Gs 400 Keys

my 98 gs 400 will need a new ecm in order for me to have any new keys made .car was certified , lexus and their dealers are ok with selling a car with only 1 master and a valet key, never once mentioning that should you one master go south or you lose same, your are in for a royal shaft job. Lexus will replace your ecm( admit to doing nothing wrong) but you are still at the dealers mercy( also admit no wrong) he wants $600 for 2 master keys(his cost $120) I have been able to find a dealer to make each key for $200 (bargain eh) or its possible to send your ecm to people to reprogram for $100 plus 100 for each master one outfit will do it f0r $630 includes 3 new keys. Motto is demand at least 2 masters when you buy any lexus between 95/2000 model year

According to an article found here (also elsewhere on the net) only 1 working key is required to make duplicates.

'98 and up Lexus GS300, LS400, ES300, SC400

This system is based on the Texas Instruments fixed code transponder. The onboard computer cannot be programmed without a working pre-programmed transponder key. Duplicate keys can be programmed into the system as long as there is at least one working pre-programmed key available. The system can accept a maximum of 10 different keys.

Because the coding of the keys is proprietary and is protected by copyright law, cloning is not possible at this time for this system. Until Texas Instruments agrees to license this technology, the only way to program duplicate keys will be by the process outlined below.

Key blanks: Ilco / Silca TOY40BT4

Replacement key blanks can be ordered from any Lexus dealer.

Programming Steps:

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.

2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn the key.

3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.

4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.

5. Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.

6. Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition.

7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.

8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.

9. Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.

According to the service manual, a total of 4 or 8 keys are able to be programmed to a given vehicle. It is unclear exactly how many can be added depending on the number of masters and valets combined.

This place is a good one for chip keys. The master key with remote transmitter was $100, and the generic master key without remote was $25. $45 more for somebody local to cut and program both keys. This was alot cheaper than going to the dealer.

There are places that can reflash the your existing ECM if you have lost all of your keys. I found one online and the locksmith who did my keys knew of a local person who could flash it. The cost was in the $600+ range.

I did not need the service but was just curious.

I used streetkeys for the master w/remote plus a generic master for another backup with no problems. I had one master key and didn't need the ECM flashing I mentioned in the last part of my previous post. The remote key was just like my genuine Lexus key that I got with the car.

The keys arrived in a few days USPS with the name of a local lock smith to copy my the key pattern onto the new keys and program both in the car. The total bill was $185 for both keys including the service.

I have a '99 GS400 and need one more master key since my other one is missing. I will take your word that "StreetKey" isn't bogus.

One question....all Lexus keys have different patterns? I thought they were generic but because of the chip in the key, that was the difference. So the locksmith has to cut it? Who programed the key?

The blank key needs to be cut in an exact copy of the original in order to turn the switch/unlock the steering wheel. Then the car needs to be programmed to memorize the code in the new key in order to allow the engine to start. An original master key is required to accomplish the programming.

Here is a description of the technology inside the key.

• 1 month later...

Well, so far my experience with Streetkeys hasn't gone smooth. First of all the key I was sent looks like it was 10 years old and then the locksmith couldn't program the transmitter (for the doors/lock and trunk). I had to send the key back. I'm definitely NOT impressed with the customer service as they don't return calls or reply to e-mails very well. The locksmith has not been happy either with them and in fact was even considering putting a bad name on them with the locksmith traders group. Hopefully Streetkeys will come through for me and make me forget this experience. I'll let you know how I made out......

I'm sorry you had so much trouble. At least your locksmith did the programming for the door trunk. The locksmith I was referred said he was only required to program the ignition part; the door/trunk lid programming was left to myself.

I followed the door/trunk instructions furnished by Streetkeys and after about two or three tries I got it to work. Basically it was operator error on my unsuccessful attempts, as I had trouble getting the car into program mode.

• 1 year later...

May I get the instruction to program the door and trunk? The instructions I got did not work. Thank you much.

-Melissa

I'm sorry you had so much trouble.  At least your locksmith did the programming for the door trunk.  The locksmith I was referred said he was only required to program the ignition part; the door/trunk lid programming was left to myself. 

I followed the door/trunk instructions furnished by Streetkeys and after about two or three tries I got it to work.  Basically it was operator error on my unsuccessful attempts, as I had trouble getting the car into program mode.