Can't Fill Up Gas Tank? 99 Rx

bored7one4

I just got my car back from the body shop about three days ago. I don’t really know if they replace the gas tank or anything, but now when I fill up my tank the pump don’t fill up by itself anymore. I stop fueling like the tank is full but it not. It wasn’t even at $10 bucks yet and I have to keep on pressing and clicking the nozzle until it get full which really took at long time. Does anyone know how to fix this or should I take it back to the repair shop.

it an lexus rx 1999

thanks

If you've only tried it at one station its a bit too early to tell. Once you've used a few gallons try it at another station and if it still happens I'd say the filler neck of the tank may have gotten bent or crimped and is impeding the flow into the tank. Problem is, I've had the same thing happnen becuase in CA. we have very odd "vapor recovery" apparatus on our gas pump nozzles. These things suck the vapors up as the gas goes into the tank. Occasionally the return hose gets clogged up with liquid gas and automitically shuts off the flow each time you squeeze the nozzle. I have this happen every once in a blue moon but its not unheard of and it was usually the last person to use the pump (before you) overfilling their tank that causes it.

• 1 year later...
If you've only tried it at one station its a bit too early to tell. Once you've used a few gallons try it at another station and if it still happens I'd say the filler neck of the tank may have gotten bent or crimped and is impeding the flow into the tank. Problem is, I've had the same thing happnen becuase in CA. we have very odd "vapor recovery" apparatus on our gas pump nozzles. These things suck the vapors up as the gas goes into the tank. Occasionally the return hose gets clogged up with liquid gas and automitically shuts off the flow each time you squeeze the nozzle. I have this happen every once in a blue moon but its not unheard of and it was usually the last person to use the pump (before you) overfilling their tank that causes it.

I have the exact same problem and it has happened 4 times now at 4 different stations. I noted that I added a container of Redline engine cleaner right before it happened the first time. However I have been using Redline since I bought the car in 99! I also live in California. Please help it is driving me crazy.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply tmastres. I have been out of town on business travle and just getting back. The problem still persists and I think you may be right. I also have heard that thers is some kind of filter inline and that may be clogged as well. thanks for your input I appreciate it. I am going to the dealer and rant a rave a bit to see if I can get a break on the repair! I know it won't work but it will help to blow off a little steam!

Another possibility may be that the car's filler tube has an air leak. The body shop may have loosened something, not tightened up a clamp, or something similar. In California, the gas pump will shut off if a vacuum is not present when the gas is being pumped.

A work-around is to pull back, or compress by hand, the accordion-like rubber sealing device that is on the gas pump nozzle. That disables the vacuuming device. For example, that is the only way to successfully fill up gas cans.

So your experiment should go like this. Put the gas pump nozzle in the filler tube as usual and run it until it shuts off. Then pull back on the rubber sealing device and continue to pump gas. It should fill completely up. Be careful however, the tank may overfill and gas might be spilled. There is a back pressure valve that usually prevents this from happening but a bit may be spilled anyway.