Leaky High Pressure Hose? Still Have A Bad Leak!

90LS400Lexus

Here are the photos taken tonight. The valve is not leaking that we plugged. I am wondering if its coming from the line that I have circled in yellow? Is that the high pressure line? Is that a pain to replace and costly?

026.jpg

As posted in the long other thread, where I had smoke on start-up, we have plugged the valve... smoke is gone and the valve area is not leaking, but I am still losing alot of fluid. Dont appear to be going on the alternator..... someone said high pressure hose could be leaking... here are photos.... any suggestions? How expensive/hard is this to replace?

011-1.jpg

PS fluid seems to be pooled in here now, but my dad said he thinks he spilled fluid there... ??????

016-3.jpg

the plugged idle-up valve...

025.jpg

fluid dont appear to have leaked into the alternator...

029.jpg

OH BOY! Still leaking like a sieve! :rolleyes::rolleyes: I cant drive this car like this!

039.jpg

Re-routed hose....

036-3.jpg

Thanks for any additional advice.....

I'm sorry the ACV plug didn't solve your problem. Like I said before, you've got to take a rag to everything and dry things up to see where the fluid is coming from. The return hose (shown in second pic) is fairly wet. Fluid appears to be high up under the hood so the return hose *could* be the cause.

This diagram should help you identify the hoses:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1991_LEXU...EPGKA_4503.html

Back when I did a PS flush on my 90, I had a hard time removing the return hose and had to cut it. I replaced the short section between the reservoir and the pipe with transmission cooler hose.

Again, dry things off to help determine the exact point where the fluid is coming from. It's just a guess until you do. Good job on vacuum hose fix by the way.

Like I said before, you've got to take a rag to everything and dry things up to see where the fluid is coming from.

Thanks. I guess that will be a good job when I get home from work tomorrow. I am really tired though... burned out on it. Seems like its one thing after the other. Even after I get the leak stopped, I am still faced with why I am getting that "shudder" on hard turns at stops/low speeds. Probably the rack knowing my luck. :(

Thanks again and for that link.

I am wondering if its coming from the line that I have circled in yellow? Is that the high pressure line? Is that a pain to replace and costly?

I just replaced mine.. not hard at all.

I bought mine from ebay, see: Item number: 390089286905

this is the part I used. less than $100

fits like a glove.

Thanks Billy.

I will tell you, this is so frustrating. I had not planned on having to spend this much money on this car for this problem I have. Power steering systems sure are costly on these cars arent they? The dealer wants like $325 for it and thats at Pembroke Pines Lexus. :rolleyes:

Autozone has them for $79 or $69... it has two different prices for two different hoses. I am not sure which one I need. We need to make sure thats where the leak is first though.... I bet it is.

I am going to be honest though, I am wondering if I should call it quits on this car. I mean if I spend this $100 on this hose and that "shudder" remains, then that will mean the rack is probably shot... I cannot afford to replace that. I am not a wealthy person and this car that I still owe $2400 on is driving me crazy and to the poor house and is literally depressing me to the max. I know I cant get $2400 for it like this. I still dont even know how to clean the screen/filters on the pump or rack. Then even after this, I still have the bad motor mounts issue and leaky valve cover gaskets... it dont leave drips, but I get occasional puffs of smoke that smell like diesel fumes from time to time, so thats strange.

I am so confused. I may sell it for a loss and my Mercedes (as much as I hate to) and take that money and pay it off and take a huge loss and cry it off. Poor gets poorer anyway right? :( Maybe one day the good Lord will send me a nice new car that dont have leaks.

Thanks for the help. :)

Thanks Billy.

I will tell you, this is so frustrating. I had not planned on having to spend this much money on this car for this problem I have. Power steering systems sure are costly on these cars arent they? The dealer wants like $325 for it and thats at Pembroke Pines Lexus. :rolleyes:

Autozone has them for $79 or $69... it has two different prices for two different hoses. I am not sure which one I need. We need to make sure thats where the leak is first though.... I bet it is.

I am going to be honest though, I am wondering if I should call it quits on this car. I mean if I spend this $100 on this hose and that "shudder" remains, then that will mean the rack is probably shot... I cannot afford to replace that. I am not a wealthy person and this car that I still owe $2400 on is driving me crazy and to the poor house and is literally depressing me to the max. I know I cant get $2400 for it like this. I still dont even know how to clean the screen/filters on the pump or rack. Then even after this, I still have the bad motor mounts issue and leaky valve cover gaskets... it dont leave drips, but I get occasional puffs of smoke that smell like diesel fumes from time to time, so thats strange.

I am so confused. I may sell it for a loss and my Mercedes (as much as I hate to) and take that money and pay it off and take a huge loss and cry it off. Poor gets poorer anyway right? :( Maybe one day the good Lord will send me a nice new car that dont have leaks.

Thanks for the help. :)

Jim boy, I sympathize with your state of mind. But believe me, when anyone starts piling up all their troubles, it's hard not to want to give up and cry! The trick is ... don't do it! Don't pile it on! You'll just go into a depression. Hard to make rational decisions when you're in one. Take another look at the car without all the financial aspects involved.

What will it take to be able to drive the car? That's where you start. Can you drive with a leaky valve cover until you can afford the time and cost for a new gasket? If it's not smokin the whole way down the road and your not seeing a dip in the oil level, then sure you can. Can you drive with less than perfect motor mounts? Sure you can. Is your rack problematic? Learn how to clean the solenoid and the pump screen then take your time doing it. Learn how to flush the system, then take your time and do it. No need to spend any money until you know you have a clean system. You may find that's all it needs!

You have a wealth of information here at the LOC and at other sites. Use it. If you haven't been a DIY before, then at least attempt it if for no other reason than to find out what aptitude you have for it. You may find skills you didn't know you had. The key is to tackle one project at a time and develop some patience with both the learning curve and the actual application.

Ever watch a spider build his web? Never gives up! You tear down his web in the morning, by evening he's got a new one almost completed! Now mind you, they have nothing to learn because it's all instinctual. You spend enough time with a wrench and it becomes instinct much like the spider's.

Your probs aren't insurmountable. I'm sure there are many members here who would gladly change their probs for yours. The next time you're listing all the probs with this car, add another column listing all the aspects of the car that aren't giving you grief and what you like about the car. Make sure you avail yourself of a balanced perspective! ;)

I am not sure which one I need. We need to make sure thats where the leak is first though.... I bet it is.

:excl: ARE YOU NOT HEARING ME????? :excl: Clean things up so you CAN be sure. Once you know exactly where the leak is coming from, then you'll know what needs to be replaced.

Until you do, you're starting to waste our time!!! Or at least getting on my nerves. :chairshot:

:excl: ARE YOU NOT HEARING ME????? :excl: Clean things up so you CAN be sure. Once you know exactly where the leak is coming from, then you'll know what needs to be replaced.

Until you do, you're starting to waste our time!!! Or at least getting on my nerves.:chairshot:

I'm assuming you're taking Az's advice to clean up that whole area. You can't determine the source of your leak when the fluid is everywhere. Clean all hoses and metal surfaces then start the car and watch for the first signs of fluid. Crank the wheel a bit from side to side to help get the leak going. As for the rack, have you taken a look at it? Is it wet anywhere, especially at the boots?

I am not sure which one I need. We need to make sure thats where the leak is first though.... I bet it is.

Until you do, you're starting to waste our time!!! Or at least getting on my nerves.:chairshot:

This entire issue has been on my nerves for weeks now.

Geez, Im sorry. I just asked because I was wondering which one was the high pressure hose if thats what I needed. It shows both as high pressure hoses and I was simply wondering which one of those were the high pressure hoses. *Notice that I said in that reply, "we need to make sure thats where the leak is first though, I bet it is". I just wanted to get an idea.

I just was wondering which of those was the high pressure hose. I checked the link you posted and it shows it, but dont mention it.

Yes, I am going to clean that area just as soooooooooon as I possibly can. I wanted to do it this evening, but it didnt happen. You have to understand I work a very busy job and I dont have a garage and just cant strut out and do everything at once. I am also not in that great of physical condition since my car accident in 1994. I do what I can and have my dad help me with the rest. He is self employeed and owns his own gallery and cant do whatever whenever I need it. He does what he can. It poured rain all day Saturday... he did the plug deal on Sunday AM... I noticed it was still leaking Sunday evening... I worked an 11 hour shift at work on three hours of sleep on Monday and only had time to post the above pics.... I had to be back at work at 8am Tuesday morning and didnt get off until 6pm. I helped a co worker with her car and when I got home it was dark. I had intentions of cleaning it this evening, but it didnt happen. I have to be back at 9am Wednesday morning, take my grandma to church Wednesday night, it will be dark again, work 9-2 on Thursday, surgery Thursday afternoon at 3:00, then off on Friday. I dont even have anything to clean it yet. I know I will have to be careful because of the alternator.... or maybe out of frustration I will spray it with orange blast and blast the heck out of it and if it ruins the alternator, that will be another $300 repair I guess. I guess I will do the best I can with rags.

Out of the entire 6 years I have been here on this site, I finally got on someones nerves. <_< That was not my intentions. Sounds like someone is more stressed than I am.

I have offered alot of helpful advice over the years to people here on things I actually know about, I am not always this annoying. Maybe I should leave and not bother anyone else and just forget it.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm assuming you're taking Az's advice to clean up that whole area. You can't determine the source of your leak when the fluid is everywhere. Clean all hoses and metal surfaces then start the car and watch for the first signs of fluid. Crank the wheel a bit from side to side to help get the leak going. As for the rack, have you taken a look at it? Is it wet anywhere, especially at the boots?

Thanks Blacktop.. your posts are always helpful. :)

Yeah, all the car needs to be in driving condition again is this power steering leak stopped. I can drive it with it leaking this bad. The valve covers are not that bad... I dont notice any different in the oil level between the 4000-5000 mile changes. I only get an occasional puff of smoke from under the hood and a strange smell that smells like diesel fuel. It comes from the left back of the engine when it does it. I noticed it one time when I had it running with the hood up. Strange, but I am assuming its the valve covers. The motor mounts can wait to... they are just an annoyance. I have been trying to save enough money without getting into my savings account to get the valve covers and motor mounts done, but now with the PS deal, its something else to probably spend a fortune on. Maybe not. Need to clean that up as AZ said and see where its leaking. ;) Gotta be careful though... I know I just cant start spraying cleaner and water down there because wont it toast the alternator? I guess I could spray it with some HD cleaner and blast the whole thing. I really dont care anymore what I tear up. What else could go wrong?

I guess I first became frustrated when the idle-up valve started leaking and I was being told about 6 different things (not here) on what to do and I had no idea. I was told that would also stop my external leak, but it didnt. Its not leaking there as you can see. Now I am told that it could be the "screens" that need to be cleaned and that could stop the leak. ?

I guess you are right... I am sure I have it much better off than most people... I do have three other cars I can drive, even if the one I am having to drive to work now gets 9 - 10 mpg.

I am sorry if I have got on anyones nerves. I will probably see if I can get SW or blake to delete my thread and I will try to figure this out on my own. I could always opt to use the Toyota mechanic I know that did the fan bracket bearing, but who knows how much more $ that will be. I was hoping to be able to resolve this without doing that. What started out as a simple easy task to take care of my problems keep stemming out more and more. Guess I am like a gnat on these boards. Oh, I like that part about the spider.... my only problem is I weave a tangled web. ;)

Thanks again for all of the info. I will take the advice given so far and go from there.

... the good news is today that my aunt with a 2003 LS430 said she is getting a new 2010 model soon and will sell me her LS VERY CHEAP and maybe even give it to me. How I wish. Well see. I dont even know if I want it after all I have been through with this one. Thats terrible I know.

Bag the alt and you should be fine. Use a dry rag first to soak up most of the fluid, then a cleaner if needed. If you go hog wild with a cleaner, you'll wind up with mess over your floor and yourself. If you do a bit at a time, you can manage any spills/dripping etc. If you use an engine degreaser, make sure you read the label. Most require you rinse the cleaned area to rid it of the cleaner because it's combustible.

Sounds like you both had a tough day. Don't let it get to you and no need to explain anything. None of us have the time we'd like. You've received some good advice here. Get to it when you can. Easier to put your mind to doing something when you're not rushed and have the energy required.

Try this method - when my wife, who is an artist, gets stuck doing one of her paintings, she comes to me for some help or at least an opinion. Of course I'm not falling into that trap. If I suggest something and it turns out badly, who's she going to blame? You guessed it. So what I tell her is to "walk away, leave it for a while, get onto something else for a few days. The solution will eventually show up". Really all that happens is by taking a break and coming back to the task later, you give yourself a chance to recharge and approach it with a fresh start and a renewed state of mind. Same as relieving stress by taking some deep breaths. Sounds simple but hard to think of when you're circling the drain. Lastly, it's only a car, and you have several. Don't let a f@cking car get the better of you. You were here before you got it and hopefully you'll be here after it's gone. Right? Listen, you might feel better if you got mad, went out and yelled at it for a while! Feeling sorry for yourself and giving up ain't gonna solve nothin'!

I wouldn't worry about getting on people's nerves.

As in any forum, they should just ignore people that get under their skin. That's what I do.

JP

Thanks JP.

Bag the alt and you should be fine. Use a dry rag first to soak up most of the fluid, then a cleaner if needed. If you go hog wild with a cleaner, you'll wind up with mess over your floor and yourself. If you do a bit at a time, you can manage any spills/dripping etc. If you use an engine degreaser, make sure you read the label. Most require you rinse the cleaned area to rid it of the cleaner because it's combustible.

Sounds like you both had a tough day. Don't let it get to you and no need to explain anything. None of us have the time we'd like. You've received some good advice here. Get to it when you can. Easier to put your mind to doing something when you're not rushed and have the energy required.

Try this method - when my wife, who is an artist, gets stuck doing one of her paintings, she comes to me for some help or at least an opinion. Of course I'm not falling into that trap. If I suggest something and it turns out badly, who's she going to blame? You guessed it. So what I tell her is to "walk away, leave it for a while, get onto something else for a few days. The solution will eventually show up". Really all that happens is by taking a break and coming back to the task later, you give yourself a chance to recharge and approach it with a fresh start and a renewed state of mind. Same as relieving stress by taking some deep breaths. Sounds simple but hard to think of when you're circling the drain. Lastly, it's only a car, and you have several. Don't let a f@cking car get the better of you. You were here before you got it and hopefully you'll be here after it's gone. Right? Listen, you might feel better if you got mad, went out and yelled at it for a while! Feeling sorry for yourself and giving up ain't gonna solve nothin'!

Thanks Blacktop. I will do that with the cleaning. Maybe I can get it good enough with the rags to get some of the heavy stuff off so I can see where the leak is.

Good advice about walking away and taking deep breaths. :) I had to do that the other day, or I would have probably beat the car with a sledge hammer. lol.

My mom also says that too about its only a car.... in fact she says that alot. :)

Thanks again!

... the good news is today that my aunt with a 2003 LS430 said she is getting a new 2010 model soon and will sell me her LS VERY CHEAP and maybe even give it to me. How I wish.

Well, talk about a reversal of fortune! You've just gone from sitting in the gutter to dining at the Ritz! :cheers: What a rollercoaster! :blink:

Well see. I dont even know if I want it after all I have been through with this one. Thats terrible I know.

Once you get behind the wheel and take her out, forget about it! You'll be locked in for life, especially after all the fun you've had with your current LS. This is exactly the break you've been looking for. Now you can take your time to fixup the "beater" lol, in order to sell it. This is a shocker! What else is up your sleeve?

Well, talk about a reversal of fortune! You've just gone from sitting in the gutter to dining at the Ritz! :cheers: What a rollercoaster! :blink:

Once you get behind the wheel and take her out, forget about it! You'll be locked in for life, especially after all the fun you've had with your current LS. This is exactly the break you've been looking for. Now you can take your time to fixup the "beater" lol, in order to sell it. This is a shocker! What else is up your sleeve?

lol... dining at the Ritz would be nice. lol. :) Well, its probably only a dream.... I guess it depends on the price and how long it takes her to get a new car. I may end up with something else by then. Maybe even another LS, but next time a LOW mile model and one without major problems going on.... and definitely a 1995 or up model. A nice 01 LS430 would be fine. :)

Oh, you had asked about the rack.... it dont appear to be leaking, but has fluid on the passenger side of it where the leaking hose or whatever it is has caused it to blow back. The dripping is toward the front, directly under the PS pump.

Hey, sorry I went a little overboard there. I shouldn't take it out on you as I know you're very frustrated with your car right now. Let's see if we can get this figured out with you.

Thats OK. I know how it sometimes sounds. Yeah its been really draining on me, this problem with the car and I get agitated and proably even repeat myself. I knew there was an issue with the PS leak, but it just out of the blue went haywire and I was not expecting all of these different things cropping up, so yeah its got me on edge asking tons of questions. I thought it was simply the idle-up valve, so yeah, when that potential hose deal happened, it got me going again.

Anyway as soon as I can I will get it cleaned up as much as I can and see whats going on. I hope it is that high pressure hose and I can get one either made or buy a new one under $100... like the one posted that was on ebay for $81. Then I hope that shudder deal with my steering on hard turns at low speeds/stop is being caused by that hose issue, because I hopes it not the rack. I cant imagine everything with the PS being totally wacked out on this car at once. That would be bad.

Going to bed now... long day tomorrow.

Thanks.

Like I said before, you've got to take a rag to everything and dry things up to see where the fluid is coming from.

Thanks. I guess that will be a good job when I get home from work tomorrow. I am really tired though... burned out on it. Seems like its one thing after the other. Even after I get the leak stopped, I am still faced with why I am getting that "shudder" on hard turns at stops/low speeds. Probably the rack knowing my luck. :(

Thanks again and for that link.

Hi 90LS,

How are the rpms on the engine when you make the turns at stop/low speed? The air control valve on the PS pump is designed to increase engine rpms to compensate for the PS Pump power requirement at low speed. The following is a direct quote from the Repair Manual:

"The pump produces the maximum fluid pressure when the steering wheel is turned fully to the right or left and, at this time there is a maximum load on the pump which causes a decrease in engine idle rpm. To solve this problem, vehicles are equipped with an idle up device which acts to raise engine idle rpm whenever there is a heavy load on the pump.

On EFI engines, when the piston of the iar control valve is pushed by fluid pressure, the air valve opens and the volume of air by-passing the throttle valve is increased to regulate engine rpm. The idle-up device functions to raise engine idle rpm when the pump fluid pressure acts on the air control valve, installed on the pump body, to control the flow of air."

It may be that your rpms are dropping so low that the ps pump is struggling and results in the "shudder"?

hth

FSUGUY - the rpms go down a little, but not much... I really cant tell a difference. I should have mentioned that "shudder" began before we plugged the idle-up valve. :( I started it tonight, after cleaning it up and it didnt do it and it was very low on fluid.

**To update on the other posts, I FINALLY got it cleaned up this evening the best I could. I had to be careful not to dampen the alternator. Using rags was impossible... this mess was too bad, so I had to use "awesome orange" cleaner and when cleaning the upper part in the engine area, I took the nozzle off of the water hose and let it softly stream down to rinse it off, without wetting the alternator and I covered the side of it the best I could with a plastic bag. I then soaked down the underside, then blasted it with the nozzle on it.

I refilled the reservior, started the car and let it run for about 15 minutes to dry the water up some and then I shut it off. (BTW, ALL of the smoking went away when I start it) I need to let it set for awhile to see if I can see leaks, but I took a look shortly after and I didnt see any drips under the car, but I did see what appeared to be fresh fluid already looming around the front part of the frame area, directly below the abs brake/air filter housing area. <_< I cant be sure. I am going to let it set for about 3 or 4 hours, go out and check again and snap more photos. ;)

How are the rpms on the engine when you make the turns at stop/low speed? The air control valve on the PS pump is designed to increase engine rpms to compensate for the PS Pump power requirement at low speed. The following is a direct quote from the Repair Manual:

"The pump produces the maximum fluid pressure when the steering wheel is turned fully to the right or left and, at this time there is a maximum load on the pump which causes a decrease in engine idle rpm. To solve this problem, vehicles are equipped with an idle up device which acts to raise engine idle rpm whenever there is a heavy load on the pump.

On EFI engines, when the piston of the iar control valve is pushed by fluid pressure, the air valve opens and the volume of air by-passing the throttle valve is increased to regulate engine rpm. The idle-up device functions to raise engine idle rpm when the pump fluid pressure acts on the air control valve, installed on the pump body, to control the flow of air."

It may be that your rpms are dropping so low that the ps pump is struggling and results in the "shudder"?

hth

OK! I think I know whats leaking! I am going to post photos below! (see above post first)

I went out and the fluid is fresh where I mentioned before. Also, the hose that runs out of the back of the PS pump is wet with fluid. There was this thick insulation type of stuff over it and it was wet. I went ahead and pulled that mess off.

The hose appears to move on the nipple when I move it, so I dont know if its leaking there at the connection or the hose itself?

Here are some pics... any advice / info? According to the link that AZ posted, it shows its a "return hose"?

Here is that mushy pad that was over the hose...

003-2.jpg

see the fluid?

006-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

I think its coming from this hose on the back of the pump...

008.jpg

030.jpg

the rack dont appear to be leaking...

010-1.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

Also looks like fluid had NOT been leaking on the alternator...

018-1.jpg

That was too much to read through so I skimmed it all.

Getting the alternator wet doesn't hurt a thing. If you submerge it, sure you'll have issues, but water intrusion is fine as long as it can drain out and dry.

Water though is pointless to clean ATF since it's oil based. Your best option is to go buy two cans of carb cleaner from any auto parts store and spray everything, the entire area, heavily. They come with a straw to aim it better, reach in and soak the entire pump, hoses, lines, alternator, everything below it, anything that has fluid residue on it, use both cans. That will break down the oil and thoroughly clean it all back to OE spec. Then run water after that's dried a little, flushing everything well to get any debris or chunks of grit off. Let that dry for a few hours.

Now you can easily find any leaks as there is nothing residual left over. You'll know the minute the leak begins where it's coming from.

That was too much to read through so I skimmed it all.

Getting the alternator wet doesn't hurt a thing. If you submerge it, sure you'll have issues, but water intrusion is fine as long as it can drain out and dry.

Water though is pointless to clean ATF since it's oil based. Your best option is to go buy two cans of carb cleaner from any auto parts store and spray everything, the entire area, heavily. They come with a straw to aim it better, reach in and soak the entire pump, hoses, lines, alternator, everything below it, anything that has fluid residue on it, use both cans. That will break down the oil and thoroughly clean it all back to OE spec. Then run water after that's dried a little, flushing everything well to get any debris or chunks of grit off. Let that dry for a few hours.

Now you can easily find any leaks as there is nothing residual left over. You'll know the minute the leak begins where it's coming from.

I think I know whats leaking... its in the above post. Going out now to try to replace it. Well see.

Update #50.... ;)

Got the return hose off. Man, it looked easy, but was a PITN! Its a tight area unless you remove the air filter housing, but I managed to get it off. The hose was so hard and dry it just crumbled and I had a hard time getting it off of the nipple on the reservoir. I had to end up cutting the hose behind the nipple, then fight to get the remains off of the nipple.

I simply bought 10 inches of 3/8 hose at an auto parts store. They had a listing for a return line for a LS400, but it was $11., which is cheap, but he said the regular hose would be fine and it was only 1.90.

I got everything cleaned back up AGAIN, as this made a terrible mess as all of the fluid came out of the reservoir. I started it, turned the wheel several times, let it run for about 15 minutes and NO leaks - at least so far. I am going to go out in about 3 hours and check it again and then I will know, because it had been leakin within a few minutes. The steering turns so much easier now and the shudder is gone. :huh:

I will report back later.... I HOPE and pray to the good Lord above this solves the problem!