Rear Tail/stop Light Bulb Replacement

NJRX300

Does anyone have any advice on changing the light bulb in the rear tail light/stop light assembly on a 2000 RX300? I tried taking the assembly off the car but was unsuccessful. After removing the two obvious bolts, it would not come apart. I fear that you have to tear up half the interior lining to get at the bulb. Any advice would be helpful. I am not ready to accept that I have to make a service appointment just to change a light bulb. Isn't there a joke about this - How many lexus service men does it take to change a light bulb...

Thanks in advance

NJRX300

• 2 weeks later...

NJRX300 I am feeling your pain as well. I have looked up and down, in and out and can not figure out how to replace the rear parking light. I looked at pulling out the entire inside interior but after starting figured there has to be another way. So i guess I will conitnue to check back here to see if anyone gives us any help.

Remove the two obvious screws and try to loosen the plastic lens from the car body; often the lens gasket may be stuck to the body. If the lens will still not come loose, take a flat tipped screwdriver (that is rapped in masking tape to avoid scratching the paint) and place the tip between the lens and the body and lightly pry around the perimeter of the lens. This should free it from the body.

Turn over the lens and you will see two bulb receptacles with wires sticking into to them. Twist the receptacle to the left to expose the bulb. Pull the bulb from the receptacle and replace. Be sure to fully seat the new bulb in the receptacle

Lexus01, thanks for the advice and encouragement to be a little more bold with the taillight assembly. I applied the screwdriver solution you recommended and it popped right out. Changing the bulb was easy after that. However, it was not the gasket that was the sticking point. There are two plastic snap pins that seem to be used both as a guide for mounting the assembly and as part of the retention mechanism. It was these pins that I was fighting on my first unsuccesful try. They snap right back into place when remounting.

Thanks Again

NJRX300

P.S. ncmarine2001 it was a snap once you get beyond thinking you might break something. Just pry the assembly out of its two sockets. Good Luck!