Replacing Factory Subwoofer

NewGuy19

I just purchases a '90 LS400 a few weeks ago. I replaced the factory radio with an aftermarket one and promptly blew my sub out. Now I need to replace the sub. I don't know much about Lexus' and need some help. Can I replace the sub with any sub or do I need to buy one from Lexus? Can I remove the sub through the trunk or do I need to pull the back seats? And finally, will the factory amp still work if I am able to put in a different sub? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

removing the subwoofer is extremely .... simple :-)

you simply need to remove the cover (intergrated with stop light) by prying it up using a butter knife. even better if you use your fingers to lift it up carefully

once the cover is removed, you have full access to to sub speaker, nothing to do in the trunk

i know nothing about speakers so cant suggest anything about a replacement

I just purchases a '90 LS400 a few weeks ago. I replaced the factory radio with an aftermarket one and promptly blew my sub out. Now I need to replace the sub. I don't know much about Lexus' and need some help. Can I replace the sub with any sub or do I need to buy one from Lexus? Can I remove the sub through the trunk or do I need to pull the back seats? And finally, will the factory amp still work if I am able to put in a different sub? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/subwoofer.html

Maybe this can help....

What would be a comparable aftermarket subwoofer to the one mentioned in the tutorial?

Well, as you can see he was using a Kicker comp series sub... pretty cheap, only like $80 I believe. Another sub thats on the same level, could be a MTX Thunder series sub (cheaper, I think...), or a JBL grand touring...

I personally like Kicker the best, of those... the only other subs from another brand ive had were 2 13" JL W7s, and those are like $400s each. Ever think about just getting a 10" sub and stickin it in the truck?

What would be a comparable aftermarket subwoofer to the one mentioned in the tutorial?

Well, as you can see he was using a Kicker comp series sub... pretty cheap, only like $80 I believe. Another sub thats on the same level, could be a MTX Thunder series sub (cheaper, I think...), or a JBL grand touring...

As I mentioned I saw that Kicker sub, however it is no longer available anywhere. I'd get the exact same model but it's nowhere to be found.

I'm trying to find a sub with the right specifications so it won't cause a problem. I can't seem to find any that say they'll work under RMS 40 or whatever it's supposed to be.