2009 Pricing Research

Am looking to purchase a new 2009 RX350 and I am currently doing my price research before descending into the bowels of the beast (going to my local dealer :) ).

While looking at Edmunds I have noticed that their "what others are paying" price is about 95% of Invoice price. That is very un-expected for this type of car, even considering today's depressed economic conditions. I would not be surprised to see the normal price to be invoice to invoice + $500, but not below. Even considering a 2% holdback, that looks wrong.

Have I just blundered on an error in Edmunds or is anyone out there really seeing these types of deals?

Actually, about $2500 under invoice seemed to be the going price during December. Lexus had a $2500 cash rebate to the dealers (it expired January 05, 2009). It appeared the dealers where applying almost the entire rebate to the sale. Edmunds will also tell you what incentives are available. I just checked and Edmunds is now showing a $5000 manufacturer "cash to dealer" incentive. I am assuming that is per vehicle. Since the 2010 models are supposedly due on the lots in a few months, it appears Lexus is trying to unload all the 2009 inventory as quickly as possible. I suspect excess inventory that is driving the Toyota plant shutdowns announced a week or so ago also has a significant influence on this.

Thanks!

Now that you mentioned it, I remember those annoying TV ads that run every year at Xmas. I tune them out when not in the market for a new ride.

As for the $5000 dealer incentive, I did see that earlier, it looks like the "cost to the dealer" that I use as the base for negotiations just went down by that amount. Looking forward to see just how hungry my local dealer is.

If you have a good dealership there should be no real negotiating required. Last month the local dealership simply gave us a price at $2500 under invoice with almost no prior discussion and we simply said yes. The salesman was one of the most professional I dealt with in 39 years of buying new cars.

• 2 weeks later...

So if I understand it correctly. I should negotiate price first and then ask to apply the rebate? I was looking at a RX350 and I dont care for Nav but they thats all they had. Price was quoted to me $38700. So I should tell them $38700-$5000 cash? And is this rebate taxable?

Thanks

Just bought a new 2009 rx350 w/nav all wd 16 miles on.....The sticker was 46241.00 THE BEST PRICE I HAD ON THE CAR 5 MONTHS AGO WAS $500 ABOVE INVOICE $41700.00 I HEARD THE DEALERS WERE SELLING THE CAR AT INVOICE LAST MONTH.... THEN I READ ON LEXUS OWNERS CLUB THAT THE DEALER WAS RECEIVING $5000.00 AS AN INCENTIVE TO MOVE THE 2009 RX350... SO I PUT 2 AND 2 TOGETHER AND CAME UP WITH A PRICE OF $36200.00 AFTER CALLING 4 DIFFERENT DEALERS AS WELL AS 2 ONLINE CARFINDERS 2 DEALERS AGREED TO MY PRICE AFTER SEVERAL CALLS BACK AND FOURTH

I BELIEVE THE $5000.00 ENDS 2-2-2009 AFTER THEN WHO KNOWS

GOOS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUY THE CAR FOR INVOICE MINUS $5000.00 IN ADDITION YOU WILL SAVE YOUR STATES TAX AS WELL....

I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR MY WIFE...SHE HAD A 2000RX300 NO NAV OR BU CAMERA . SHE SAID SHE DIDNT NEED NAV OR BU CAMERA...... AFTER DRIVING HOME FROM THE DEALER SHE TOLD ME SHE CANT LIVE WITHOUT IT. LOL MRDAVE

PS ONE DEALER TOLD ME IF I DIDNT ASK FOR THE $5000.00 INCENTIVE HE WOULD NOT HAVE OFFERED IT TO ME.

I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR MY WIFE...SHE HAD A 2000RX300 NO NAV OR BU CAMERA . SHE SAID SHE DIDNT NEED NAV OR BU CAMERA...... AFTER DRIVING HOME FROM THE DEALER SHE TOLD ME SHE CANT LIVE WITHOUT IT. LOL MRDAVE

Even with the Nav system gimped by lexus, I think it is amazing.

It integrates well with the rest of the car, it is accurate, even when it loses signal in parking garages, it is touchscreen which most manufacturers do not have. My wife and I love the Lexus Nav and would not buy one without Nav.

I just bought a 09 RX350 Pebble Beach Edition with Nav, only 9 miles on the car, and MSRP is 46056. I paid 36000 plus TTL. I'm in Houston.

Woah...nice deal you worked out there!

More details please! Did you go in and take hostages or something? :D Do it all online?

Congrats and welcome to the LOC!

I just bought a 09 RX350 Pebble Beach Edition with Nav, only 9 miles on the car, and MSRP is 46056. I paid 36000 plus TTL. I'm in Houston.

OK, you are making me very sick. I purchased an 09 Pebble Beach with similar MSRP and got no where near that deal. If you don't mind, where and when and what tricks!

I just went in late Friday (about 7pm, they are close at 7:30) to Sterling MCCall Lexus (South 59). I live about few miles away. They offered me 40,000 on the same car I got and I said if they can do 36,000, I'd deal tonight. He spent few minutes with his manager and came back with 36,500. I said that's it and about to walk out. He told me to wait and talk to his manager again. He came back with the deal. They offered me 6.99 APR on financing but I didn't agree. I deposited $1,000 to hold the car and went home, did some research and got the 5.5% with Capital One. Talked to them in the morning and they matched the rate. Picked it up few hours after that. So far very happy with it. The funny thing is I don't know if I can even get a better deal since I only gave one number (36,000) :)

If anyone wants to know the sales person, pm me.

I just went in late Friday (about 7pm, they are close at 7:30) to Sterling MCCall Lexus (South 59). I live about few miles away. They offered me 40,000 on the same car I got and I said if they can do 36,000, I'd deal tonight. He spent few minutes with his manager and came back with 36,500. I said that's it and about to walk out. He told me to wait and talk to his manager again. He came back with the deal. They offered me 6.99 APR on financing but I didn't agree. I deposited $1,000 to hold the car and went home, did some research and got the 5.5% with Capital One. Talked to them in the morning and they matched the rate. Picked it up few hours after that. So far very happy with it. The funny thing is I don't know if I can even get a better deal since I only gave one number (36,000) :)

Just registered and this is my first post.

The end of last month, I bought my 09 RX350 with Nav at around 38300 (I could be wrong. but I paid 41300 for EVERYTHING, including tax, for taking it home). Was this deal good enough? I had no knoweldge of this $5000 incentive. I live in Maryland.

Thanks for your input!

Wow, that was a great deal you got there, what was the invoice for your vehicle? I guess the bad economy + incoming redesigned RX models = deep discount. I hope you will keep your car for a long time because it's already dropped like a rock in value as we speak and even more in February where the new 2010 coming out. My RX400h has lot its value in almost 3K from late December 08 to now. ENJOY your new ride!

Just registered and this is my first post.

The end of last month, I bought my 09 RX350 with Nav at around 38300 (I could be wrong. but I paid 41300 for EVERYTHING, including tax, for taking it home). Was this deal good enough? I had no knoweldge of this $5000 incentive. I live in Maryland.

Thanks for your input!

Shoot man, sounds like a great deal to me. I think with all that is going on you never know what the best deal is going to be day-to-day.

Welcome to LOC and congrats!

Wow, that was a great deal you got there, what was the invoice for your vehicle? I guess the bad economy + incoming redesigned RX models = deep discount. I hope you will keep your car for a long time because it's already dropped like a rock in value as we speak and even more in February where the new 2010 coming out. My RX400h has lot its value in almost 3K from late December 08 to now. ENJOY your new ride!

Thanks. I didn't really check the invoice but the MSRP is $46,056. I got the Pebble Beach Edition with NAV. I plan to keep this for a while so I don't worry much about the drop.

My wife and I just picked up a FWD Pebble Beach w/Nav this week for $35,500 before tax and fees. MSRP was $46,000. We probably talked to 10 dealers with some even further than 100 miles. At the end 3 dealers offered $35,500 or less. We settled on the dealer that was closest to us.

Thanks everyone for the info & advice. I waited around for the last day of the month and got a Pebble Beach + Nav for $36,000 (before tax, title, etc). Picking it up next week.

Probably should have waited for Feb EOM (another month of bad economy & closer to 2010 models), but figured why take the chance.

My key learnings coming out of this: Know your facts about dealer costs & current incentives. Compute a fair price you are willing to pay. Stick to that price no matter what sentiment the salesperson is trying to appeal to. Be ready to walk.

Thanks everyone for the info & advice. I waited around for the last day of the month and got a Pebble Beach + Nav for $36,000 (before tax, title, etc). Picking it up next week.

Probably should have waited for Feb EOM (another month of bad economy & closer to 2010 models), but figured why take the chance.

My key learnings coming out of this: Know your facts about dealer costs & current incentives. Compute a fair price you are willing to pay. Stick to that price no matter what sentiment the salesperson is trying to appeal to. Be ready to walk.

Hey! Good deal!

You know what? Don't worry about the difference between now and then. The problem with waiting too long is that you may not find the one with the options and colors you want. You got a great deal and the car you wanted!

Let us know how it goes!

:cheers:

Hey! Good deal!

You know what? Don't worry about the difference between now and then. The problem with waiting too long is that you may not find the one with the options and colors you want. You got a great deal and the car you wanted!

Let us know how it goes!

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Feb. 2 is end of the current Lexus market support; I'm looking at an RX350 with the options I want, and it appears to be the only one of that kind within 100miles (the others are more expensive/more options). Last month, Lexus had discontinued the Dec. market support Jan 5, but then introduced the Jan support (double the Dec. amount) on Jan 8. Do I wait, on the hope that Feb 5 they will introduce a higher support amount, or do I pull the trigger tonight (Feb. 2nd) because of the 'only' RX with my options and because of the unknown (but estimated to be at least as much as current, "if" it comes) support to be announced. Answer: I'll be buying tonight, unless Lexus pre-announces the next support today. A good price is a good price. I'm not a gambler: the potential loss would sting more than the potential gain would satisfy.

Like you, I'm not going to take the chance.

But if ANYONE knows what Lexus will be announcing for the Feb incentive/support - please post it quick, before tonight!!!!!

Hey! Good deal!

Let us know how it goes!

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Feb. 2 is end of the current Lexus market support; I'm looking at an RX350 with the options I want, and it appears to be the only one of that kind within 100miles (the others are more expensive/more options). Last month, Lexus had discontinued the Dec. market support Jan 5, but then introduced the Jan support (double the Dec. amount) on Jan 8. Do I wait, on the hope that Feb 5 they will introduce a higher support amount, or do I pull the trigger tonight (Feb. 2nd) because of the 'only' RX with my options and because of the unknown (but estimated to be at least as much as current, "if" it comes) support to be announced. Answer: I'll be buying tonight, unless Lexus pre-announces the next support today. A good price is a good price. I'm not a gambler: the potential loss would sting more than the potential gain would satisfy.

Like you, I'm not going to take the chance.

But if ANYONE knows what Lexus will be announcing for the Feb incentive/support - please post it quick, before tonight!!!!!

Well, pulled the trigger tonight. We'' see what Lexus does in a few days. If there is another 'support' program from Lexus, will someone post it, plse? Tks!

Any update on the new incentives?

I have been planning on buying a low mileage certified RX330/350. While researching what I should pay I stumbled on this website. I was going to pay close to $30K for an 08 RX350, 16K miles, premium package but no navigation. Seeing what some of you paid for brand new - $35-36K - makes me feel that I can do better.

I am in Dallas and prefer to buy from Sewell as I have had great service experiences there.

Any advice for me?