Starter Kickback?

akewlguy

Once every 20 starts I get some type of kickback...

Usually when the car is warm and I park for five minutes. The starter goes and then when engine starts I hear a quick kick or something? Two people heard it and said it sounds like starter kickback?

Also every so often when I turn the starter it gives a quick attempt and then the engine is about to start and nothing. More or less silence. So then I turn key again and the engine starts.

Anyone have this issue before? 100,000 on a 93.

Once every 20 starts I get some type of kickback...

Usually when the car is warm and I park for five minutes. The starter goes and then when engine starts I hear a quick kick or something? Two people heard it and said it sounds like starter kickback?

Also every so often when I turn the starter it gives a quick attempt and then the engine is about to start and nothing. More or less silence. So then I turn key again and the engine starts.

Anyone have this issue before? 100,000 on a 93.

Yep...got it now, always had it too. it's a thump sound when the engine engages. The starter only has about 40,000 miles on it too. I use to think it was a busted motor mount, but those are new and I still get it every now and then. I haven't had the other thing though with the engine not starting and going silent.

Mine is not aftermarket. The dealership replaced mine under the recall notice. I have the paperwork. Honestly Kewl, I wouldn't worry about it until it absolutly breaks down completly. I mean, replacing the starter is no small task, and probably costs close to what the market value of the car is now...it's simply not worth it. As long as the car starts, even if it takes a couple extra turns of the key, then I say "go with it". Our cars are so old, I think its' wise to save that money for a down-payment on a newer one when the bills rack up to the point of no return.

I know I'm spewing the anti-lexi repair lingo here, but you've got to call a spade-a-spade sometimes. I'm pretty much done fixing mine except for a messed up drive shaft. After that...no more. I want a 430, and this 11 year old 400 is getting in my way...

Mine is not aftermarket. The dealership replaced mine under the recall notice. I have the paperwork. Honestly Kewl, I wouldn't worry about it until it absolutly breaks down completly. I mean, replacing the starter is no small task, and probably costs close to what the market value of the car is now...it's simply not worth it. As long as the car starts, even if it takes a couple extra turns of the key, then I say "go with it". Our cars are so old, I think its' wise to save that money for a down-payment on a newer one when the bills rack up to the point of no return.

I know I'm spewing the anti-lexi repair lingo here, but you've got to call a spade-a-spade sometimes. I'm pretty much done fixing mine except for a messed up drive shaft. After that...no more. I want a 430, and this 11 year old 400 is getting in my way...

I want a 430, and this 11 year old 400 is getting in my way...

Ohhhh..................OUCH!!!!!

nc211, you might want to check out a factory repair manual for the 430 before you buy one. You may think twice about getting one once you see how complicated the electronics and mechanicals are of a 430 compared to a '97 or earlier LS400.

"I want a 430, and this 11 year old 400 is getting in my way...

Ohhhh..................OUCH!!!!!"

Well you know what I mean :cheers: . Not knocking my 95 or anything, but at somepoint I'll need to update with a LS430. In addition to all the life changing events that have happened in my world the past 30 days, I landed a new job that starts on the 12th of June. The base pay nearly doubled from where I'm at now w/ the addition of a large bonus in March, and I anticipate in another year or so, I'll be in the financial position to take on the 430. The job will require a bit of travel for property site inspections up and down the east coast. Swo, will most likely be in your neck of the woods quite frequently. DC is a big market for us, as is NY. Tighten down the hatches Yankees, the white colar hillbilly express is a coming your way!

"nc211, you might want to check out a factory repair manual for the 430 before you buy one. You may think twice about getting one once you see how complicated the electronics and mechanicals are of a 430 compared to a '97 or earlier LS400."

I don't doubt that! But in all honesty, technology has evolved so much over the past 11 years that Honda Civic's now have more technical wiring crap in them than my 95' LS400 does. I think it's just something we have to deal with. Luckily I'm smart enough to know Lexus builds the best and most reliable! :cheers: