2000 Ls400... How Do You Know For Sure What Options The Car Has?

Fuhgetaboudit

HELP!

I want to purchase a 2000 LS400 for my wife. However, How does one confirm/verify exactly what options and equipment the car came with? I have been to two Lexus dealers and several private partys and each has misrepresented options the car is stated to have, doesn't have, or has and they did not know it. Is there a way to run the V.I.N. # to verify exactly the equipment the car came with? Geez, one Lexus dealer in Sacramento told me the car had Air Suspension, but there wasn't the rocker switch on the console that operates it. I laughed my !Removed! off!

Help me on how to find out the truth about what a 2000 LS400 has, or should have with all the option packages,etc?

Thanks!

One can't tell what options are in a car by inspecting the VIN but I suppose in theory the Lexus organization might be able to determine what options a car has -- but I wouldn't count on it.

Probably your solution is to understand all the option variations and to personally inspect each car. The 2000 LS400 had more option variations than the 98-99 models since the 2000 model year also had three variations of the Platinum Series - SE (standard), SF (Nakamichi), SG (Navigation). The Lexus press release does not discuss all the Platinum variations but the the content and prices have been listed on this forum in the past. Here is a link to the press release on the Platinum Series: http://www.lexus.com/about/press_releases/...2000_02_09.html

I have a complete list of option packages for the 2000 somewhere but please search the Forum first.

Here is a verson of the equipment and option list without the prices. It was downloaded from the the corporate Lexus website back when the 2000 LS was in the CPO program.

-----------------------

The Lexus LS 400 is where remarkable power meets impeccable elegance. With sophisticated safety features and advanced engineering that handles every twist and turn, each year the LS 400 consistently breaks new ground.

The 2000 Lexus LS 400 has retained many of the features found in the 1999 and 1998 designs. The 1998 LS 400 was the third-generation LS, receiving numerous exterior and interior refinements.

For the year 2000, a number of safety and mechanical features have been added as standard equipment, including Brake Assist,[1] Child Restraint Seat (CRS) tether anchor brackets, and an Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) system. Some individual vehicles will have an optional chrome-plated spare included with optional chrome-plated alloy wheels.

Safety Equipment

- Driver's and front passenger's airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)[2]

- Front seat-mounted side-impact airbags (SRS)[2]

- Three-point seatbelts front and rear, fronts with height-adjustable anchors, pre-tensioners and force limiters

- Vehicle Skid Control (VSC)[3]

- Brake Assist[1]

- Child Restraint Seat (CRS) tether anchor brackets

- Daytime running lights

- Strong cabin structure with front and rear crumple zones

- Side-impact beams (front gusseted)

- Rear-window defogger with auto-off timer

- Variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle

- Halogen headlamps with integrated foglamps

- Electrochromic (auto-dimming) inside and outside mirrors

- Vehicle theft-deterrent and engine immobilizer system, with in-key transponder

- Four-wheel ventilated Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

- First aid kit

- Tool kit

Luxury & Convenience

- Multi-information display with drive computer

- Multi-adjustable power front seats

- Power windows with auto open/close feature with pinch protection

- Dual-zone automatic climate control with interior air filter and smog sensor

- Lexus Memory System to control power driver's seat (except lumbar), outside rearview mirrors, driver's shoulder belt anchor height and steering wheel

- Leather-trimmed seating surfaces and interior

- Walnut interior trim

- Three-way programmable transmitter to activate garage door, driveway gate

- Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with automatic tilt-away

- Power door locks with driver's two-turn unlock feature

- Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors

- Sliding left and right sun visors, center sun visor

- Lexus AM/FM/cassette seven-speaker 195-watt (max power) Premium Sound System

- Multifunction remote entry system

- Retained accessory power

- Dual-compartment center console with accessory power outlet and Lexus Cellular Phone storage capability

- Floor mats

- Headrests for all seats, including rear-center

Available Options

Platinum Series

- In-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer

- Bird's-eye maple interior trim

- Uniquely textured Royale leather trim on center section of seats

- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof

- Bird's-eye maple - trimmed steering wheel

- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with dynamic auto leveling

- 16-inch, dish-type alloy wheels

- Black Pearl badging

- Embroidered floor mats

- Complimentary annual fee for American Express Platinum Card® for two years

Premium Package

- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close, pinch protection and sliding sunshade

Nakamichi Audio System Package

- Nakamichi 280-watt (max power) Premium Sound System

- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close, pinch protection and sliding sunshade

- Heated front seats

Navigation System Package

- Lexus Navigation System[4]

- Heated front seats

Individual Options

- Lexus Chrome Wheels

- All-season tires (no-cost option)

- Electronic Air Suspension (requires Nakamichi Package or Navigation Package)

- Lexus Navigation System[4] (not available with Nakamichi Premium Sound System)

- Nakamichi 280-watt (max power) Premium Sound System with in-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer (not available with Lexus Navigation System[4])

- Heated front seats

Dimensions

- Overall length 196.7 in

- Width 72.0 in

- Height 56.5 in

- Wheelbase 112.2 in

- Curb weight 3,890 lb

- Trunk space 13.9 cubic feet

- Fuel-tank capacity 21.9 gallons

Engine

- 90º V8, aluminum block and heads, certified Transitional Low-Emission Vehicle (T-LEV)

- Horsepower at rpm 290 hp @ 6,000

- Torque at rpm 300 lb-ft @ 4,000

Transmission

- Five-speed automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i). Overdrive fifth gear, auto-select shift program, engine/transmission networking, flex-lockup torque converter

Performance

- 0-60 mph acceleration 6.4 seconds[5]

- 1/4-mile acceleration 15.0 seconds[5]

- Top track speed 149 (electronically limited)[6]

- Fuel consumption 18/25 mpg city/highway[7]

- Aerodynamic drag coefficient 0.28

Changes Made To The 2000 LS 400

Standard Features:

- Brake Assist[1]

- Child Restraint Seat (CRS) tether anchor brackets

- Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) system

- Fuel-tank capacity slightly reduced

Optional Features:

- Chrome-plated spare included with optional chrome-plated alloy wheels

1] Brake Assist is designed to help the driver take full advantage of the benefits of ABS. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Braking effectiveness also depends on proper brake-system maintenance and tire and road conditions.

[2] The Lexus driver's, front passenger's, and front seat-mounted side-impact airbags are a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). The driver's and front passenger's airbags are designed to inflate in a severe frontal collision. The side-impact airbags are designed to inflate in a severe side-impact collision. In all other accidents, the airbags will not inflate. To decrease the risk of injury from a deploying airbag, always wear seatbelts, sit upright in the middle of the seat, and do not lean against the door. Do not put objects in front of an airbag or around the seatback. Do not use rearward-facing child seats in any front passenger seat. The force of a deploying airbag SRS may cause serious injury. Please see your Owner's Manual for further instructions.

[3] Lexus Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please see your Owner's Manual for further details.

[4] The Lexus Navigation System is designed to assist in locating an address or point of interest. Discrepancies may be encountered between the system and your actual location. Changes in street names, road closures, traffic flow or other road system changes may affect the accuracy of the mapping software. Rely upon your common sense to decide whether or not to follow a specified route. Detailed coverage not available in every city. Optional periodic geographic updates available at an additional cost. See your Navigation Owner's Manual and your Lexus dealer for further details.

[5] Car and Driver, April 1998. These performance capacity figures are for comparison only and were obtained with prototype vehicles by professional drivers using special safety equipment and procedures. These should not be attempted on public streets or highways.

[6] These performance capacity figures are for comparison only and were obtained with prototype vehicles by professional drivers using special safety equipment and procedures. These should not be attempted on public streets or highways.

[7] Preliminary mileage figures determined by Lexus. See your Lexus dealer for details.

WOW!!

Many Many thanks to both 1990LS400 and Mehullica for the great advice and information. Without a Forum for such a fine and wonderful car, where would one turn for help! I really really appreciate all the time you've taken to help solve my problem.

[JIM] 1990LS400:

We are about to purchase a 2000 LS400 that is Black, with Black interior from the original owners. They are now about 72yrs old and I had a question about the dash woodgrain trim. Our car that we are about to purchase has all woodgrain on the console, the radio and around the center airconditioning vents. It even has a strip of woodgrain just below the instrument cluster of the Speedo and also on the right and left dash airconditioning vents as well as the right and left door handle and seat memory parts. I have not ever seen this woodgrain on other cars and wondered if you have, They are the original owners as verified through car fax and they said it was purchased this way from the dealer, it is not aftermarket. Could this be true, as I've looked at about 40 cars and havern't seen this type of extensive woodgrain package on any of them

Thanks for the help!!

Fuhgetaboudit,

The additional wood trim on the car you are looking at had to have been installed by the dealer if it was on the car when the original owers bought it new -- some dealers install all sorts of things on cars before they put them on their lot. I even remember seeing a photo of an LS400 with a vinyl top -- a Lexus dealer in Florida did it -- I guess he was catering to the old folks.

I don't know much about wood kits except I have seen several cars where the kit wood was discolored and coming off. You will find a number of sellers of Lexus wood kits by doing an Internet search.

Fuhgetaboudit,

The additional wood trim on the car you are looking at had to have been installed by the dealer if it was on the car when the original owers bought it new -- some dealers install all sorts of things on cars before they put them on their lot. I even remember seeing a photo of an LS400 with a vinyl top -- a Lexus dealer in Florida did it -- I guess he was catering to the old folks.

I don't know much about wood kits except I have seen several cars where the kit wood was discolored and coming off. You will find a number of sellers of Lexus wood kits by doing an Internet search.

1990 LS400:

I contacted a Lexus Dealer as advised and asked the service writer to run my V.I.N. number in their computer. We then received a listing of codes for my vehicle and sure enough there is a code of the year 2000 showing at 2 miles on the odometer the originating Lexus dealer installed a Factory Lexus Walnut Burl Wood Kit on the car. The Service Writer did not even know that Lexus even offered that for 2000 as they do not offer it now, but sure enough..... there it was on the manifest for the car. All the Burl on the car is in excellent plus condition and I couldn't be more pleased to learn it is not aftermarket, but actual Lexus material. Cool!

The wood kit on the car you are looking at is not "actual Lexus material". It would be nice if it was but it is an aftermarket kit installed by the dealer.

Like I said previously in this thead, Lexus dealers install all sorts of aftermarket options which do not come from the manufacturer.

For example, I bought an optional non-Lexus fixed phone from the dealer when I bought my first LS new in 1990. My 2000 LS rolled off the Lexus dealer new car lot with "Platinum Series Chrome Wheels" even though Lexus did not offer them as an option. When they were replaced under warranty in 2003, Lexus was not involved in the replacement -- the warranty was from the California aftermarket supplier. If the chrome wheels had been bought separately, they would have had a much shorter warranty. Since they were dealer installed, the Lexus dealer covered them under the same 4 year/50K mile warranty.

Lexus dealers sold lots of other non-sanctioned options -- the range of aftermarket options seems limited only by a dealer's imagination. For many years almost every Lexus dealer sold integrated radar detectors as a new car option -- they were aftermarket too.

Florida seems to be the "hot bed" of the more unusual new car options -- if you look hard enough in Florida you might find an LS with one of those "L" logo dealer installed hood ornaments. LOL

• 1 year later...
Is this option list applicable to 1999 models too?

The 1999 LS I just bought sounds like it has the Premiumum package.

Moonroof

CD changer

Light, reddish colored wood trim

embroidered floor mats and trunk mat

Yes, the packages for the 1999 model year were the same as for the 2000 except that the Platinum package was only for 2000.

There were no advertised packages for the 1998 LS400 - options were priced separately - although in reality it might have been impossible to purchase some options without also purchasing others.