Calling All Salty Dogs....

landar

Anyone have any significant rust on sheetmetal parts of their LS?

I would imagine that those living in salty regions (ie: Canada, NE, midwest) would have

the largest incidence of rust, if any. If you do have rust, could you please state where on the car

and the degree(slight, moderate, severe...you can make one up).

Thanks!

I would imagine that those living in salty regions (ie: Canada, NE, midwest) would have

the largest incidence of rust, if any. If you do have rust, could you please state where on the car

Thanks!

Western Canada here, Northern Alberta. I had a small amount of rust above the rear left wheel well. Just grinded it out, filled with fiberglass, smoothed with bondo, and repainted. Good as new. :)

1991 LS 400 =D

No salt on the roads here.. lots of snow thou. :)

Hmmmm, no salt in W. Canada, ehh??? Is there some other nasty compound that is laid upon the roads to cause corrosion

or is this just a "normal" (or isolated) rust spot? BTW, Jify, thanks for the report.

Most places where it snows alot use sand instead of salt for the added traction and reduced cost .

I have no real rust on my 98 but i also rust proof it ever year since i bought it.

skperformance who lowered your car?

Thanks!

Western Canada here, Northern Alberta. I had a small amount of rust above the rear left wheel well. Just grinded it out, filled with fiberglass, smoothed with bondo, and repainted. Good as new. :)

1991 LS 400 =D

I did the same thing on my chicagoan ls400! the rust was in the same place. weird.

Places to look out for rust,

1, underbody

2 rear wheel wells

3 front fenders

Most places where it snows alot use sand instead of salt for the added traction and reduced cost .

I have no real rust on my 98 but i also rust proof it ever year since i bought it.

Interesting. Must be a lot different in Canada. In most northern states, they use a mixture of salt and sand.

I wish it were only sand but the salt is needed to lower the freezing point of the ice and thus

keep the roads clear(so they say).

Sk, I also check my vehicles every spring and fall and spray vulnerable places with oil or grease. Lately, I have

been experimenting with marheid truck bed liner stuff. I would be interested to know what you do to rustproof

your ride. What areas do you consider most vulnerable to rusting and how do you protect those areas?

Thanks,

Lan

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

1991 LS 400 =D

I did the same thing on my chicagoan ls400! the rust was in the same place. weird.

Places to look out for rust,

1, underbody

2 rear wheel wells

3 front fenders

I have a small rust "bubble" under the paint developing in the same place, above the driver side rear too, and nowhere else! Strange.

That undercoating stuff does seem nice, I loaded (and i mean LOADED) up the rear wheel well after I fixed it up and treated the entire area with that chemical rust eating stuff.

I plan on eventually cleaning, treating and coating the insides of the other wheels wells to prevent any further rusting.

Sorry for the late reply btw. We do use a lot of sand up here, there is just too much snow to warrant the cost of salt. The roads are almost never clean in the winter, always a nice layer of sand+snow around. Can't wait to drive my LS around during it's first winter! Weeeee

The southern parts of Sweden are some of the harshest climates for cars. A lot of humidity, massive use of salt in the winter and long periods of temperatures around 0 degrees Celsius (melting point of snow/water). Many brands have additional rust protection coating just for scandinavian countries, and most cars are still ending up in the junk yard B/C rust. :censored:

My LS is from -95 and has some rust on it, too. Rear sub frame for suspension is all rusty, anf you can chop off flakes that are 1/2" diameter and 1/10" thick.

The floor pan/underbody has SOME minor spots, which I will fix this winter, when I have garaged it. However, there is one part of the car that has corroded due to bad design from Lexus. The flanged steel "lips" around the trunk opening are quite rusty on my car, and it seems it is not that uncommon. It is only visible if you remove the plastic "trim" that covers the area where the carpet meets the painted body parts. Remove it, and you will see that painting and rust protection is not perfect. Grinding, priming, new top coating surfaces and spray some sticky stuff on the inside will cure that disease...

/Alexander from Sweden

edit: grammar/spelling

That undercoating stuff does seem nice, I loaded (and i mean LOADED) up the rear wheel well after I fixed it up and treated the entire area with that chemical rust eating stuff.

What "undercoating stuff' do you use to treat the area(s)? Maybe I should try to be a little more proactive in areas that are known to rust first.

Does running the car through the car wash more often in winter really make a difference in keeping the rust down?