Filter In The Powersteering Resrvoir Tank ?!

mangi1

I am planning to clean the filter in the tank above the powersteering pump.

Is it really possible to get the filter out without damaging the tank?

hi,

i didn't take it out, as i couldn't see how it could come out. some have punched holes in it, which seems counterproductive?

i just got the tank out of the car, sprayed brake cleaner in there and 'whisked' w/ a small paint brush, turn upside down, etc... seemed to work. be careful not to punch it.

I am planning to clean the filter in the tank above the powersteering pump.

Is it really possible to get the filter out without damaging the tank?

hi,

i didn't take it out, as i couldn't see how it could come out. some have punched holes in it, which seems counterproductive?

i just got the tank out of the car, sprayed brake cleaner in there and 'whisked' w/ a small paint brush, turn upside down, etc... seemed to work. be careful not to punch it.

Thank you for answering!

I think you are right.

What kind of symptoms did you have ?

it doesn't come out. Mine has holes in it too, has for years. The easiest way to clean it is to use a mildly abrasive paint brush "cut off most of the brushes", don't turn on the car, stuck the brush down in the tank and scrub the screen. Then, use a suction device to pull out the fluid along the bottom, along the screen. Have new fluid handy though, so you don't pull out too much and create an air pocket situation.

If you're having tough steering problems, you need to clean the solenoid screen under the passenger's side, being the wheel that is attached to the rack. Search "solenoid" on here, and you'll find a few thread with pictures and instructions. That tiny screen is crucial to the steering feel of the car. It makes a night and day difference.