Accident! New Gen Gs 430

So here's how it happened. I was sitting shot gun, not driving... The driver decided to punch it going downhill on a moist evening. The car started to drift. So they counter steered but when the traction kicked in, they didn't correct the steering wheel...so the right front rim slammed into the curb, and popped off and started rolling down the hill. Then the car swerved over to the other side of the road, and same thing happened on that side. Wheel broke off. There was no inpact with anyone else, any cars, any signs, nothing. It was strictly wheel on curb contact that caused all this damage. The fenders are messed up from the broken rim flopping around inside the well. The insurance adjuster said its going to cost a ridiculous 14 thousand dollars. Thank God that #1 everyone is alive and unhurt and #2 i wasn't driving so im not gonna end up paying for it =) .

prg.jpg

the street

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

the car

DSC00252.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

Looks to me like $14K is a great price to fix all that damage! And to put down all that rubber must have taken some speed and dry pavement!

Excellent photos by the way - very well taken.

holy moses. that is some serious damage. that looks almost totalled to me. look on the bright side. This means new rotors that arent rusted. I wouldnt let that person drive my car ever again.

^^i agree great pictures. question, why are the wipers up? lol

well here's what ive put together. the battery was dead when i went to visit my car at the impound lot. it rained the night before, so im guessing the idiot tow truck driver left the car not completely off. he only turned the lights from auto to off. the car's auto wipers just sat there in the rain wiping until the battery probably gave out. ive never seen such stupidity. when he put my rims into the back of the car, he ripped my seats. so insuracne is paying to have that fixed too.

With friends like that who needs enemies? Just kidding. I'm not shocked that the insurance said thats $14K worth of damage. I had an 01 GS300 and my sister rear-ended a grand cherokee and it didn't look that bad, and the insurance company said they stopped counting after it exceeded $12K. Good job on the pics.

post-38454-1177877897_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

all suspension work on the car is done. they're gonna start working on the body and paint monday morning. i decided to go with asanti af 119's 20x8.5 in the front 20x10 in the back.

they will look like this

AF119.jpg

ordered them a week ago. the wheels will take 3 weeks to arrive. its a slow process but im trying to be patient. the wheels cost 4400 w/tires. insurance gave me only 2800 for rims so 1600 is vomitting from my pocket but im still thankful that none of us got hurt and it really could have been a lot worse. i just learned a very valuable lesson which is do not let anyone drive your car. period. "unfortunately" my girlfriend falls into the category of "anyone" so now i have a real excuse to say no when she asks :P

raymsixsix: did she end up fixing the car or getting rid of it? im curious. thanks for the comments, i'll put up pics when its all done.

holy moses. that is some serious damage. that looks almost totalled to me. look on the bright side. This means new rotors that arent rusted. I wouldnt let that person drive my car ever again.

^^i agree great pictures. question, why are the wipers up? lol

The rust you're seeing on the rotors is normal. The hub of the rotors is destroyed so they need to be replaced, but that serface rust is normal when the rotors sit unused. Wash you car sometime and then look at the rotors, they'll be rusted on the surface.

So here's how it happened. I was sitting shot gun, not driving... The driver decided to punch it going downhill on a moist evening. The car started to drift. So they counter steered but when the traction kicked in, they didn't correct the steering wheel...so the right front rim slammed into the curb, and popped off and started rolling down the hill. Then the car swerved over to the other side of the road, and same thing happened on that side. Wheel broke off. There was no inpact with anyone else, any cars, any signs, nothing. It was strictly wheel on curb contact that caused all this damage. The fenders are messed up from the broken rim flopping around inside the well. The insurance adjuster said its going to cost a ridiculous 14 thousand dollars. Thank God that #1 everyone is alive and unhurt and #2 i wasn't driving so im not gonna end up paying for it =) .

prg.jpg

the street

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

the car

DSC00252.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

:cries: :cries: :cries: It hurts to look at the pic's, I hope everything turns out well for you. Hard lesson learned :censored:

all suspension work on the car is done. they're gonna start working on the body and paint monday morning. i decided to go with asanti af 119's 20x8.5 in the front 20x10 in the back.

they will look like this

AF119.jpg

ordered them a week ago. the wheels will take 3 weeks to arrive. its a slow process but im trying to be patient. the wheels cost 4400 w/tires. insurance gave me only 2800 for rims so 1600 is vomitting from my pocket but im still thankful that none of us got hurt and it really could have been a lot worse. i just learned a very valuable lesson which is do not let anyone drive your car. period. "unfortunately" my girlfriend falls into the category of "anyone" so now i have a real excuse to say no when she asks :P

raymsixsix: did she end up fixing the car or getting rid of it? im curious. thanks for the comments, i'll put up pics when its all done.

I agree with ya on that one bud. My insurance company totalled my GS, I was sad to see her go, but from a financial standpoint I didn't do bad. I bought it in March 04 with 41K Miles for $24,600 put 49K Miles on it and it was totalled Jan 07 with 90K Miles, and the insurance co. gave me $18,000, you all do the math :-D I'd say a Lexus depreciates very well :-) After the lien holder was paid off I had over $8,000 to get a new ride. I bought a '95 LS400 which I'm really happy with. I'll post pics soon. Have a good one, fellas

• 1 month later...

Very sad that that happened buddy. I NEVER...EVER...let people drive my car because some people are just stupid and cannot drive. What happened to the kid driving it since he wasn't part of your insurance?