Vinyl Repair

lenore

B) Well last weekend my wife had the GPS clipped on the passenger window and rolled the window down to put a sunshade up. yep, wiped out the vinyl trim on the top of the door. The clip tore a 1 and 1/4 inch slit into the vinyl cover. Best quote i got was $100. and no guarantee of visability. Well I figured if they can do it I can. Went to autozone and bought the permatex kit for vinyl and leather repair. A little scarey but I practiced on a sheet of paper for mixing the color. Their tip is to smear some on the area near the tear and match the color and then wipe off. You start with a clear vinyl repair glue and let dry for 4 hours, then do the color with a texture paper and heat iron (supplied in the kit) Well I did it last night on my wifes RX300 (grey interior) and her eyes coulnt believe it. Completely gone. color was a dead on match with mixing black with white until you get the right grey. sounds hard, but I am very happy and so is my wife. Cost ???? $15 for the kit. And enough to do at lot of vinyl and leather repairs on any color. Never done it before and the results were fantastic. Just takes a brave soul to melt that vinyl on the existing fabric. Good luck to all, highly recommend the Permatex kit.

Good Job lenore! glad to hear that. Really. It amazes me how many people are afraid of things like that. I sorta wished you had taken and posted some before and after pics too.

Hi lenore.

Thanks for the post. I'm curious if the torn pieces were able to be placed back together without a gap? I have a tear but a small, perhaps 1/8 inch square piece of vinyl is missing. Based on your now expert experience, will this kit fill in a small gap? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but just don't know how much of a repair that kit can do. Thanks for any insight,

regards

Yes the instructions in the kit tell you how. they provide a fabric backing for the initial glueing when there is a large gap. Good luck.

• 5 months later...
Yes the instructions in the kit tell you how. they provide a fabric backing for the initial glueing when there is a large gap. Good luck.

Hey lenore, I was referred to you by Smooth1 for a leather tear in the door panel in my 2007 ES350. I wanted to get it replaced but by what you say it sounds like the kit is much better to go with! I have included pics of the damage, do you think this would work out good? I am really nervous about doing such a thing because I don't want to make it worse :unsure: CAn you give me some tips to make it unnoticeable? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated! I actually have an auto zone about 5 min away too if needed haha!

post-68371-1233327994_thumb.jpg

post-68371-1233328002_thumb.jpg

should work out fine...just follow the kit instructions carefully....and read this post... note if you dont feel comfortable the going rate is around $100 to fix it... and they use basically the same kit.... by the way the tear I had was just as bad.... the GPS clip buried itself in the upper door panel....