Cigarette Lighter Removal Help

chrisls400

i have read through the forum looking for specific instructions on how to remove the cigarette lighter from my 95 ls400 but i can't seem to find them. if anyone could help direct me or knows any links on showing how to do this, please let me know. i know that is what keeps blowing the fuse to the a/c and clock but i'm not sure exactly how to get to it to fix it. it appears there is a gold colored sleeve down under the lighter that is loose and causing the short. i took the woodgrain around the shifter off last night but still could not get to the lighter. i would greatly appreciate any suggestions. sweating in tennessee....

i have read through the forum looking for specific instructions on how to remove the cigarette lighter from my 95 ls400 but i can't seem to find them. if anyone could help direct me or knows any links on showing how to do this, please let me know. i know that is what keeps blowing the fuse to the a/c and clock but i'm not sure exactly how to get to it to fix it. it appears there is a gold colored sleeve down under the lighter that is loose and causing the short. i took the woodgrain around the shifter off last night but still could not get to the lighter. i would greatly appreciate any suggestions. sweating in tennessee....
I had to do the same thing to my lighter a few summers ago. Once you have the wood grain out, you need to remove the screws that hold the ashtray to the larger trim piece--there are probably 4 of them. Then, I believe there are two screws (one left, one right) that hold the ashtray and it's frame (for the lack of a better term) together. After that, you just pry the ashtray out, and cover your eyes because the two springs that make the ashtray open could come flying out--I still haven't been able to get those back in. It really makes no difference to me though because opening the ashtray manually is well worth not sweating and not having to stand on my head to replace that fuse. Once you remove the ashtray from its frame, you will see the back half of the cigarette lighter that needs to be tightened. Read this while you have ashtray in your hands, and it should make a little more sense (if not, let me know), I hope!! LOL

I had to do the same thing to my lighter a few summers ago. Once you have the wood grain out, you need to remove the screws that hold the ashtray to the larger trim piece--there are probably 4 of them. Then, I believe there are two screws (one left, one right) that hold the ashtray and it's frame (for the lack of a better term) together. After that, you just pry the ashtray out, and cover your eyes because the two springs that make the ashtray open could come flying out--I still haven't been able to get those back in. It really makes no difference to me though because opening the ashtray manually is well worth not sweating and not having to stand on my head to replace that fuse. Once you remove the ashtray from its frame, you will see the back half of the cigarette lighter that needs to be tightened. Read this while you have ashtray in your hands, and it should make a little more sense (if not, let me know), I hope!! LOL

blake-thanks so much for the help. it made perfect sense with ashtray in hand. and yes, those springs are a bear, but i think i got them back in (well at least one of them). it appears to be opening as it did, but i was too tired last night to affix the ashtray back to the woodgrain around the shifter. i'll do that tonight. that just saved me $75 from having the dealer do it. and the best news is that my air is again working. i really appreciate the help!

i have read through the forum looking for specific instructions on how to remove the cigarette lighter from my 95 ls400 but i can't seem to find them.

...not to be a smartass but...in every car i have ever had...and i have had alot, all you have to do is push the lighter in, and when it pops, its ready for use...in one car, it even shot clear into my hand!

:P :) :D :D

Im JK, glad you squared him away blake., how you doin anyway?

Yeah, that was pretty smart@$#. :chairshot:

i have read through the forum looking for specific instructions on how to remove the cigarette lighter from my 95 ls400 but i can't seem to find them.

...not to be a smartass but...in every car i have ever had...and i have had alot, all you have to do is push the lighter in, and when it pops, its ready for use...in one car, it even shot clear into my hand!

haha! that did read like that, didn't it. i wish it had been that easy.