Thinking About New Car For The Wife.

LEXIRX330

OK...1st she loved the MDX now it is the TL...went from SUV to a car on me but...OK... :whistles:

BUT...we started comparing the TL to some other cars including the IS, 325i, and c230...and now she is not even interested at all in the Acura. We just saw the IS and all she said was I don't like the back of it that much??? OK :whistles: Whatever? I like it... B)

325i or c230...Lexus still is not out of the picture... if i have anything to say about it :ph34r: j/k

Now I should say we are probably going to lease the car that she picks. The Mercedes dealership is the closest to us...BMW is the next closest and BMW pays for all scheduled services? That is kind of attractive...considering that the lease payments are pretty close on all of them. Insurance is also close.

Now I need you guys to help with some ammo to convince her to pick the IS...honestly I would either want her to get the IS or the 325i...but it is her choice and I want her to be happy with whatever she gets, so that I am happy!!!

I am a the type of person that if I see what I want and the numbers are right I will sign and drive. She on the other hand wants a car today and then??? I love to get in to a good negotiation at the dealerships...but her nah...she gets upset...about the whole thing??? So we may get a car this weekend next week or...who knows??? Just wanted to hear all of your opinions!!

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

If not the IS, get the BMW. The C class is very old, the 3 and the IS are fresh and new. The free maintenance at BMW makes them great to lease. Get the BMW.

In fact, I probably would get the BMW over the IS...

If not the IS, get the BMW. The C class is very old, the 3 and the IS are fresh and new. The free maintenance at BMW makes them great to lease. Get the BMW.

In fact, I probably would get the BMW over the IS...

Since it would be a lease that is the way I am kind of leaning too. I think that they are pretty sharp looking too.

What do you think of the Acura SW ??????? Just wondering?

Yeah, I'm awful tempted to lease a BMW next time just because I like the idea of purely being unresponsable for anything but the lease payments and gas. Some say the oil change intervals are too long (they only pay to change every 15k) and it leads to later in life sludging, but its a lease who cares LOL. when you consider I pay probably $1500-$1800 a year in maintenance costs, thats an extra $125-$150 a month you can spend and come out the same, that gets you looking at a 5 series if you were looking at an ES Lexus.

Plus, BMW has great factory leases (Lexus has terrible factory leases).

All luxury car companies will go to free maintenance eventualy.

I like the Acura, but it doesn't have the gravitas of the BMW or the Lexus. Its a "wanna be" car. The IS and 3 are entry level, but they aren't "entry level" if you know what I mean.

lol yeah i saw those pictures last year...they are still just photoshop though so you cant really judge it. If you need a car now, then dont think about the C class, the redesign comes out next year and you dont want a new car thats going to be old in a year...and also mercs on the rode of rubbish now...New ones are going to be "different".

i actually like the look of the S class, which is why im going to buy a C class for myself when it comes out :) honestly i dont like the direction bmw is going, especially with the back of the cars...the front looks good tho

Also, i dont think all luxury cars will have free maitenance, because audi and mercedes had it, but they took it off cause it was too costly. BMW is the only auto maker that has it right now, and eventually i think they are going to drop it.

pros to owning a lexus IS:

Cheap Maintenance compared to MB...but not bmw obviously

Reliability

Looks

Price/Value

Looks

Looks :cheers:

Well I think we are going Sat to look at the BMW 325i. I could careless about the 15000 mile interval...because it will be leased...like SW said. If it was a car I think I would keep for any length of time I would prefer having a Lexus.

You guys have just about echoed my thoughts! EVEN SW...I think we need to watch out for a storm! :lol: :D

Have a good weekend!

I know LOL

Yeah, if you're going to OWN the car then get the Lexus, but if its a lease as long as it doesn't leave you stranded (which a Benz might LOL) then why not take a chance on something a little different.

I know LOL

Yeah, if you're going to OWN the car then get the Lexus, but if its a lease as long as it doesn't leave you stranded (which a Benz might LOL) then why not take a chance on something a little different.

Well it was down to 2...she absolutely does not like the IS? :cries:

c230 or the 325i...

I took a few days off of work and we decided we would find out which one. With out driving the cars I would have leased the 325i with out even looking at the Benz...but...the...325 i is not for me. First off...what did not impress me...over $35,000 car...no CD changer, fake leather (leatherette) seats and when you sit in the passenger seats the cup holders are right above your knees. ;) It drove great but I kept my mouth shut as this was not going to be my primary car it would be my wife's. I wanted her to be happy and make up her own mind. She liked the BMW but wanted to see and drive the c230...so we took the Benz for a little drive and I knew she was sold. Granite Grey Metallic...looks kind of light blue in sun and silver at night...which sold me because up until now she wanted black...which would have meant countless hours of cleaning for me. :D I have to admit this would have been, and was one of the last cars that we looked at for her but I really feel like we found the perfect car for her. She is thrilled and I am more than impressed with the handling and ride of this car over the 325 i, which I thought would have been the exact opposite.

but if its a lease as long as it doesn't leave you stranded (which a Benz might LOL) then why not take a chance on something a little different.

If it does leave us stranded I will break out one of my 3 motorclub plans! Allstate Motor club, Lexus motor club (for mine), and the Benz has a motor club too...I would hope that the car will last at least 3 years...I guess I will find out. My sister had no problems with hers.

But that is how I feel too! As long as it doesn't leave me stranded! :cheers:

By the way just a tip for anyone looking to lease any car...watch the salesman! The BMW dealership flipped the figures on me. This I promise had no factor at all on the decision we made, but he took the purchase price back up $3,500...on the lease. I caught it but I was not worried about it at the time. I had negotiated the price as a purchase when I told him to show me a lease with the same figures he sure enough took the purchase price back to sticker price. Made my mind up...even if she did like the BMW I would have went to another dealership!

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Is she comfortable with the fact that the car will be redesigned in 2 months?

Personally, the C class looks like an economy car to me, and the body style is 6 model years old...

Is she comfortable with the fact that the car will be redesigned in 2 months?

Personally, the C class looks like an economy car to me, and the body style is 6 model years old...

By the way thanks to everyone for your help and opinions!

To tell you the truth...since it is a lease and I did tell her that they would be changing the body style soon...I do not think she will mind at all...you never know though! And after riding in the BMW if it was up to me I would take the Benz too. Hey if she is happy...I am Happy!

This is what I found out on Edmunds...about the redesign...

2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Compact Sedan

Available: 2007

What Edmunds.com Says:Expect an increased similarity between the 2008 C-Class and other Mercedes' redesigns, but still a great variety within the model's own ranks.

What We Know: Mercedes plans on redesigning the entire C-Class lineup for the 2008 model year with new sedans, coupes, wagons all coming out within a year or so of each other. Underneath the surface of these redoubtable middlemen in the company's lineup, we will see a lot more component-sharing with other upcoming Mercedes' models, namely, the redesigned E- and S-Class, as well as the new X-Class small SUV. The sedan versions of the C-Class should make their way to the U.S. first, starting in the second half of 2007. Versions of the car will be available with a choice of rear- and all-wheel drive, along with a variety of four- and six-cylinder engines. Mercedes might even sell a diesel version of the car in the U.S., and a V8-equipped AMG model can surely be expected.

And this is what I had found on out about the redesign...off of benzworld.

Vehicle: 2006 C230 SS

Posts: 12 Google is your friend and I heard through the grapevine that Google and the Search feature of this forum are drinking buddies :P Yep, they will release an all new C-Class for 2008 around spring-summer 2007.

The general consensus, AFAIK on all MB forums is that the new style is ugly. And I agree. Then again, I haven't seen a real photo of the real deal. Anyways, if you have leased your '06 wait til late '08 and jump to the new model.

If it is re-designed you probably don't want the first generation of the new model. I would wait at least a couple of years after it's released for them to iron out the bugs. I also purchased an 06 C230...but at least you know you got the latest debugged version of W203.

Posts: 4 I also chose this car over a BMW because I love the way it looks. I am definitely more concerned in the resale value than anything. I am in sales and my business is picking up, the next car I look to getting is either a new M3 when they come out in a few years or a C55 AMG. Either way I stand to lose thousands off the resale value just because there is a more recent body style available which makes the W203 less desirable and less valueble. I think the 2008 C class will be as most new body style cars released are.. Considered less than beautiful to begin with then they grow on you and become the one you love.

You can see from the "spy" photos that are out there (the two big tailpipes on the one I saw would seem to suggest it's the upcoming AMG model - I hope they give it the new from-scratch AMG 6.2) that it's losing, at least in the test iterations, the round headlights and picking up a redesigned rear end with a more pronounced trunk - not Maybach, but a toned-down minic thereof.

In short, it looks like a baby S-class, which I don't like - at least I don't think it will translate well. There's no mistaking an S-class for anything else on the road. It's a monster of a car and universally adored, really.

I just think that trying to mimic those looks on something the size of the C-class will come off with it looking too much like its Japanese competitors.

Posts: 32 The '06 C Class is already 5 years old, so I wonder why you are surprised that MB plans to change it soon? Moreover, it isn't incumbent on a car company to publicize that they are changing styles. As for resale value, well, it's a car, and cars are a losing proposition, especially expensive ones. I wouldn't recommend buying a premium car for its resale value tomorrow--buy it for what it does for you today and what it represents. I'd suggest driving and enjoying your beautiful car--it is a great design and will always look good. And by the time you are ready to get the new one, the bugs will have been worked out of it.

Quit whining, 2006 model year is a highly refined version of an already magnificent car no matter what flavor you get it in. Mercedes-Benz invested some 1.3 billion dolars into the W203 and it definitely represents one of the best values of all other the other marques. Whether yours is the 2.5 , 3.0 or new 3.5 litre the standard features put this motorcar head and shoulders above other offerings. Anyhow, the 07 models don't look as clean and aero as the 203.

Posts: 12 well the same thing just happened to all the people who bought an 06 s-class, an 06 e-class, and now it has happend to all us who bought an 06 c-class ( both e and c getting revisions).

There's no accounting for taste, but you couldn't personally give me a C class. There are tons of cars I'd buy for the money first. Its old, small, slow, has econo car proportions...

I'm just really surprised you liked it more than the new 3...

Im backing him up on that statement. I love the C class and im sure ill love the new version...I was going to buy one for myself and one of "my" cars...something to get away with from the wifey. THe problem is that i also read comments on the Merc forums and they say horrible things about the C class as having a lot of issues...maybe because its the lowest model?

So im waiting for the new version to come out, and if you would liek to see recent photochops of them because they look really good, go here

http://benzinsider.com/2006/07/more-illust...xt-c-class.html

I'm just really surprised you liked it more than the new 3...

The new 3 did not impress me at all. It did drive nice. To give you my best description it felt kind of like driving in a "cheap" car. It did not have the quality of my Lexus for sure, and the material that they used for the interior was terrible. Now I am sure if we test drove a higher priced BMW that did not have the leatherette that would have made a major difference but I am sure that the dash, CD Player and the buttons would have all been the same and I personally did not like the feel of it at all. This was her decision not mine, she crossed that car off of her list we moved on and I thought that after she did not like this car we would be back to looking at the IS...but when she saw the Benz she was happy...so we got her the car that she wanted. I knew that they would be redesigning the car...that doesn't bother me all that much.

Its old, small, slow, has econo car proportions...

Your next statement sums that up for me...I personally would have gotten the IS, but I definitely would have gotten the C230 over the 325i.

SW the c230 is not a Corvette but it sure is not slow...

Econo proportions? You do like the 325 i right? #'s are pretty close.

Exterior 3 Series C-Class

Length 178.2 in. 178.4 in.

Width 71.5 in. 68 in.

Height 55.9 in. 55.6 in.

Weight 3285 lbs. 3405 lbs.

Wheel Base 108.7 in. 106.9 in.

Interior 3 Series C-Class

Front Headroom 37.4 in. 38.9 in.

Rear Headroom 37.1 in. 37.3 in.

Front Shoulder Room 55.4 in. 53.1 in.

Rear Shoulder Room 55.1 in. 54.3 in.

Front Hip Room Not Published 51.9 in.

Rear Hip Room Not Published 54.5 in.

Front Leg Room 41.5 in. 41.7 in.

Rear Leg Room 34.6 in. 33 in.

Maximum Luggage Capacity 12 cu.ft. 12.2 cu.ft.

Maximum Seating 5 5

Oh well, to each their own.

And that is what makes this county so great! Thanks again for everyone's views! :cheers:

great choice on the baby benz. At least you got the final year model meaning the model with the least hassel...i think, or i hope. And the most important thing about buying a benz is that you know your car is heavier than the other persons...knock on wood that that would never happen. :whistles:

By "proportions" I did not mean the physical size, I meant the way a vehicle looks. The C has the high roofline and short hood and trunk of an economy car (the look of being designed from the inside out) that I dont care for. The 3 has it too, but its not as obvious. Thats why I've always liked the ES, its not a "small car" like the C and 3 are.

And the most important thing about buying a benz is that you know your car is heavier than the other persons

That may have been the case in the past, but not anymore.

great choice on the baby benz. At least you got the final year model meaning the model with the least hassel...i think, or i hope. And the most important thing about buying a benz is that you know your car is heavier than the other persons...knock on wood that that would never happen. :whistles:

Thanks Rx330driver! Hope they have all of the flaws out! :D

By "proportions" I did not mean the physical size, I meant the way a vehicle looks. The C has the high roofline and short hood and trunk of an economy car (the look of being designed from the inside out) that I dont care for. The 3 has it too, but its not as obvious. Thats why I've always liked the ES, its not a "small car" like the C and 3 are.

My fault. I thought you said it was the size of a mini cooper? J/K My wife likes it and that is all that matters...