Silverstar Ultra Vs. Stock

jcrome04

Ok so I finally took some after pictures of my headlights so I could post up the difference. Wow guys the ULTRAs are SO BRIGHT!!!! It's ridiculous!!!! They look SO good at night EVERYTHING is lit up like it's mid-day! hahaha

Let me know what ya think! :D

BEFORE

DSCF0154.jpg

Low Beams

DSCF0155.jpg

High Beams

AFTER

DSCF0323.jpg

Low Beams WITHOUT Fogs

DSCF0324.jpg

Low Beams WITH Fogs (Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500k) B)

DSCF0325.jpg

High Beams (aka: Road Rage Beams) Let's hope no one wants to get flashed with these suckers! :) hahaha

Sold. I'm going out to buy some today! I've heard they don't last as long as oem but I like the additional brightness.

A pair of Silverstar Ultras cost in the range of $45-55, you can buy an HID kit for around $100, get three times the brightness for half the wattage and NEVER worry about filament failure.

Sold. I'm going out to buy some today! I've heard they don't last as long as oem but I like the additional brightness.

A pair of Silverstar Ultras cost in the range of $45-55, you can buy an HID kit for around $100, get three times the brightness for half the wattage and NEVER worry about filament failure.

I know the oem last forever. How about the Silverstars?

An alternative bulb to consider is the Sylvania XtraVision which is sold in Europe as the Silverstar.

XtraVision bulbs are not tinted blue to make the light look whiter but they do put out substantially more light than a standard bulb.

I installed a set of XtraVision bulbs in my wife's Camry a few months ago. They are a lot less expensive than the American Silverstars. If I remember correctly, I paid about $15 for a 2-pack of XtraVision bulbs at a discount store.

Unfortuately, XtraVision bulbs have been documented to have a relatively short life similar to that of American Silverstars. But at the price, the shorter life of the XtraVision bulbs is a little easier to swallow.

I have used silverstars (still do, High and Low beams) I find that I have to replace a bulb about every year. I always replace both and keep the working bulb as a spare.
One year seems awfully short, or is that normal for the Silverstars? I put PIAA bulbs in my car back in 2004, and I just had one burn out on me a few weeks ago, which was 3.5 years after the bulb was installed.

I have used silverstars (still do, High and Low beams) I find that I have to replace a bulb about every year. I always replace both and keep the working bulb as a spare.
One year seems awfully short, or is that normal for the Silverstars? I put PIAA bulbs in my car back in 2004, and I just had one burn out on me a few weeks ago, which was 3.5 years after the bulb was installed.

Maybe a little more than a year, I always drive with my headlights on. My High beams are almost 4 years old (this april), I hardly use them.

I agree DC. They last for $hit in my car. Based on other forums, I am not alone. The kicker is they last longer then PIAA. I bought a cheap pair on Ebay for $9 for a laugh and they blew OEM away.

I was almost going to put my HIDS back in since I have 3 extra kits...

Maybe a little more than a year, I always drive with my headlights on. My High beams are almost 4 years old (this april), I hardly use them.

So with DRL like we have up here, sounds like I'm not gonna get much longevity.

So with DRL like we have up here, sounds like I'm not gonna get much longevity.

eatingupblacktop, Are your DRL's your brights with limited power going to them ? Or are they the 194's in the bright light assy. ?

The Canadian 91LS DRL's use the regular LB's. I'm not sure what year they changed them to the attenuated HB's.

Bad news...

Halogen bulbs do not take kindly to be operated at voltages significantly below their design specifications.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...apsulation+2008

I don't know when the switch was made but the 95 LS400 of canadian purchase that I have has TWO high beam bulbs in each headlamp assembly. One is a dual filament, standard high/low beam bulb and the second is used as both high beam and DRL. In DRL mode the left and right single filament high beam bulbs are connected in parallel, operating at 6 volts each.

When I installed the hi/lo (bi-xenon) HID kit I disabled the second, single filament, high beam bulbs by removing both 20 Amp fuses in the engine compartment JB. So for the moment I have no DRL functionality, but even without the second high beam bulbs working with the HID kid I have more than enough low and high beam roadway illumination.

I am in the process of adding DRL capability via using two 3 watt Luxeon LEDs but I have not yet been able to get their brightness down to a reasonable level. Looks as if I have to go with side-emitting Luxeon LEDS.

I don't know when the switch was made but the 95 LS400 of canadian purchase that I have has TWO high beam bulbs in each headlamp assembly. One is a dual filament, standard high/low beam bulb and the second is used as both high beam and DRL. In DRL mode the left and right single filament high beam bulbs are connected in parallel, operating at 6 volts each.

That makes sense and it's a mod I would consider doing. It would make any Silverstars put in for the LB's last longer since I would no longer have to use them as DRL's.

In my old 91 LS I had Silverstars in for the entire time I owned the vehicle +1 year, never had a burn out.

also in my 89 Corolla GT-S for +1 year, no burn outs.

I think they're the best equivalent to HID's. And they're all the same wattage as the stocks so there will be no problems.

IIRC, the Silverstar Ultras tend to have longer life than the standard Silverstars.

I've had Ultras over 1 year so far with no burnout.

I had expensive PIAAs in an H4 housing on another car burn out <6 months with very limited use and I'll never overpay for the PIAA brand again.

i used to have them in my older LS, had to replace em every 3-4 month. tried different brands with no success. switched to HID 3 years ago and had no probs since then.

• 1 year later...

Looks like the cameras auto exposure could have skewed things a bit. Look at the front left running light in the before and after. It’s under exposed in the before (making overall picture darker) and over exposed in the after (making overall picture brighter). Anyway camera probably doesn't give the true effect anyway.

I love the HIDs in my ’04 LS430. Not sure drivers coming the other way are as thrilled about them though.

Looks like the cameras auto exposure could have skewed things a bit. Look at the front left running light in the before and after. It’s under exposed in the before (making overall picture darker) and over exposed in the after (making overall picture brighter). Anyway camera probably doesn't give the true effect anyway.

I love the HIDs in my ’04 LS430. Not sure drivers coming the other way are as thrilled about them though.

Actually Sir the bumper lenses were replaced with clear aftermarket ones. Along with NOKYA Hyper Yellow bulbs. The aftermarket lenses also have a protrusion, that the stock ones DO NOT have ;) Therefore emitting a TON more light.

Also all settings on the camera were the same.

the pics are legit son ;)