2000 Es300 Eclipse Avn-5510 Installation Complete

I finished my Eclipse AVN 5510 installation yesterday in my wifes 2000 ES300 - everything works as advertised, so far it's great.

Looks like it could easily be OEM, the illumination color on the panel buttons match the climate control buttons.

The iPod control interface is really nice too.

Items with part numbers that I used in this install:

- Eclipse AVN 5510

- Eclipse Eclipse iPC-106 (iPod Control Interface for Eclipse iPod Ready Stereos)

- Scosche LS2081B (Double DIN Installation Kit for Select 1997-2003 Lexus ES300)

- Metra 70-8113 (LEXUS ES300 1999-2001 AMP BY-PASS)

Added the following items (from Crutchfield):

- PAC SNI-1 RCA Ground Loop Noise Isolator (x2) - these helped only a little

- American International S15A 15-amp/250-watt Noise Filter - eliminated 90% of the audio buzz

- American International AS100 Noise Filter for Motorola Antenna

- 1 day subscription here for splice locations for Vehicle speed sensor wire, parking brake wire: https://techinfo.toyota.com

Installation was not too difficult.

It's a tight fit as there is a HUGE pile of wires that go behind the system along with the noise filters.

The VSS and parking brake wires were tough for me to get to, may be easier with the drivers seat removed.

Here are a few more images:

Main menu:

post-36644-1183393578_thumb.jpg

System off:

post-36644-1183393627_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Nice. Did you retain the glove box CD changer? I don't see the CD slot on the head unit.

Yes, glove box changer still installed but not working with the AVN-5510. Eclipse support indicated that the stock changer is not compatible with the AVN.

How did you remove the radio? I am looking for just that right now!

• 7 months later...

Bump this back up from the dead. Hey Platinum ES00 WHere did you get the surround that goes around the radio that fills in the empty space. I recently acquired a 1997 ES300 but the OEM radio is dead and I want to install a pioneer double din navi in there (for the wife) But there's that awful looking space(gap) all around the pioneer unit when installed!!!!!!

• 3 months later...
Bump this back up from the dead.

and this thread too:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry286284

Yes, the green wire from the LCD clock will work for the ILL+ input for the Eclipse AVN 5510. The map color inverts (black background/white roads) and the display dims when the headlights are turned on. Now it looks and acts exactly like the OEM system I've used in the in-laws '04 ES330.

And as suggested, if the parking brake wire is ran to GND, full iPod and navigation options are available while driving (haven't tried a DVD while driving yet). This comes in handy for the front seat passenger to help out with operating the 5510 while on long trips.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested...

• 1 month later...

and this thread too:

Yes, the green wire from the LCD clock will work for the ILL+ input for the Eclipse AVN 5510. The map color inverts (black background/white roads) and the display dims when the headlights are turned on. Now it looks and acts exactly like the OEM system I've used in the in-laws '04 ES330.

And as suggested, if the parking brake wire is ran to GND, full iPod and navigation options are available while driving (haven't tried a DVD while driving yet). This comes in handy for the front seat passenger to help out with operating the 5510 while on long trips.

Hey PlatinumES00, great installation and great pics! I too own a 2000 Platinum ES 300. Feel so encouraged to work it a bit more after reading all of your posts. I do have a lot of questions as a newbie, and wonder if you could answer for me:

1) What are the steps to remove the original audio center? what are the tools needed?

2) Did you bypass the amp in avn5510, and hookup front, read lineouts to the car amp with Metra 70-8113? Why 70-8113 has only 4 RAC plugs, what about center and subwoofer connection?

3) What happens to the 2 small speakers on the door, do they get any input? Should I just leave those wires that connect directly to speakers alone, not connecting to anything?

4) Could you please post some more pics on wiring, eg. the green wire from LCD hooking up the ILL+ input...

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your sharing of a nice work on the ES.

• 2 weeks later...

and this thread too:

Hey PlatinumES00, great installation and great pics! I too own a 2000 Platinum ES 300. Feel so encouraged to work it a bit more after reading all of your posts. I do have a lot of questions as a newbie, and wonder if you could answer for me:

1) What are the steps to remove the original audio center? what are the tools needed?

2) Did you bypass the amp in avn5510, and hookup front, read lineouts to the car amp with Metra 70-8113? Why 70-8113 has only 4 RAC plugs, what about center and subwoofer connection?

3) What happens to the 2 small speakers on the door, do they get any input? Should I just leave those wires that connect directly to speakers alone, not connecting to anything?

4) Could you please post some more pics on wiring, eg. the green wire from LCD hooking up the ILL+ input...

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your sharing of a nice work on the ES.

I'll try to remember as best I can

4 bolts hold in the radio

you'll need a metric socket set and some good pry tools - I use a set from www.bojoinc.com

1)steps to remove stock radio:

remove trim around shift lever, it prys up and out

remove ashtray

remove trim above ashtray

you should see there are two bolts to remove

next -

pry out center upper vents with clock

you should see the top two bolts

unplug climate control plugs, clock etc.

radio should just pull out at this point

2) yes, used line outs from adapter, I don't remember specifics about the adapter, but it works with the factory amp/sub

3) not sure, I didn't have to do any speaker wiring, I suspect some internal factory crossover takes care of them.

4) there is only one green wire connected to the LCD clock, I used the scotchlok wire taps included with the Eclipse. You'll see the clock wires when you pull the center vent.

Hope this helps - it really wasn't that tough of an install. The VSS wire was the hardest part, and the initial electrical noise I had before adding the noise reduction items.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I just ordered a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT last night for my wife's 2000 ES300. Do you still recommend all the same noise filters as you used? I'm in the middle of picking out all the extraneous pieces right now like the dash kit and amp bypass and need to make selections on those. Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I just ordered a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT last night for my wife's 2000 ES300. Do you still recommend all the same noise filters as you used? I'm in the middle of picking out all the extraneous pieces right now like the dash kit and amp bypass and need to make selections on those. Thanks!

I would still recommend these:

- PAC SNI-1 RCA Ground Loop Noise Isolator (x2) - these helped only a little

- American International S15A 15-amp/250-watt Noise Filter - eliminated 90% of the audio buzz

but skip this one:

- American International AS100 Noise Filter for Motorola Antenna

Hope your install goes well!

Thanks for that. I'm going to try to install it either Friday or Saturday night. The car's a few hours away right now (she's out of the country until Saturday night) so I'm going to have to pack any tools with me to install it. Aside from the typical electrical tools and a set of screwdrivers, do you remember what else you needed? I'm going to pack up a set of metric sockets. Any torx bits, etc that I should know about?

Thanks for that. I'm going to try to install it either Friday or Saturday night. The car's a few hours away right now (she's out of the country until Saturday night) so I'm going to have to pack any tools with me to install it. Aside from the typical electrical tools and a set of screwdrivers, do you remember what else you needed? I'm going to pack up a set of metric sockets. Any torx bits, etc that I should know about?

Installed the radio Saturday morning. Once I found the attached instructions for getting the dash opened up I was all set. The radio went in easily, the only issue was dealing with the background noise. The RCA connection to the factory amp was providing a solid enough ground for the radio to actually stay powered on when the primary ground was disconnected :o . The RCA ground loop isolators had their input/output connections inverted to the way the Pioneer was set up, but they seem to work just fine when installed opposite to their I/O markings. Once those were in, background noise was gone and the unit works great. Mounted the antenna to the front drivers side of the dash just under the glass, the mic to the steering column, and the iPod/USB connectors ran through the trans tunnel into the base of the center console.

The Avic-F90BT seems to be a good fit for the ES300. Great audio quality, GPS works fine, love the integration with the cell phone, and the ability to play MP3's from a DVD, SD card, USB, or iPod was huge for me. There is room for improvement on the interface, but I suspect that could be said about any of the units on the market. Now that the price has started dropping (I was out the door for less than $515 shipped) it's a good value for what it gives you.

Car_Tech_Docs.zip

• 1 year later...

3) not sure, I didn't have to do any speaker wiring, I suspect some internal factory crossover takes care of them.

Sorry to bump this up, but were you able to maintain the use of those two small speakers? I've got an aftermarket headunit in where I wired up the front and rear RCA's but It's difficult to tell if mine are playing.