Trac Off/vsc/check Engine Lite

smyrnagc

Today the Trac Off/VSC/Check Engine lite came on on my 2003 Rx 300. I saw a previous thread about oxygen sensors. Can anyone give me some advice here (what it is, how to fix, etc.)?

Thanks, Hal

Nashville

Hal,

AutoZone also scans for free. What is the code? P0171 /01 /02 ?

Let us know.

Well...After doing some internet research I found where you can take the EFI fuse out for 30 seconds and then replace it and it will clear all three of these lights. Then once put back in if the lights come back on then it is a service issue. So far, after running the engine for a while, the lights have not come back on.

GIve me some advice on this...I just bought this Lexus for my wife, boy am I getting treated special, and something tells me that the 87 octane gas that I have been putting in it might be setting off the oxygen sensor due to carbon build up. Does this sound right? Should I be using a higer octane?

Thanks, Hal

Nashville

Oh yeah...If they come back on I will go down to Auto Zone and get the code for you guys.

I appreciate your help...We really love this vehicle!

Hal

Well - That's both good and bad.

Good - because you think you got rid of your problem.

Bad - because now you would not know what the true reason was why your Check Engine Light came on in the 1st place.

If there is a definite prob. your Check Engine Light will come back on in about 10 miles.

Pulling fuse will reset the Check Light but will not fix the problem - if there is one.

When your ECU detects a lean/rich condition it will disable your TRAC/VSC/Check Engine Light again.

Now more than ever is when you would need to put more quality fuel into your RX since your problem/s may possibly be caused by poor engine injection/combustion. You may now need to buy fuel injector treatments to flush out those gum and varnish that have accumulated and clogging up your injection system producing lower gas mileage and poor performance.

FYI - it's possible that if and when the CEL comes back on it may disable your Over-Drive and put your RX into limp/safe mode. That means that if you get caught far away from home - you may have to "limp" home - or tow.

Be Safe and Drive Safely.

Same thing happened yesterday in my 2004 RX330. I'm stopping by AutoZone today to get codes, but please continue to post your findings up here, as I'll continue to check back. Thanks, Hal.

-julie

Hal,

AutoZone gave me the error code this morning: P0420 - which is for the O2 sensor. I'm assuming it will cost me roughly $400 to fix, but that's better than the alternative - replacing the catalytic converter.

-julie

• 2 months later...
Same thing happened yesterday in my 2004 RX330. I'm stopping by AutoZone today to get codes, but please continue to post your findings up here, as I'll continue to check back. Thanks, Hal.

-julie

they gave me an error code P0402. What it is? Is there a big problem? i got an RX 300. i bought a new gas cap, but it continues doing it.

Well...After doing some internet research I found where you can take the EFI fuse out for 30 seconds and then replace it and it will clear all three of these lights. Then once put back in if the lights come back on then it is a service issue. So far, after running the engine for a while, the lights have not come back on.

GIve me some advice on this...I just bought this Lexus for my wife, boy am I getting treated special, and something tells me that the 87 octane gas that I have been putting in it might be setting off the oxygen sensor due to carbon build up. Does this sound right? Should I be using a higer octane?

Thanks, Hal

Nashville

Hal, depending on where you live you may save a couple of dollars by using Premium anyway. I never thought of it this way but due to the better MPG I most definitely get slightly better MPG with Premium versus regular in my 01 RX 300. My wife has a Toyota Highlander and she does too. When you do the math we actually save 2 -3 dollars using premium versus regular. Probably better for your car too. Its worth checking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I also had all three lights come on. Went to Autozone and their reader said P1155. Air fuel sensor Bank 2 sensor 1. Replaced sensor and cleared codes. Everything good. Wife drove the car that night and it spit and sputtered and 3 lights came back on. I shut it off, waited a few minutes and it drove fine. Checked codes with a buddies CarMD reader and it threw 14 codes all pointing to the mass air flow sensor. Bought a reman. MAF at autozone, installed it and hooked the hose back on the air filter assembly(?) and lights were gone. Drove the car 160 miles round trip Thanksgiving Day and lights came back on. Took car to Toyota dealer next morning and they ran codes on there computer. MAF sensor bad, a/f sensor bad, plugs misfiring. Car was running fine. Ordered new MAF sensor from Toyota. Car is parked till it comes in.

Be careful buying reman. parts from Autozone or Advance auto

• 13 years later...
On 9/9/2008 at 1:38 AM, pitorro7306 said:

they gave me an error code P0402. What it is? Is there a big problem? i got an RX 300. i bought a new gas cap, but it continues doing it.

When I got my rx300 it had no gas cap..no lights on dash at all either..I stop n got a gas cap and tightened til it clicked 3 times and then my vsc and check engine light came on..I loosened the cap and reset the codes this morning..gonna see if its just the aftermarket gas caps and throws it again..hopefully it won't as id drove maybe 5miles when it had decided to kick on..gas cap is the only thing I'd messed w so we shall see lol..I know from past experience my Honda engine light wld come on if the cap wasn't clicked 3 times..maybe its a Lexus or aftermarket cap thing...