Power Steering Flush

stroker

I've found that when I went to add P/S fluid that the dipstick was quite gummy so I just topped off the fluid level and closed the hood.. I feel that the system needs a real good flush..Is there some kind of cleaner to flush the system or do I have to waste new ATF?? Thanks to all. B.

Turkey baster or pump.

Pump fluid out of the reservoir, replace with same amount of new fluid, start car and turn the wheel lock to lock about 20-30 times.

Repeat until the fluid coming out is nice and red.

this would be the easiest way to flush it all out. When I did this I used Mobil1 Synthetic fluid.

Turkey baster or pump.

Pump fluid out of the reservoir, replace with same amount of new fluid, start car and turn the wheel lock to lock about 20-30 times.

Repeat until the fluid coming out is nice and red.

this would be the easiest way to flush it all out. When I did this I used Mobil1 Synthetic fluid.

thanks for your reply..Did you use mobil 1 synthetic brake fluid or tranny fluid? My book says tranny fluid.. Thanks again, Bob

Don't suck it out!! Unscrew the solenoid at the rack and let drain out. While you're at it, clean the solenoid screen. Kill two birds with one stone!

The solenoid screen should be cleaned every couple years to minimize the problems the OP mentions.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400-foru...freshen-up.html

While it is good to remove the solenoid to clean the screen letting the fluid drain, it would be good to do a proper flush (with ATF) by removing the return hose at the reservoir having the fluid drain into a gallon milk bottle while pouring new ATF into the reservoir. The pictures are gone, but here is an excellent thread explaining the procedure:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=6351

• 7 months later...