02 Ls430 Ml Subwoofer Replacement

derone

Well guys I went after it on saturday and it wasn't that bad. Probably the worst rear shelf speaker replacement but by no means the worst speaker install in any car I've done. The ML sub's VC had broke loose from the spider. Still played, but sounded like doo since VC was hitting the pole.

Some key points:

- ML 8" sub is a 12ohm(measured via DMM)

- Polk audio 8" sub has the same basket size as the ML sub

- Polk audio 8" sub with dual 8ohm voicecoils can be wired in series for ~12.4ohms(really ~6.2ohms per coil)

- tools: 10mm 1/4" drive and extension, 12mm deep 3/8" drive and extension, small 3/16" flat screwdriver, t-20 torx driver, solder gun, solder, 2 feet 16guage wire

So here's how the process goes:

1) remove seal bottom by pulling up on the front lower edge of it(3 pinch points).

2) use the screwdriver to unlatch the electrical conn. at each rear corner of the seat and remove the seat bottom from car.

3) find the 4 12mm bolts that hold the seat back bottom on and remove them all.

4) raise all 3 rear head rests, the 2 outers have a cover plug to pop off to reveal a 12mm nut each.

5) pull the center arm rest down and grab the surround cover(has 2 rubber !Removed! on it) at the top and pull forward and down to reveal last 12mm nut, remove the nut.

6) lift the seat back up an inch and then forward a couple of inches, use screwdriver to unlatch electrical connector at passenger side near the door opening/wheel well, remove seat back from car.

7) Open the 3 baby chair latch covers on the rear shelf and remove the 3 10mm bolts and brackets. latch covers stay in the shelf. Pull the speaker cover straight up to remove it from the shelf.

8) Remove the 2 black push fasteners(christmas trees) from the front edge of the rear shelf.

9) lift the shelf former/fabric to reveal the 4 10mm speaker bolts and remove them, use screwdriver to unlatch speaker connection, use 6" 3/8 extension wedged between sheet metal and shelf former/fabric for access

10) remove speaker from under the shelf former/fabric, disassemble its mounting plates with 4 T-20 torx screws. unsolder connections at speaker side.

11) assemble plates on new speaker, solder speaker wires using black for +, red for -

12) install speaker, reverse steps from #9 and you're done.

Hope this helps,

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

I can't find a Polk Audio 8" with dual 8ohms I only find dual 4ohm speakers. Do you have the actual model number and where I can purchase one?

Thanks,

Scottie@screaming.com

Well guys I went after it on saturday and it wasn't that bad. Probably the worst rear shelf speaker replacement but by no means the worst speaker install in any car I've done. The ML sub's VC had broke loose from the spider. Still played, but sounded like doo since VC was hitting the pole.

Some key points:

- ML 8" sub is a 12ohm(measured via DMM)

- Polk audio 8" sub has the same basket size as the ML sub

- Polk audio 8" sub with dual 8ohm voicecoils can be wired in series for ~12.4ohms(really ~6.2ohms per coil)

- tools: 10mm 1/4" drive and extension, 12mm deep 3/8" drive and extension, small 3/16" flat screwdriver, t-20 torx driver, solder gun, solder, 2 feet 16guage wire

So here's how the process goes:

1) remove seal bottom by pulling up on the front lower edge of it(3 pinch points).

2) use the screwdriver to unlatch the electrical conn. at each rear corner of the seat and remove the seat bottom from car.

3) find the 4 12mm bolts that hold the seat back bottom on and remove them all.

4) raise all 3 rear head rests, the 2 outers have a cover plug to pop off to reveal a 12mm nut each.

5) pull the center arm rest down and grab the surround cover(has 2 rubber !Removed! on it) at the top and pull forward and down to reveal last 12mm nut, remove the nut.

6) lift the seat back up an inch and then forward a couple of inches, use screwdriver to unlatch electrical connector at passenger side near the door opening/wheel well, remove seat back from car.

7) Open the 3 baby chair latch covers on the rear shelf and remove the 3 10mm bolts and brackets. latch covers stay in the shelf. Pull the speaker cover straight up to remove it from the shelf.

8) Remove the 2 black push fasteners(christmas trees) from the front edge of the rear shelf.

9) lift the shelf former/fabric to reveal the 4 10mm speaker bolts and remove them, use screwdriver to unlatch speaker connection, use 6" 3/8 extension wedged between sheet metal and shelf former/fabric for access

10) remove speaker from under the shelf former/fabric, disassemble its mounting plates with 4 T-20 torx screws. unsolder connections at speaker side.

11) assemble plates on new speaker, solder speaker wires using black for +, red for -

12) install speaker, reverse steps from #9 and you're done.

Hope this helps,

Doug

• 3 months later...