If you live in a snowy climate (which i believe you do, states MA in your profile) then you'd want the best all season tire.

According to tirerack, the best all season is the "Goodyear Fortera TripleTred" followed by the "Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...icleSearch=true

Consumer Reports rated the General Grabber HTS as the best 3-season driving tire. Coming in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places were the following all-season tires:

Continental CrossContact LX

Kumho Road Venture APT KL51

Cooper Discoverer CTS

I have Bridgestone Alenzas, which placed 8th out of 20. So far, they have performed very well under all but snowy conditions (only because it doesn't snow here in San Diego, so I couldn't test them under that type of condition).

Now, I haven't checked to see whether any of the top three come in our tire size, so you may want to check www.tirerack for that info.

I have Alenzas on my 400 and love them. They're especially impressive on rain-soaked roads where I've noticed little-to-no hydroplaning compared to the OEM Michelins. In the winter, I mount Bridgestone Blizzaks which are great in the snow.

On a hybrid I had read once that you need to be concerned about rolling resistance if you're trying to maximize mpg. There was a report a while back on what tires were best and I think they were the Original Equipment tires every time. ;)

From CR: "A tire's rolling resistance does affect fuel economy. For that matter, CAFE is so important to most vehicle manufacturers that they demand their suppliers develop low rolling resistance tires to be used as Original Equipment on their new vehicles. In order to meet these demands, these tires are often designed with a priority on reducing weight and rolling resistance and are molded with slightly thinner sidewalls, shallower tread depths and use low rolling resistance constructions and tread compounds."

I have the Bridgestone Alenzas. While they may not roll and give you the best mileage, when there is snow and heavy rain and flooding I prefer to be safe. They also enable the car to corner well. I don't love the OEM michelins and I have Michelins on my old RX. I did drive with the Goodyear Forteras on a Trailblazer (rental) but only in the summer. I haven't heard anything about those other 3 that were supposed to be the best.

I have the Bridgestone Alenzas. While they may not roll and give you the best mileage, when there is snow and heavy rain and flooding I prefer to be safe. They also enable the car to corner well. I don't love the OEM michelins and I have Michelins on my old RX. I did drive with the Goodyear Forteras on a Trailblazer (rental) but only in the summer. I haven't heard anything about those other 3 that were supposed to be the best.

The 18" OEM tires came in two flavors. The Michelin (which are low rolling resistance) and the Goodyear RS (whcih were not so low). My opinion is that they used the Goodyear instead of the Michilen because it improved the handling somewhat at the expsense of fuel economy (probably about a 1mpg hit).

Now I have the Goodyear ResponseEdge in a slightly wider than stock size because I wanted the best handling on the 400 I could get with only new tires. It made a huge difference over the OEM Goodyears and I'll never go back to the OEM tires. But I did suffer another 2mpg hit in fuel economy( now at 21 mpg on average insted of the 24 mpg that others with my driving style claim to get).

You pays your money, and you makes your choice... I'm still waiting for an afermarket anti-sway bar for the 400 that will improve the handling even more... not holding my breath tho.

• 2 weeks later...

The 18" OEM tires came in two flavors. The Michelin (which are low rolling resistance) and the Goodyear RS (whcih were not so low). My opinion is that they used the Goodyear instead of the Michilen because it improved the handling somewhat at the expsense of fuel economy (probably about a 1mpg hit).

Now I have the Goodyear ResponseEdge in a slightly wider than stock size because I wanted the best handling on the 400 I could get with only new tires. It made a huge difference over the OEM Goodyears and I'll never go back to the OEM tires. But I did suffer another 2mpg hit in fuel economy( now at 21 mpg on average insted of the 24 mpg that others with my driving style claim to get).

You pays your money, and you makes your choice... I'm still waiting for an afermarket anti-sway bar for the 400 that will improve the handling even more... not holding my breath tho.

I second this, Dump the Michilen's ASAP. Get a good set of 18's. I run 18" Pirelli Scorpion Snow/ICE tires, 22 MPG in the winter, love these tires, they actually handle just as well as my 20" Hankook 275/40/20's or the Toyo Proxes 4 255/45/20 I used to have. Can buy the Pirelli's used on Ebay for $60 a tire, last quite a long time. No problems in rain/snow and they grip like none other on the dry. I get 24.2 mpg during the summer on my 20's just an FYI

• 3 weeks later...

Well...new here by the way...

I am looking at the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires for my 07 400h. I have the 18" wheels.

Nothing but GREAT reviews on TIRERACK.COM.

However...I want to go a tid bit wider and taller...So my question to all the guru's is...

The stock is 235/55/18 and I want to go with a 245/60/18. Will they rub?

I would rather not hear about how I should stay with the OEM tire sizes because it could change the geometry, trig, algebra...of the suspension. Honestly, you would be wasting your precious time. LOL!!!

I read in a different forum where some are running 255/55/18's...thats a little much for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking at the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires for my 07 400h. I have the 18" wheels.

Also new here. I bought these tires recently from Tire Rack based on the reviews. My initial impressions after 150 miles are positive. Gas mileage is about the same as the Goodyear RS set they replaced. They are quiet and smooth riding on the highway and seem to have good handling on dry payment. As soon as it rains, i will update my comments on wet traction. Can't comment on snow or ice since I live in Florida.

The Goodyear RS set were shot at 20K miles. I'm hoping for better longevity out of this set.

However...I want to go a tid bit wider and taller...So my question to all the guru's is...

I would rather not hear about how I should stay with the OEM tire sizes because it could change the geometry, trig, algebra...of the suspension. Honestly, you would be wasting your precious time. LOL!!!

I read in a different forum where some are running 255/55/18's...thats a little much for me.

Try using thes tools for your tire trades, but pay attentention to your actual tire dimensions as they compare to the tool's preset values for each size. As long as you stay within 3-4% on the tire height, you should not have any "geometry" problems (just be aware of the speedometer effects).

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

If you compare the OEM size to the 255/55-18 you can see how much change you can expect to fit into the wheel well.

My GY 255/55-18 ResponseEdge tires used to rub a bit on the flexible plastic shroud in the rear, but they don't rub on anything metal or fixed that would cause a problem.

I just replaced my 2007 RX400h tires with the Bridgestone Alenzas 235/55/R18 V90. Goodyear only had 400 tread wear and these are 600 tread wear. B)

Try using thes tools for your tire trades, but pay attentention to your actual tire dimensions as they compare to the tool's preset values for each size. As long as you stay within 3-4% on the tire height, you should not have any "geometry" problems (just be aware of the speedometer effects).

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

If you compare the OEM size to the 255/55-18 you can see how much change you can expect to fit into the wheel well.

My GY 255/55-18 ResponseEdge tires used to rub a bit on the flexible plastic shroud in the rear, but they don't rub on anything metal or fixed that would cause a problem.

I speak with experience, when I say...

When I got my RX400h they had the factory good years on them. And, after the first dealer oil change (I changed the oil twice, prior to the factory recommendation), I decided to scrap the factory good years, and went with the GoodYear Eagle ResponsEdge. I have presently (close to 30,000 miles on them) and they look about half worn. More importantly, I am extremely impressed by them. To date, (it will be three years come this Feb 2010 since I replaced the tires) I have followed tire rotation, and checked the wheel alignment just recently, and they continue to impress.

No noise, that was my number one criteria. Wonderfull in the rain, that was my second criteria (I do not drive them for winter, I have a spare tire rim setup for winter). Great handling over factory tires, that was my third criteria. Very high tire wear rating, that was my forth criteria. Price, was my final criteria, I believe they are very fairly priced given the technology and quality of the tire. And the bonus, they are a very stunning tire to look at, compared to what was available at the time (and even now, for that matter).

I went with... the following size and spec. I have experienced ZERO touching, rubbing, or abnormality of any kind. I find the vehicle to come with factory undersized tires, given the weight of the vehicle. I find the vehicle on the factory 400h rims, looks a whole lot better. The only way I run the factory size, in on my winter tire and rim setup.

Size: 255/55R18

Sidewall Style: Blackwall

Serv. Desc: 105VLoad Index 105 = 2039lbs (925kg) per tire

Speed Rating "V" = 149mph (240kph)

UTQG: Treadwear: 440

Traction: A

Temperature: A

440 A A

Cheers,

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a set of Nitto NT420S XL tires from discounttiredirect.com.

255/55/18

They are SWEET! They definetely add to the overall looks of the ride and make it a little more "manly!" The tread pattern is aggressive yet FULLY FUNCTIONAL! I know because of all the gully washers we have had lately! They resist hydroplaning well and are super sticky! The sidewalls are strong and aid in poor traction during body roll.

Ill post pictures soon. I think they look great...heck...even better than the Response Edge that some have purchased.

• 2 weeks later...

We opted to upgrade to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas, and went up to 255 x 55 R18 from the stock Michelin 235 x 55.

tire_800.JPG

The differences are startling. Ours is a 2007, the stock tires had around 20k on them, and felt like we were running on raw steel.

First, and clearly superficially, the car looks far better. I'm sorry, the 235 tires look like bicycle tires and are simply not the right look to our eyes. Lexus has a history of doing this, and though I am sure there is some MPG issue to factor, you cannot discount having more rubber on the road under certain circumstances. It is not stupid looking now in terms of over sized, it is now in proportion.

Secondly, the car now feels like it is gripping the road. On the stock Michelins the feel was like it was balanced on a beam, not grippy in the least. This is our weekend car, her daily car. On a daily basis I drive an M5 BMW, so I have a basis with which to compare handling and feel.

We have a twisty, mountainous road (Highway 17) to traverse to reach the Valley and the car feels very secure now. Neither my wife nor myself previously felt particularly nimble or agile driving this road, notably when it was wet with run-off.

As others have noted, there is no rubbing of any kind, lock to lock, nor is the alignment off because of the wider tire.

It looks and rides very well. The size upgrade alone is highly recommended, the specific tire also but there are five or six brands very tightly rated and that decision is perhaps best left to the dealer relationship, price or historical preference.

I just purchased a set of Nitto NT420S XL tires from discounttiredirect.com.

255/55/18

They are SWEET! They definetely add to the overall looks of the ride and make it a little more "manly!" The tread pattern is aggressive yet FULLY FUNCTIONAL! I know because of all the gully washers we have had lately! They resist hydroplaning well and are super sticky! The sidewalls are strong and aid in poor traction during body roll.

Ill post pictures soon. I think they look great...heck...even better than the Response Edge that some have purchased.

Not to "dis" you back, but... if you ever get to put 30,000+ miles on your Nitto, come back and post. I know for a fact, the Good Year ResponsEdge are AMAZING. So the bonus to me, is that they do look Awesome. I know the Factory Good Years were not very good, but then again, they were a factory tire (and as a rule of thumb, most oem vehicle tires are on the low end in terms of quality).

I personally think the thread layout on the Nitto's you purchased, look "odd". I hope for you, they serve you well and do wish you luck with them. Personally, Nitto tires do come from the bottom of the gene pool, when it comes to the tire jungle.

Cheers,

MadloR