a figure for me. Its toast. Complete sham...er, shame. ;)

post-41820-127016631555_thumb.jpg

post-41820-127016638276_thumb.jpg

post-41820-127016640727_thumb.jpg

post-41820-127016763349_thumb.jpg

Better pics. I am still crying :cries: What do you think...a little clay bar and some polish?

The insurance adjuster is working on a figure for me. Its toast. Complete sham...er, shame. ;)

How does that song go? ... Aint no sunshine when she's gone ...

or the other one ... Sad, so Sad, Sad is the only word ...

Amazing how the interior doesn't know what happened on the outside!

Take the payout, if you can find another of similar vintage, buy this one back for parts?

keep us up to date, we might want some of your parts. the radio dial on my 99 lights up but has no display, and I messed up my AC register (photo) when I removed it.

post-5365-12701753544_thumb.jpg

I will keep you posted and whether or not I can/should buy it back. I figure the engine and tranny alone ought to be worth a $1k.

But really, I am not running a junkyard here and my wife will probably nix the buyback. Probably be hard to find buyers and then shipping is a problem.

I have been looking for a replacement and found a 99 LS400 at my local Lex dealer. Has 120k miles and pretty good shape but not as nice as mine. Asking price: $13k.

Not gonna happen. Then they have a 2005 LS430 for $27k and a bunch of RX300, RX330 and RX350's.

So, I am going to drive an LS430 and an RX330 and see if any of those is a possibility. My rental car is a Chevy Malibu, so that it taking the sting out of losing my Lex (NOT) B)

Anyone have +/- things to say about the RX? Is it just what the doctor ordered? :whistles:

I will keep you posted and whether or not I can/should buy it back. I figure the engine and tranny alone ought to be worth a $1k.

But really, I am not running a junkyard here and my wife will probably nix the buyback. Probably be hard to find buyers and then shipping is a problem.

I have been looking for a replacement and found a 99 LS400 at my local Lex dealer. Has 120k miles and pretty good shape but not as nice as mine. Asking price: $13k.

Not gonna happen. Then they have a 2005 LS430 for $27k and a bunch of RX300, RX330 and RX350's.

So, I am going to drive an LS430 and an RX330 and see if any of those is a possibility. My rental car is a Chevy Malibu, so that it taking the sting out of losing my Lex (NOT) B)

Anyone have +/- things to say about the RX? Is it just what the doctor ordered? :whistles:

I hear ya bout the junkyard & shipping. Just that the interior shot you posted looked perfect & makes it too bad so sad!

On the other question, absolutely the 430 over the rx. Not even close! Read up on the engine sludge issues and the tranny probs. Don't know if they've been corrected for latest versions, but I'd do some research for sure.

Even though the malibu isn't cutting it, take your time to find the right ride. I'd even check out other brands just for comparison.

[quote name='eatingupblacktop' date='02 April 2010 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1270219744' post='40674

I hear ya bout the junkyard & shipping. Just that the interior shot you posted looked perfect & makes it too bad so sad!

On the other question, absolutely the 430 over the rx. Not even close! Read up on the engine sludge issues and the tranny probs. Don't know if they've been corrected for latest versions, but I'd do some research for sure.

Even though the malibu isn't cutting it, take your time to find the right ride. I'd even check out other brands just for comparison.

Just got back from the Lexus dealership where I drove an '07 RX350 and then an '05 LS430. Wow. Like EUBT said, no comparison. The LS was silky smooth with tons of power.

Of course, they are in different categories so the comparison is not exactly fair. But now I know to concentrate on the LS. The LS430 seems a bit larger than the LS400 with 18" factory wheels.

BTW, the dealership has a 1995 MB S420 with 105k for $10k. What a boat. Lots of weight for the money! Could probably get it for $6k. Tempting. ;)

BTW, the dealership has a 1995 MB S420 with 105k for $10k. What a boat. Lots of weight for the money! Could probably get it for $6k. Tempting. ;)

The S series is every bit a competitor to the LS. If you do your homework and understand that maintenance costs and reliability are a few steps behind Lexus and are willing to accept these shortcomings, it's a very comfortable ride. I know several MB owners who have never had issues with their cars. The rep says different. Nevertheless have ridden and driven them and every time I've been impressed with how smooth and quiet they are ... to the point of actually considering dropping by a dealer to see what's on the lot. Of course that only lasts until I get back in my LS.

The S series is every bit a competitor to the LS. If you do your homework and understand that maintenance costs and reliability are a few steps behind Lexus and are willing to accept these shortcummings, it's a very comfortable ride. I know several MB owners who have never had issues with their cars. The rep says different. Nevertheless have ridden and driven them and every time I've been impressed with how smooth and quiet they are ... to the point of actually considering dropping by a dealer to see what's on the lot. Of course that only lasts until I get back in my LS.

The S420 looks to be an absolute tank. Its a white beauty with no rust that I could see and appears to be in pristine shape. Crazy as it sounds, I am thinking of asking them to let me take her for a test drive, put it on a lift and look it over more carefully. I know nothing about MB and a little scared of it, maintenance-wise. From the looks of that thing, I would have knocked that truck into the next county rather than just rolled it (which in itself is pretty impressive). Not sure I want to climb the MB learning curve. But for the right price, is it worth it?

Here tis -> http://www.lexusofmishawaka.com/VehicleDetails/641245813

Not sure I want to climb the MB learning curve. But for the right price, is it worth it?

Yes, Randy, buy that S420. It will be a completely trouble free car. By the way, I have this bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell -- you could make a lot of money by charging tolls to cross it.