Cleaned My Throttle Body!

jcrome04

So I cleaned my throttle body a few days ago, and didn't notice much of a difference, even though it was HORRIBLY DIRTY! I just attributed the lack in change due to Seafoaming it a few days prior, so.. I wasn't really expecting much of a difference.....BUT WOW I guess the ECU just needed a few days to get used to the TB being perfectly clean because it is SO MUCH SMOOTHER!!!!! Power delivery on the highway, MPGs seem to be doing better, idle, start-up. WOW

and thank God I got a new TBG cause the stock one was about to just flake apart, I had to be VERY "ginger" with it to make sure it didn't shatter apart everywhere. Here are some pics! :D Enjoy the pics!

BEFORE

DSCF0281.jpg

DSCF0283.jpg

DSCF0285.jpg

DSCF0282.jpg

AFTER

DSCF0288.jpg

DSCF0286.jpg

DSCF0291.jpg

I tried my best inside;) hahah

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There ya' go amigo! Nice job! Watch your gas mileage now, you'll be pleasently suprised. The power kick on the highway is where I really noticed the difference when I did mine too. The car really gets moving with very very very little effort now. Glad you got that gasket now huh ;) . Did you use a dremel brush on that bad boy? Mine was sooo crusty I had to use the metal brushes on my dremel tool to chew the stuff off.

You have now effectively taken about 8 years off the car's operational footprint.

I'm tellin' Ya' DC, we've got a winner here with jcrome... Next thing you know, he'll have that LS up in the air swapping out parts here and there like he was swapping out condiments at a family cook-out. :cheers:

There ya' go amigo! Nice job! Watch your gas mileage now, you'll be pleasently suprised. The power kick on the highway is where I really noticed the difference when I did mine too. The car really gets moving with very very very little effort now. Glad you got that gasket now huh ;) . Did you use a dremel brush on that bad boy? Mine was sooo crusty I had to use the metal brushes on my dremel tool to chew the stuff off.

You have now effectively taken about 8 years off the car's operational footprint.

I'm tellin' Ya' DC, we've got a winner here with jcrome... Next thing you know, he'll have that LS up in the air swapping out parts here and there like he was swapping out condiments at a family cook-out.:cheers:

He's moving right along, Like the ants at that cook-out walking away with the watermelon..................................

hahaha yay! lol. ^_^

Hey nc211 speaking of having my car in the air and swapping parts....I'm interested in cleaning that solenoid and flushing out the PS system.

Could you PM me some detailed instructions?? Great pictures in your post before on it, but I was a little confused on the steps.

Plus is it a simple thing? Do I need to worry about breaking anything?

DC and NC, You guys could do a radio program or do some writing team for a sitcom. Been thinking of cleaning out my tb as well, but it's hard to get motivated when everything runs perfect. I'm sure it could use it, I'm just not sure how much difference it'll make. Maybe when the weather gets warmer.

DC and NC, You guys could do a radio program or do some writing team for a sitcom. Been thinking of cleaning out my tb as well, but it's hard to get motivated when everything runs perfect. I'm sure it could use it, I'm just not sure how much difference it'll make. Maybe when the weather gets warmer.

Just tune in to LSGS 98.95 Forever on your ML stereo system :lol::lol::lol:

cant u just send it in to a machine shop and have it dipped in a cleaning tank and be done with it? i dont think i would use any type of brush on it.....just a question, it came out great though

I just cleaned mine yesterday... It was nasty, I couldn;t even see the screwheads on it! I used a brush, well, a couple brushes and I am very happy with the results of it. There is no need to push hard on it python, if that is what you are worried about with scratching and what not. I didn;t take a before pic, so an after-pic is really useless, lol... Now I just have to wait for my transborder package to come in from ParkPlace Lexus....It has my gasket in it..

Pretty awesome eh? I priced out my parts up here, and then priced them with parkplace in texas.... Even with $112 bill for shipping to Canada, it still works out cheaper than buying parts fromt he stealers up here on the prairies...

Pretty awesome eh? I priced out my parts up here, and then priced them with parkplace in texas.... Even with $112 bill for shipping to Canada, it still works out cheaper than buying parts fromt he stealers up here on the prairies...

Stealers is exactly right. Had to replace a flex-pipe at the downpipe on my volvo. $450 (part only) for a piece of ribbed pipe about 1.5 ft long. Had a custom job done at a muffler shop for $125.

• 3 months later...

How do you remove the air intake on a '99 LS400? There is a somewhat rectangular box off the airtube; don't know if that is part of airtube or if it detaches. The Lexls website description for throttle body cleaning does not appear to be the same setup as the generation 1 LS. If anyone has any guidance/photos, it would be appreciated!

• 9 months later...
How do you remove the air intake on a '99 LS400? There is a somewhat rectangular box off the airtube; don't know if that is part of airtube or if it detaches. The Lexls website description for throttle body cleaning does not appear to be the same setup as the generation 1 LS. If anyone has any guidance/photos, it would be appreciated!

I guess this is a little overdue AZ :D :D

But in 98 they changed it over to a "drive-by-wire" electronic throttle. I don't know about disconnecting it, but cleaning it would be the same.

The box you describe sounds like the Helmholtz resonator. It doesn't detach, and comes off easily with the tubing.

OK, Every LS,GS,ES,LX,RX,GX,IS,SC (did I miss one?) Owner...... Go out in the garage and pop the hood and grab your wrench set and cleaning equipment "Get r done" Go ahead and "Make your day" ;) :cheers::cheers::cheers:

OK, Every LS,GS,ES,LX,RX,GX,IS,SC (did I miss one?) Owner...... Go out in the garage and pop the hood and grab your wrench set and cleaning equipment "Get r done" Go ahead and "Make your day" ;) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I agree 101% :lol:

The throttle body??

Its what the plastic intake is attached to.. with the butterfly valve inside.

Intake>>Throttle Body>>Intake Manifold

the last pic is of inside the intake manifold. You can see the two studs and 2 holes where the TB is anchored.