Heater Control Valve

white ls400

At the moment i have bypassed my heater control valve (well least thats what i think it is... its just a on off valve thats sits on the fire wall with one heater hose that enters the side and exits the bottom or vice versa and has a cable that runs through a firewall) what does this valve actually do because the heater still works like normal.. having this bypassed could it cause detrimental damage... also could it cause the car to run slightly hotter due to longer coolant path

I have had problems with my heat ant found out this same valve wasn't opening and closing like it was supposed to. I thought about bypassing it but I tried manually pulling on the cable on the firewall (there's a tab on the end of the cable) and this opened things right up. I still have temp control and everything. I'll keep going this route until I can afford a new valve.

I can't imagine anything going wrong if you bypass this valve. I also think the car would run cooler due to longer coolant path instead of hotter due to longer intervals between actually entering water jackets in engine and the trip through the heater core which extracts more heat from coolant.

I have had problems with my heat ant found out this same valve wasn't opening and closing like it was supposed to. I thought about bypassing it but I tried manually pulling on the cable on the firewall (there's a tab on the end of the cable) and this opened things right up. I still have temp control and everything. I'll keep going this route until I can afford a new valve.

I can't imagine anything going wrong if you bypass this valve. I also think the car would run cooler due to longer coolant path instead of hotter due to longer intervals between actually entering water jackets in engine and the trip through the heater core which extracts more heat from coolant.

Just take the push/pull cable off of the water valve so internally it is still free to move the reheat mixing vane. Just tie the water valve lever off in the fully open position.

But come spring I would shut the flow off in order for the A/C to be fully efficient.