How To Remove The Crossbars Off The Car Rack?

Liu_RN

I recently bought a Thule Car Rack and since it already has the 48" crossbars, there's no sense in keeping the Lexus RX350's crossbars on.

The problem is that the screws underneath the crossbar are very hard to get to.; you don't want to scratch the paint. They look like allen wrench screw but not sure.

My question is : Is there a special tool used to unscrew the screws underneath the crossbars? Has anyone removed their crossbars & how & what tool did you use to do it?

Thank you in advance for any information.

I recently bought a Thule Car Rack and since it already has the 48" crossbars, there's no sense in keeping the Lexus RX350's crossbars on.

The problem is that the screws underneath the crossbar are very hard to get to.; you don't want to scratch the paint. They look like allen wrench screw but not sure.

My question is : Is there a special tool used to unscrew the screws underneath the crossbars? Has anyone removed their crossbars & how & what tool did you use to do it?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Try this:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...amp;hl=crossbar

Thank you. I just took off my cross bars. It took about 10 minutes. Basically there are 2 small insert tabs on each side of the back side rail cover & one center slot tab that slide on to a yellow round plastic disc insert that sticks up from railing hold down unit. That's why you have to lift up & push back to get the round disc out of the slot.

As for the insert tabs on each side of the cover, it's seems impossible not to break off the insert tab, esp. the ones on the inside edge of the cover when your removing it because you don't know where it's located at until the cover is removed. Someone said to pull up to release the tabs but I could barely get the cover to pull up. I think the slotted insert was holding it down. Someone also said to squeeze the bottom of the cover then push away. I finally got it off by just pushing the cover away. The insert tab on the outside edge came out nicely but the inside edge tab broke off. Once the cover is off then your home free as it is very simple to slide the cross bars out after just taking out the one screw that is in the way. I super glued the broken tab, so I hope that can hold it. (super glue worked for the broken tab! To put the cover back on, take the yellow disc tab out first & put it in the insert slot, then its just a matter of snapping it back on, very easy)

So for those who may want to take off their cross bars, I've enclosed a picture of the back side rail cover to show you what the bottom looks like & where the 2 insert tabs are located at & the center insert slot; knowing where they are located at may help you to remove the cover without breaking the insert tab. The tab on top left is the inside railing side and bottom right is the outside railing side. The middle is where the yellow disc tab slides in.

post-72028-1225343849_thumb.jpg