Ipod Control Via Touchscreen

alexmw

Hi All ! Has anyone installed the Vaistech ipod interface? Im interested in knowing if this unit can control the ipod through album / genre / artist etc, or only by creating playlists like some of the other products out there.

Also can the touchscreen be used to control the ipod faetures? I have checked out the vaistech website but still not too clear on details.

Thanks!!

Alex,

I have researched this unit and understand that you must create playlists to see artist info etc..

I believe that you are able to control IPOD through both NAV screen and steering wheel controls.

VAIS tech dept is very helpful they reply quick.

I was all set to purchase the unit until I heard that a new VAIS product is in development that integrates video signal to NAV screen ( on the web site but not due until later this year)

We are evaluating an SLI unit in a 2006 GX470, set in MD changer mode.

You can control the iPod through the touchscreen and steering wheel.

The way it works, is that it acts like a CD changer. The "playlists" on the unit are seen as "CD"s in the changer, up to 99 playlists (CDs).

What we did is make a playlist for all CDs in our Nano that is in the vehicle. The album/song/artist info is displayed on the screen. I do not believe there is a method to move between songs based on artist and/or song title. Just from playlist to playlist by using "Disc up" and Disc down"... and in between songs ON that playlist by "next Track" and "previous Track". Also, the Fast forward and Rewind buttons work on the touchscreen controls to skip along within the song.

The sound quality is very good and we are happy with the unit so far.

Since the stock stereo doesn't natively support iPod interfacing... this adapter has to make the iPod look like a CD changer, and control it like a CD Changer, using built-in CD changer controls. Therefore, the previous limitations are in place.

It's really no big deal, and we got used to the controls very quickly. About the best you can hope for, considering the limitations of the stock head unit.

I've installed the vais tech unit in my car and it works great. If you want to control the iPod via the touchscreen you do have to generate playlists. The nice thing is that it does control the iPod so that when a bluetooth phone call comes in it will pause the iPod, when you shut off the car, or switch to radio or CD it will pause the iPod.

I have a web site that details the installation in my 2005 GX470

http://www.emba42.com/lexus/

• 2 months later...

I just picked up my brand new 2006 GS 430 on Tuesday. I am a convert from BMW and WOW, what a car!

I have Nav, the Mark Levinson sound system and factory installed XM. I have two questions:

1. Will installing a Vais or Neo iOn SP iPod adapter disable access to my XM radio or CD changer? I read somewhere that it may.

2. Which is a better adapter, the Vais or Neo iOn SP? The only difference that I can find is the Neo iOn SP allows you to control your iPod just like the Vais AND on the iPod itself.

Here is a link for the Nei iOn SP: www.mp3yourcar.com

Thanks in advance for your help!

TD

try the GS forum. They will have more specific answers to your question because every car has their own characteristc and style when it comes to adding Ipod Adaptors. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All ! Has anyone installed the Vaistech ipod interface? Im interested in knowing if this unit can control the ipod through album / genre / artist etc, or only by creating playlists like some of the other products out there.

Also can the touchscreen be used to control the ipod faetures? I have checked out the vaistech website but still not too clear on details.

Thanks!!

Alex,

;) I had this Vaistech installed. The first one had a defection cable (random problems, more when it was cold). Vaistech support was good and helped me replace the defective unit. Since then, the SLI from them work GREAT within my 2006 GX 470. I have since showed to 4 other lexus owners that have purchased the unit. They all like it as much as I do, and with no like issues. RDL

• 5 months later...
I've installed the vais tech unit in my car and it works great. If you want to control the iPod via the touchscreen you do have to generate playlists. The nice thing is that it does control the iPod so that when a bluetooth phone call comes in it will pause the iPod, when you shut off the car, or switch to radio or CD it will pause the iPod.

Daryl!!

You are the man!

I just got my GX470 and was researching the Vias ipod controller. Dealers want to charge up to $300 to install, your posting will come in handy after I get my adapter in the mail.

Thank You!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Daryl!!

You are the man!

I just got my GX470 and was researching the Vias ipod controller. Dealers want to charge up to $300 to install, your posting will come in handy after I get my adapter in the mail.

Thank You!!!

Yo! DARYL!!!

your step by step guide was the greatest!

I just installed the SLI unit intio my GX and dude! it works crazy cool. no more FM transmitters to mess with, clear CD sound from my owesome sound system!'

for you interested in doing it yourself, it only takes about 30 mins max! do it! you'll save up $300 in installation fees.

cool.

Thanks!!

Alex,

You can't browse, but if you want to hear the next song on that cd, just push the up button on the touchscreen. That's as close as you're gonna get.

The unit is great, but it has it's drawbacks. Even though you are only supposed to have 99 songs in a playlist, I've got 5000+ on one, so I don't think that it has a limit. I do get some random errors because of it tho. It gets confused and will sometimes list the wrong song or overwrite, but it's well worth it

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please send me the step-by-step guide? I can't access the link. If anyone resides in CO, please let me know of a local installer. I'd love to have add this feature as well as the dvd restriction over-ride.

Much appreciated!

chieplai@gmail.com

Thanks!!

Alex,

You can't browse, but if you want to hear the next song on that cd, just push the up button on the touchscreen. That's as close as you're gonna get.

The unit is great, but it has it's drawbacks. Even though you are only supposed to have 99 songs in a playlist, I've got 5000+ on one, so I don't think that it has a limit. I do get some random errors because of it tho. It gets confused and will sometimes list the wrong song or overwrite, but it's well worth it

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I have an '09 RX350 with NAV. I have installed the Vais Tech SL2Vi. The unit works perfectly, but does not override the NAV. However, I recently purchased the NAV override kit from Prestigious Society (www.prestigioussociety.com). The unit overrides the locked NAV features exactly as it describes on their website, and I couldn't be happier with the end result. I can now listen to and watch all my videos via the NAV unit (while in motion), as well as operate all the GPS and phone features. Had them installed separately at an auto stereo shop. Each install was actually less than an hour. I highly recommend that ipod / NAV override solution as being superior to anything out there short of replacing the NAV unit altogether.