50w H11(fog Lights) Hid Easy Conversion Kit W/pics

Completed Install for an HID Conversion Kit for the factory H11 fog/driving lights. I must say, these type of kits have come a long way. If you can replace a bulb, then you can install this kit. It really is plug and play beyond anything else in lighting. The factory socket for the factory halogen H11 bulb plugs into the ballast, this is where the ballasts get there power. Since the factory bulbs are rated at 55W draw, the ballasts are completely within spec (I opted for 50Watt ballasts and 50W HID Bulbs) of the Lexus factory wiring harness despite the fact the HID bulbs draw 50W vs the conventional HID bulbs (like the factory Xenon) which draw 35W. The ballasts have there own output wiring to supply power the H11 Xenon 50W bulbs.

Here is pretty much the kit... Ballasts, bracket (not all parts are showing), 4300K bulbs.

hidkitwb6.jpg

Here is the drivers side Fog Light (I've blocked the HID Headlamp with a very thick drop cloth) with the factory 55W Halogen.

beforegn4.jpg

Here is the same drivers side Fog Light with the HID 50W 4300K.

aftermz4.jpg

Here is a better side by side comparison, can you tell which is the HID kit?

comparisonbp8.jpg

Exactly what I was looking for, perfect color match, extremely easy install, and much, much better performance.

frontshotsc0.jpg

The most difficult part was removing the front tires and unbolting the front and lower part of the wheel well skirt so as to have access to the rear of the fog lamp assembly. This is where I bolted the ballasts (complete with there brackets) up behind the fog lamp assembly there is metal structure complete with predrilled holes. I made sure to tuck everything up and out of the way as well as install all the plugs so as to allow the water or condensation to dripp down and away from the moisture sealed plug and play enclosures.

Cheers,

MadloR

I picked up this kit along with a good friend of mine who had imported accessories, both for automotive and home.

The 50Watt Xenon conversion kit comes complete with Xenon Bulbs (3 temperature ranges / colors), ballasts, support bracket for ballasts, all cables and connectors are preconfigured (dummy proof, they are i.e. male - female, variable sizes etc) and water proof, screws, tie wraps, and auxiliary power supply cable with relay and fuses (not needed for install) to supply power to the ballasts (I guess the kit is somewhat universal, i.e. like retrofitting for applications where there is not the necessary load rated factory lighting cable for the lights).

Price for this kit is approx $250US plus I would suppose shipping. I will try to get more information as to whether those interested can order directly from whoever will be the assigned "distributor".

I had my first chance to test the lights last night and I must say I am duly impressed. What I look for in a Xenon kit, or Xenon lights in general is reflector focus and accuracy. The RX 400H fog lights are 100% HID compatible with respect to harnessing the 5x greater Xenon Luminance and outputting in a very controlled and extremely precise manner. There is absolutely no spurious light, the beam output is razor sharp and you see the cutoff (just like the factory Xenon headlamps). The road is lit up in exactly the same manner as was intended by the Lexus Engineers, only much more so (there is no doubt when turning on the fog lights that there ON now). In fact, the fog lights are about 2x as bright as the factory Xenon projectors (you notice this on the road, or against an object like a wall), 50W vs 35W. Oh, and colour is spot on, a point I really like.

Now, all that is left is to upgrade the 9005 factory halogen bulbs to something more in tune with the 4300K colour/temperature range. I will be using halogen for this application for the obvious reasons.

Cheers,

MadloR

I picked up this kit along with a good friend of mine who had imported accessories, both for automotive and home.

The 50Watt Xenon conversion kit comes complete with Xenon Bulbs (3 temperature ranges / colors), ballasts, support bracket for ballasts, all cables and connectors are preconfigured (dummy proof, they are i.e. male - female, variable sizes etc) and water proof, screws, tie wraps, and auxiliary power supply cable with relay and fuses (not needed for install) to supply power to the ballasts (I guess the kit is somewhat universal, i.e. like retrofitting for applications where there is not the necessary load rated factory lighting cable for the lights).

Price for this kit is approx $250US plus I would suppose shipping. I will try to get more information as to whether those interested can order directly from whoever will be the assigned "distributor".

I had my first chance to test the lights last night and I must say I am duly impressed. What I look for in a Xenon kit, or Xenon lights in general is reflector focus and accuracy. The RX 400H fog lights are 100% HID compatible with respect to harnessing the 5x greater Xenon Luminance and outputting in a very controlled and extremely precise manner. There is absolutely no spurious light, the beam output is razor sharp and you see the cutoff (just like the factory Xenon headlamps). The road is lit up in exactly the same manner as was intended by the Lexus Engineers, only much more so (there is no doubt when turning on the fog lights that there ON now). In fact, the fog lights are about 2x as bright as the factory Xenon projectors (you notice this on the road, or against an object like a wall), 50W vs 35W. Oh, and colour is spot on, a point I really like.

Now, all that is left is to upgrade the 9005 factory halogen bulbs to something more in tune with the 4300K colour/temperature range. I will be using halogen for this application for the obvious reasons.

Cheers,

MadloR

Not to be too much of a wet blanket but those brighter fog lights will result in your having less distance vision at night on low beams. Fog lights are aimed low and wide, below the low beams and so their "close in", CLOSER-IN, brightness will cause your eyes to close up more than with just the low beams.

The effect is a lot like having the dash in front of you lit up from the courtesy/map light.

Impressive, potentially blinding, actually, to oncoming traffic but raises the possibility of your being 6 feet under sooner than otherwise.

A more creative use of your time, and a lot less money, would have been to revise the fog light circuit such that they can be used alone without the low beams to interfere when you actually encounter foggy conditions.

Cheers,

MadloR

Not to be too much of a wet blanket but those brighter fog lights will result in your having less distance vision at night on low beams. Fog lights are aimed low and wide, below the low beams and so their "close in", CLOSER-IN, brightness will cause your eyes to close up more than with just the low beams.

The effect is a lot like having the dash in front of you lit up from the courtesy/map light.

Impressive, potentially blinding, actually, to oncoming traffic but raises the possibility of your being 6 feet under sooner than otherwise.

A more creative use of your time, and a lot less money, would have been to revise the fog light circuit such that they can be used alone without the low beams to interfere when you actually encounter foggy conditions.

Hmm, you sure make alot of @SSumptions without having experienced it, and my only concern is your lack of knowledge on the matter as you are trying to relay information that is completely inaccurate. Unfortunately some may read your "opinion" and base what you are saying as fact.

The focal point has not changed, thanks to the quality and type of fog light projector. Therefore the fog lights do not interfer with the main headlamps... why would they? LMAO. Fog Lights are designed for the intended purpose to focus light wide and low, and not reflect back the "moisture" particles (i.e. snow, fog, rain) back into the drivers eyes. HENCE, the fog lights do just that, only much, MUCH Better in that they light up the part of the road due to inclement weather BETTER.

No oncoming drivers are blinded because the fog light projectors are designed like the same pencil width aspect of the driving lights. Hence, there is no spurious light, much the way when a fellow enthusiats tries to take a conversion kit for a Halogen setup headlamp and stuff HID intensity bulbs and candescent power. Then yes, in this case one would blind oncoming traffic because the headlamp cannot focus the massive quantity of improperly focused HID light. Wrong again, buddy. Not to throw a wet towel again on another wrong assumption.

The effect has nothing to do with driving with the console / dash lights at full intensity. Saying that is liking to saying that one should drive with all there lights off since one's intensity to light increases due to a lack of exposure to light. I would imagine one should drive using the "Force", eh LukeSkywalker?

Modifying the driving lights to remain off while the fog lights on would be a benefit is some cases, yes, in inclement weather (fog, snow). But would be totally useless when needing additional light such as when driving in pitch black, and in remote rural areas. In that case you would definitely take advantage of much better driving conditions and hence you would see more of the road.

Your analogy is really shortsighted, pardon the pun. Too bad you cannot see for yourself how wonderfully successful this mod happens to work out for the RX 400H. By the way, this is not my 1st, 2nd, nor 3rd attempt at improving or implementing «HID» conversions.

Cheers,

MadloR

Cheers,

MadloR

Hmm, you sure make alot of @SSumptions without having experienced it, and my only concern is your lack of knowledge on the matter as you are trying to relay information that is completely inaccurate. Unfortunately some may read your "opinion" and base what you are saying as fact.

The focal point has not changed, thanks to the quality and type of fog light projector. Therefore the fog lights do not interfer with the main headlamps... why would they? LMAO. Fog Lights are designed for the intended purpose to focus light wide and low, and not reflect back the "moisture" particles (i.e. snow, fog, rain) back into the drivers eyes. HENCE, the fog lights do just that, only much, MUCH Better in that they light up the part of the road due to inclement weather BETTER.

No oncoming drivers are blinded because the fog light projectors are designed like the same pencil width aspect of the driving lights. Hence, there is no spurious light, much the way when a fellow enthusiats tries to take a conversion kit for a Halogen setup headlamp and stuff HID intensity bulbs and candescent power. Then yes, in this case one would blind oncoming traffic because the headlamp cannot focus the massive quantity of improperly focused HID light. Wrong again, buddy. Not to throw a wet towel again on another wrong assumption.

The effect has nothing to do with driving with the console / dash lights at full intensity. Saying that is liking to saying that one should drive with all there lights off since one's intensity to light increases due to a lack of exposure to light. I would imagine one should drive using the "Force", eh LukeSkywalker?

Modifying the driving lights to remain off while the fog lights on would be a benefit is some cases, yes, in inclement weather (fog, snow). But would be totally useless when needing additional light such as when driving in pitch black, and in remote rural areas. In that case you would definitely take advantage of much better driving conditions and hence you would see more of the road.

Your analogy is really shortsighted, pardon the pun. Too bad you cannot see for yourself how wonderfully successful this mod happens to work out for the RX 400H. By the way, this is not my 1st, 2nd, nor 3rd attempt at improving or implementing «HID» conversions.

Cheers,

MadloR

First, would you agree or disagree that the brighter your field of view is the more the iris in your eyes closes up?

If you disagree, fine.

But if you agree you are acknowledging the correctness of my statement/position. The brighter the foreground is the poorer your distance vision will be at night.

Would you agree that if you were in the middle of a ballpark, in the middle of the night in pitch blackness that you could find your way out from the middle of the playing field and into the parking lot to you car much faster using a 10,000 candescent flashlight vs using a single LED penlight?

Would you agree? So you are saying I am correct, right?

Or, are you saying that is incorrect because you would point the flashlight directly into your eyes while trying to walk out of the ball park hence "closing your iris" and completely blinding your field of vision?

I suppose I would use the flashlight as it was intended, and, like the rest of humanity, and cast the light in the direction of my field of vision. But then again, that would only apply for those who are not complete morons and retards. Now, I'm not saying your a moron, or just a !Removed!, but I am saying... oh never mind hehe, you still wouldn't get it. Get it?

I also suppose you could continue to make incorrect assumptions and base your utter pointlessness and complete nonsense in the hopes of trying to "lawyer talk" and "arm twist" into a "confession" of sorts in your jibberish and complete lack of automotive knowledge. But the fact remains you have no idea what your talking about, sorry to have been the one to enlighten you to the truth.

MadloR

This has rapidly degraded into something closely resembling a USENET rant.

MODERATORS - shut this (previously useful, now useless) noise down, close the thread.

regards,

patrick

Done..

Although I'm not a moderator.

• 3 weeks later...
Completed Install for an HID Conversion Kit for the factory H11 fog/driving lights. I must say, these type of kits have come a long way. If you can replace a bulb, then you can install this kit. It really is plug and play beyond anything else in lighting. The factory socket for the factory halogen H11 bulb plugs into the ballast, this is where the ballasts get there power. Since the factory bulbs are rated at 55W draw, the ballasts are completely within spec (I opted for 50Watt ballasts and 50W HID Bulbs) of the Lexus factory wiring harness despite the fact the HID bulbs draw 50W vs the conventional HID bulbs (like the factory Xenon) which draw 35W. The ballasts have there own output wiring to supply power the H11 Xenon 50W bulbs.

Here is pretty much the kit... Ballasts, bracket (not all parts are showing), 4300K bulbs.

hidkitwb6.jpg

Here is the drivers side Fog Light (I've blocked the HID Headlamp with a very thick drop cloth) with the factory 55W Halogen.

beforegn4.jpg

aftermz4.jpg

comparisonbp8.jpg

Exactly what I was looking for, perfect color match, extremely easy install, and much, much better performance.

frontshotsc0.jpg

The most difficult part was removing the front tires and unbolting the front and lower part of the wheel well skirt so as to have access to the rear of the fog lamp assembly. This is where I bolted the ballasts (complete with there brackets) up behind the fog lamp assembly there is metal structure complete with predrilled holes. I made sure to tuck everything up and out of the way as well as install all the plugs so as to allow the water or condensation to dripp down and away from the moisture sealed plug and play enclosures.

Cheers,

MadloR

hidkitwb6.jpg

beforegn4.jpg

aftermz4.jpg

comparisonbp8.jpg

frontshotsc0.jpg

Cheers,

MadloR

Is there any further information on possibly being able to order this kit? Am not interested in the dialogue on fog lamps as we use the lamps more as driving lamps anyway. Thanks.

Ken H

At first I was really pumped by the initial response for the HID retrokit. Personally, I think it's how Lexus SHOULD of equipped the fog/driving lights in the first place. After the fact (I'm not going into the history of the thread and the sidetracking) I didn't bother pursuing the options for those interested given the turn of events. But, if there is still initial interest I can get back to those with an avenue or option. Otherwise, if there is only Ken or one other person, you can email me at lormad36@hotmail.com and I can forward your requests to the distributor.

Cheers,

MadloR

hidkitwb6.jpg

beforegn4.jpg

aftermz4.jpg

comparisonbp8.jpg

frontshotsc0.jpg

Cheers,

MadloR

Is there any further information on possibly being able to order this kit? Am not interested in the dialogue on fog lamps as we use the lamps more as driving lamps anyway. Thanks.

Ken H

Ken, I think even Jim would agree(***) that unless your forward speed is quite slow, not more than 20 MPH, the OEM fog lamp fixture cannot, can NEVER, be used as driving lights. The design of the OEM fog lamp fixture/reflector is such that the beam pattern is not only LOW and WIDE but has a sharp upward cutoff to actually help prevent water (fog) droplet reflection into the driver's eyes. If you have ever driven in actually foggy conditions, say a ground fog, you will know why this is the case.

Living here in the stunningly beautiful Pacific northwest I find myself fairly often driving in those circumstances so I always modify my asian origin cars so the fog lamps can be used without even low beams. Most cars of european origin come that way, I don't really know about American cars as I have not bought one of those for many years now.

So beyond ~20 MPH you would be over-driving anything your fog lights illuminate with their LOW beam pattern long before you can react.

***Quote from Jim: " Fog lights are designed for the intended purpose to forcus light wide and low...."