Question About Replacing The Cd Changer

Hi, I found a replacement 12 disc changer for mine and it appears to be an easy swap. My question is, is it necessary to disconnect the battery cable like they suggest when replacing the head units before plugging it in? Thank you for your responses.

Hi, I found a replacement 12 disc changer for mine and it appears to be an easy swap. My question is, is it necessary to disconnect the battery cable like they suggest when replacing the head units before plugging it in? Thank you for your responses.

Yes, That is the best policy. You should have replaced your 12 disc with a 96 es300 6 disc, It is plug and play and will outlast the 12 disc fujitsu player :chairshot: which is the worst cd changer lexus ever used :censored: . Good Luck

Thank you. I bought the replacement before I discovered this forum. I will get the ES changer when this one inevitably fails.

I hope it lasts a while for you................

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, That is the best policy. You should have replaced your 12 disc with a 96 es300 6 disc, It is plug and play and will outlast the 12 disc fujitsu player :chairshot: which is the worst cd changer lexus ever used :censored: . Good Luck

Ok, got my new ES300 one installed... I took the top metal piece off of it, left the bottom one on, but used the old SC400 brackets, bent around a little different, using way less screws and it's mounted. It's not as solidly mounted as the original, but I think it will do. I will take some pics Sunday or so I think.

Ok guys. Hope this will help a lot of people! Here are the pics of my mounting job of an ES300 6-disc, in place of the original 12-disc. Notice, I removed the top metal cover from the 6-disc. If you are doing it the way I did, you will need longer screws to replace the little gold colored ones that hold the stock ES brackets on, because you will be going through two layers of sheet metal, not just one. The screws I bought are 4mm standard thread 10mm length. Note that I am only using two mounting points, instead of the original four bolts/nuts that held the SC changer in. It seems sturdy enough, went on a little road trip with no problems yesterday. I have had it skip on really bumpy roads twice now I think. I had to bend the bottom tab of the rear bracket. The front bracket only required minimal bending. Only tools I used were wrenches, screwdrivers, and channel-lock pliers to bend the metal. Please reply with questions!

BTW eddie, I think it's 92-96 ES changers that work...

post-41663-1178470578_thumb.jpg

post-41663-1178470591_thumb.jpg

post-41663-1178470603_thumb.jpg

Oh, one more thing. I was REALLY stretching the wiring to mount it that far forward. While pulling on the wires trying to get extra length, something snapped and I thought it was something breaking, or disconnecting that wasn't supposed to. But, theres a clip that holds the wires down under there somewhere, and it came unclipped from the body of the car, and gave me tons of extra length. WHEW. If you use this method, you may want to consider pulling it off like I did, because I was afraid I was pulling the wires too hard at the connectors.

Oh, one more thing. I was REALLY stretching the wiring to mount it that far forward. While pulling on the wires trying to get extra length, something snapped and I thought it was something breaking, or disconnecting that wasn't supposed to. But, theres a clip that holds the wires down under there somewhere, and it came unclipped from the body of the car, and gave me tons of extra length. WHEW. If you use this method, you may want to consider pulling it off like I did, because I was afraid I was pulling the wires too hard at the connectors.

Yes, 92-96 es changers work, But the best changer is the 96 model because of upgrades and minor changes. If you need one let me know.