Headlights Restored!

CVN86

If you guys ever need a headlight restoration in the bay area, check this guy out because he just did a beautiful job on my headlights. All the oxidation and yellow haze is gone and my headlights are crystal clear! :lol: He also does an awesome job with auto detailing so if you're interested I highly recommend him.

Leo Chan

http://detailaddict.com/

post-64792-1213166890_thumb.jpg

post-64792-1213166906_thumb.jpg

The results aren't as good if you don't have a machine to polish out the lights. They may have even wetsanded his lights.

There are MANY polishes out there for this.

I done this once before on my Mustang. The lights were worse than those in the picture. What it is is the clear coat on the headlights got damaged from the oxidation and yellow haze are from years of under the sunlight and parking on the streets. It was up to the point that with or without headlights on didn't make a difference driving at night. Here is what I did for under $15.

1. Wet sand with 600 grid sandpaper to get the first layer of clear coat off.

2. Wet sand with 1200 grid sandpaper to get the stubborn yellow stuff off.

3. Wet sand with 200 grid sandpaper to smooth and even out the surface. You might notice the lights actually look worse than before standing. They might look creamy white at this point after you dry them off. It's ok.

4. Buy a small can of clear and spray two thin layers over the lights. Allow the first layer to dry first before the 2nd layer. Once you spray the clear coat on, you will notice the creamy white is gone and the headlights look just like new. Don't over apply the clear coat or it might look dull.

Some guys try using polish, but the polish comes off during rain.

I redid the plastic lenses on my ES about a year ago.

I used a product called CrystalView. I found it at WalMart of all places. It was $20 for the packet and contains enough to do both sides.

CrystalView Website

It comes with two grades of sand paper, pads, detailed instructions, two x two chemical packets (one was a polish compound and the other was a clear chemical sealer). It took about an hour to do both sides. You have to wet sand, polish, rinse, let dry, apply, let dry, apply again and then you are done.

The lights looked like new and last much longer than traditional buffing.

steviej

I redid the plastic lenses on my ES about a year ago.

I used a product called CrystalView. I found it at WalMart of all places. It was $20 for the packet and contains enough to do both sides.

CrystalView Website

It comes with two grades of sand paper, pads, detailed instructions, two x two chemical packets (one was a polish compound and the other was a clear chemical sealer). It took about an hour to do both sides. You have to wet sand, polish, rinse, let dry, apply, let dry, apply again and then you are done.

The lights looked like new and last much longer than traditional buffing.

steviej

That stuff looking interesting. I have one slightly hazed lens that I wouldn't mind trying it on. The website says "about five minutes to restore each lens" which is one sixth the length of time you spent on restoring your lenses, but if it works, who cares if it takes five minutes or half an hour. I'll check out WalMart first though before ordering on-line. Thanks for the info.

:cheers:

The website says "about five minutes to restore each lens" which is one sixth the length of time you spent on restoring your lenses, but if it works, who cares if it takes five minutes or half an hour.

I said an hour cause I included set up, getting everything ready and most of all, I am a perfectionist so I read and reread the directions throughout the process. The time spent sanding can be a little or a lot. I am sure it will vary from person to person. I have used this product on several friends' cars as well and I must say it is a good product.

steviej

I just tried a Meguiar's product called PlastX - was strolling through the mens mall - otherwise known as Mills Fleet Farm & picked up a bottle. Just tried a bit while I was still in the parking lot & wow, what a difference. I keep a microfiber cloth in the car for quick wipe ups & all I did was rub a dab of it around in small circles and then polished it off with the other half of the cloth. Total time for cleaning both headlights was about 10 minutes. A very quick & easy fix. I'm sure that if you wanted to, you could spend a whole lot more time & money and get a little bit better clarity, but for the approximate $6.00 it took - and a few funny looks from the other people in the parking lot - I'm very happy.

I was using the Mequiars PlastX, but the hazyness always came back in a few months.

With the CrystalView, it didn't come back, at least up until I sold the car last month.

steviej

that Mequiar PlasticX is useless stuff. the problem is the clear coat on the lens got oxidized over the years. the PlasticX is a polish and can't remove the oxidize clear coat. you might as well use toothpaste. it does the same job as PlasticX. toothpaste is a good polish as well.

to restore your headlights, you need to remove the oxidized/yellow clear coat by sanding and paint a new clear coat on. see my instructions above.

Just letting others out there know that with very minimal effort - if the lenses are not that bad to begin with - you can give it a try for under $6.00.

I'm sure that any lens out there that has been left without attention for long enough will definately need a much more aggresive treatment.

I done this once before on my Mustang. The lights were worse than those in the picture. What it is is the clear coat on the headlights got damaged from the oxidation and yellow haze are from years of under the sunlight and parking on the streets. It was up to the point that with or without headlights on didn't make a difference driving at night. Here is what I did for under $15.

3. Wet sand with 200 grid sandpaper to smooth and even out the surface. You might notice the lights actually look worse than before standing. They might look creamy white at this point after you dry them off. It's ok.

4. Buy a small can of clear and spray two thin layers over the lights. Allow the first layer to dry first before the 2nd layer. Once you spray the clear coat on, you will notice the creamy white is gone and the headlights look just like new. Don't over apply the clear coat or it might look dull.

I think this guy meant 2000 grit sandpaper..not 200...why would you use a more course paper at the end of the wet sanding?

Ok! I just did what was suggested above!

post-55488-1214098805_thumb.jpg

post-55488-1214098819_thumb.jpg

I am a perfectionist so I read and reread the directions throughout the process.

A perfectionist or someone suffering from short-term memory loss? j/k :P :D

I went to Wallymart so see if I could find some CrystalView there but no luck, so I'll definitely be ordering some on-line. Again, thanks for the tip. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I just tried the cleaner from Wal-Mart ($20) - it comes in foil packet- not to impressive but this stuff works. I've tried Meguiers, polishing compound, buffers, all kinds of chemicals and I am impressed with this stuff!

A lot of the polishes sold in the store do work for a short time. They will make the headlights look somewhat new again, but the polish comes off in the rain. The problem here is the clear coat got oxidized and sun damage over the years. To have a permanent fix, the existing clear coat must be remove and new clear coat applied.

Use the sanding method I indicated in the previous replies. Note. .minor error in the 3rd step should be 2000 grid paper, not 200 grid.

zockslexus posted some nice pictures using this sand paper method.

I just tried the cleaner from Wal-Mart ($20) - it comes in foil packet- not to impressive but this stuff works. I've tried Meguiers, polishing compound, buffers, all kinds of chemicals and I am impressed with this stuff!

It is called Crystal View and I swear by it. Takes about an hour to do both headlights but good stuff and lasts for a long time.

steviej

Thats not going to fix the problem though, if anything that will accelerate the issue because it wears down the clarcoat but doesn't replace them.

If you want to FIX the problem, the ClearVIew kit is the easiest way.