Help! My Brakes Vibrate!

cjbdvm04

A few months ago I decided to investigate the vibration that I was experiencing in the front end of my 2002 IS300. While travelling at highway speeds there was a very subtle, yet annoying, vibration of the steering wheel. When the brakes were applied the problem seemed to get much worse. So I was thinking about problems related to: my tires, my wheels, my brake system, my steering system. To systematically work through this problem, I first took off my winter tires/wheels and replaced them with my summer tires/wheels (this set was balanced by the dealer). No resolution of the problem. Next I decided to replace all 4 of my rotors and install new pads. I chose drilled slotted Brembo rotors with Axxis pads. The problem resolved somewhat. The vibration was not noted while braking but was still present while travelling at highway speeds. After a couple months with the new brake set up, the problem gradually became worse to the point where the steering wheel shimmies whenever the brakes are applied. PLEASE HELP!!!! Does this sound like the new rotors are warped (I do not brake any different than the average driver) or is something else going on. Could it be a suspension problem, a steering system problem, some other problem with the brake system? I am at a loss. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, besides the normal causes of warped rotors (ie inappropriate heating/cooling cycles) are there any other conditions that would predispose the rotors to warpage?

A few months ago I decided to investigate the vibration that I was experiencing in the front end of my 2002 IS300. While travelling at highway speeds there was a very subtle, yet annoying, vibration of the steering wheel. When the brakes were applied the problem seemed to get much worse. So I was thinking about problems related to: my tires, my wheels, my brake system, my steering system. To systematically work through this problem, I first took off my winter tires/wheels and replaced them with my summer tires/wheels (this set was balanced by the dealer). No resolution of the problem. Next I decided to replace all 4 of my rotors and install new pads. I chose drilled slotted Brembo rotors with Axxis pads. The problem resolved somewhat. The vibration was not noted while braking but was still present while travelling at highway speeds. After a couple months with the new brake set up, the problem gradually became worse to the point where the steering wheel shimmies whenever the brakes are applied. PLEASE HELP!!!! Does this sound like the new rotors are warped (I do not brake any different than the average driver) or is something else going on. Could it be a suspension problem, a steering system problem, some other problem with the brake system? I am at a loss. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, besides the normal causes of warped rotors (ie inappropriate heating/cooling cycles) are there any other conditions that would predispose the rotors to warpage?

Sounds like warper rotors...

I know they were all replaced and new pads were installed, but you didn't mention anything about proper torque application to the lug nuts.

You can warp brand new rotors in no time at all if the wheel lugs are not properly torqued. ;)

Could it be a suspension problem, a steering system problem, some other problem with the brake system? I am at a loss. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, besides the normal causes of warped rotors (ie inappropriate heating/cooling cycles) are there any other conditions that would predispose the rotors to warpage?

Sounds like warper rotors...

I know they were all replaced and new pads were installed, but you didn't mention anything about proper torque application to the lug nuts.

You can warp brand new rotors in no time at all if the wheel lugs are not properly torqued. ;)

If your wheels have been properly torqued to spec, I would then check ball joints and steering rod ends, shocks.

If your wheels have been properly torqued to spec, I would then check ball joints and steering rod ends, shocks.

That's also is very true....

But I didn't think that route since he stated that the problem was resolved with new pads and rotors.

Then, a few months passed and the problem came back.

Sounds to me like the lugs were most likely zapped on with an impact wrench without the use of torque sticks, or just improperly torqued by hand.

That will take a few months before the problem reoccurs.

I'd be sure to check all the other components as well... but my money is still on improperly torqued lugs.

Sucks too, waste of money on very nice brake components.

I stand at the shop door when I have any work done which requires the wheels to come off and I don't move until I see the torque wrench get used. <_<

• 1 month later...

Interested in seeing the outcome here.

I had the same issues. I bought new winter tires, had them mounted and balanced, and had a steering alignment done. The shaking went away, however I still had very moderate small amounts of head shake when I applied brake and low speeds. If I applied the brake with some force, the head shake wouldn't exist. Only if I applied the brakes in moderate/steady application.

I had new brakes and rotors installed. However I recently had my rear struts replaced. I was also advised to probably at some point change the front struts. I was told that there was cupping on the front tires.

Perhaps if enough weight is being pushed on the front end when struts are bad, it can cause this head shake when braking. I'm not sure, but that is my on opinion. I'm not sure if my rotors are warped etc.

what do you guys think?

Could also be just about anything in the drive line (out of balence drive shaft / 1/2-shaft, faulty u-joint / diff). This would be consistent with your symptom of sensing the vibration while underway & not braking.

Be curious to hear what the final (correct) dianosis turns out to be.

Cheers

Could it be they didn't swap the air in their tires to Nitrogen gas? (just a joke) Seriously though I have to agree with the torque of the lug nuts over time. Something else to consider is if he/she regularly washes the car immediately after a drive. Why? If he/she is spraying cold water onto a hot rotor on a regular basis, the rapid hot to cold can warp the rotor in the same fashion. Yep, learned it the hard way myself once.