It's Fixed ,almost

killerFatty

YEH I finally got my car fixed. Well Almost as you can see I am still missing a trim piece. I figure I came out pretty well too. My insurance called it totalled, but I bought it back and still got just over $3K from them. Here is the best part. A new door shell and fender from lexus is $1500. I got both of mine for $200 total. My body guy did all the painting and labor for $795 (plus $20 tip). So I came out with just about $2K in my pocket. Well in my LS's pocket that is. After I get that little piece of trim, $250 from the stealer, She needs the PS pump and houses done, plus an alternator and new battery. A break upgrade might be in the near future too. Here is the before and after pics.

post-76827-1234563025_thumb.jpgpost-76827-1234562507_thumb.jpgpost-3-1046375658.jpg

post-76827-1234562748_thumb.jpg

post-76827-1234563083_thumb.jpg

Edited by SKperformance
adjusted title

I'm probably goin to have to buy that trim from the dealer, but considering the fact that it comes pre-painted and with all the new clips and attachments, it's not too bad of deal at $250. My insurance rates arn't goin up that much, and once I can prove all the work is done the insurance will let me have full coverage back even though they called it totalled. She will be getting washed and waxed this weekend, and hopefully the trim will get ordered too. :D

totalled? insurance companies are nothing but a bunch of scam artists!
I think if he went through the conventional methods of repair, it would've certainly cost $3000+ to repair.

Generally a car is considered totalled if the price of the repair is 3/5 or more of the value of the car.

I think if he went through the conventional methods of repair, it would've certainly cost $3000+ to repair.

Generally a car is considered totalled if the price of the repair is 3/5 or more of the value of the car.

My insurance said the value of my car was $4700, but called it totalled at 75% of that. They are TOTAL scam artists :P .

The conventional estamit was nearly $4700 with all new parts and at an extremely high-end body shop. I think I got pretty lucky with my outcome, even though I might still need some minor susspinsion work. My alignement is slightly off again and I just had it alligned 2.5 weeks ago. Im thinking I will need new tie rod ends.

Looks good. Give it a good polish and nobody will have to know! :) Glad to see that it's almost fixed!!

Now go get a job to help you pay for the increased insurance premiums. :P

Well, no one will have to know that is until you get ready to sell it with a salvage title. Still all in all not a bad deal to keep a good everyday driver on the road. Just don't expect much for it when you go to sell it. I'm not sure, but I think you wouldn't be able to trade it in at a dealership? Your best bet and perhaps the only way will be a private sale.

Brett

Well, no one will have to know that is until you get ready to sell it with a salvage title. Still all in all not a bad deal to keep a good everyday driver on the road. Just don't expect much for it when you go to sell it. I'm not sure, but I think you wouldn't be able to trade it in at a dealership? Your best bet and perhaps the only way will be a private sale.

Brett

It's not a salvage title once I prove that all the works was done and have the pics to back it up. And I never plan on selling her. She is taking me through college and until I start making enough to buy a nice , brand new LS460L :D (or equivalent by the time that happens).

I will call carson and get the trim ordered aspap. I think I'll end up saving about $50 by using them. And as soon as I get it put on, my baby is getting a new PS pump and the flickering dash lights will be fixed by Jim Walker. Then it's on to the Jcrome exhaust. :) lol.

My insurance said the value of my car was $4700, but called it totalled at 75% of that. They are TOTAL scam artists :P .

The conventional estamit was nearly $4700 with all new parts and at an extremely high-end body shop. I think I got pretty lucky with my outcome, even though I might still need some minor susspinsion work. My alignement is slightly off again and I just had it alligned 2.5 weeks ago. Im thinking I will need new tie rod ends.

That's not scamming, that's just how it is! Didn't I just explain...?

If they valued your car at $4700, they probably would've totaled it so long as the cost of repair was above $2700 (3/5ths of the value of the car).

:)

and the flickering dash lights will be fixed by Jim Walker.

I would not recommend Jim Walker. Just do a search for his name on this board.

I believe Mikado Technology repairs dash lights also. I worked with them in the past, but never for that problem. My experiences with them have always been good. They have a small staff, work fast, and are good communicators.

Brett

It's not a salvage title once I prove that all the works was done and have the pics to back it up. And I never plan on selling her. She is taking me through college and until I start making enough to buy a nice , brand new LS460L :D (or equivalent by the time that happens).

I will call carson and get the trim ordered aspap. I think I'll end up saving about $50 by using them. And as soon as I get it put on, my baby is getting a new PS pump and the flickering dash lights will be fixed by Jim Walker. Then it's on to the Jcrome exhaust. :) lol.

just out of curiosity, what kind of claim did it end up as?? As I recall, I stated they might do it as Comprehensive... Did they do collision instead?

• 2 weeks later...

I just took my car to exact performance to see what is recomended for my susspinsion and PS system. They said I need a new rack and pinion ($790 P&L) my PS high pressure hose($609 P&L if done with rack and pinion) Both front tie rod ends need to be replaced ($114 left $94 right P&L)BTW why is the left more than the right? ?They also recommended strongly that Both rear upper control arms be replaced for $886 P&L. I was wondering if I could do any of ths myself, and how these prices compare. Of course I will need 4-wheel alignment for $85. Should I buy the parts from carson, oreilly, or just let them take care of it? BTW they will install parts I bring in. THX

and the flickering dash lights will be fixed by Jim Walker.

I would not recommend Jim Walker. Just do a search for his name on this board.

I believe Mikado Technology repairs dash lights also. I worked with them in the past, but never for that problem. My experiences with them have always been good. They have a small staff, work fast, and are good communicators.

why would u not recommend jim walker?

I just took my car to exact performance to see what is recomended for my susspinsion and PS system. They said I need a new rack and pinion ($790 P&L) my PS high pressure hose($609 P&L if done with rack and pinion) Both front tie rod ends need to be replaced ($114 left $94 right P&L)BTW why is the left more than the right? ?They also recommended strongly that Both rear upper control arms be replaced for $886 P&L. I was wondering if I could do any of ths myself, and how these prices compare. Of course I will need 4-wheel alignment for $85. Should I buy the parts from carson, oreilly, or just let them take care of it? BTW they will install parts I bring in. THX

Gosh, that's quite a bit of work. Which mechanic looked over your car?

I would purchase the parts yourself. It is much less expensive that way. I generally like to stick with OEM Toyota parts on my car. A remanufactured steering rack (still an OEM part) would be OK to purchase from O'Reilly's, but I would get everything else from Sewell Lexus or Carson's.

http://www.oreillyautoparts.com/EW3/Produc...p;currentPage=0

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/assembly....09&year=154

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_det...63679&all=Y

I would not recommend Jim Walker because of the bad experiences other members of this board have had with his services. I have not done business with him for that reason.

I have never had the "flickering dash light problem", but I have done business with another company, Mikado Technology, that also repairs dash lights and was very impressed with them.

Gosh, that's quite a bit of work. Which mechanic looked over your car?

I would purchase the parts yourself. It is much less expensive that way. I generally like to stick with OEM Toyota parts on my car. A remanufactured steering rack (still an OEM part) would be OK to purchase from O'Reilly's, but I would get everything else from Sewell Lexus or Carson's.

http://www.oreillyautoparts.com/EW3/Produc...p;currentPage=0

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/assembly....09&year=154

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_det...63679&all=Y

Thanks a lot. that was a big help. Exact didn't give me the break down for parts and labor, but I think I can asume that it will be cheaper to buy the parts myself. I do plan on calling them to see what the cost is just for labor. Again thanks for those link Thomas.

Thanks a lot. that was a big help. Exact didn't give me the break down for parts and labor, but I think I can asume that it will be cheaper to buy the parts myself. I do plan on calling them to see what the cost is just for labor. Again thanks for those link Thomas.

Sounds like a good idea. It has been my experience that the estimates the service writer gives are almost never binding.

Be prepared to pay a little bit more than he quotes you. For example, the labor costs for the last repair I had done at Exact were estimated to be $325....it ended up being over $400.

That would make some people angry, but I am more than willing to put up with it for the excellent service I get from Fred. He is one of the few people I actually trust with my vehicle.

I would not recommend Jim Walker because of the bad experiences other members of this board have had with his services. I have not done business with him for that reason.

I have never had the "flickering dash light problem", but I have done business with another company, Mikado Technology, that also repairs dash lights and was very impressed with them.

well that being said, thats about as good as a recommendation can get....i have needles that dont light up all the way to the end of them, i would love to get them to work like new....maybe i will contact mikado, thanks

I just bought the parts. Outer tie rod ends and high pressure hose from swell for just about $490. The rack was ordered from autozone for $260 plus $150 core and will arrive tuesday. I leave for New York on friday, so I wont be able to have them installed until I get back, but I will be shure to post back when I do. Thanks for all the great info you guys have gave me. This place ROCKS

If you are still looking for that trim piece email me at casterman1@sbcglobal.net -- I think we have a Gold 92 LS400 that we are going to part out and it has this color trim piece