Diy Transmission Change?

bored7one4

Hi,

I have a 99 Rx with 75k on it and now i would like to change my transmission oil myself. Is the any way i can get detailed instrustions on how to do so and how many of the toyota transmission oil quarts do i need?

also what type of motor oil does it take? 5w30 right?

Your questions indicate that you're too much of a novice to tackle a DIY automotive project.

Your transaxle uses ATF, automatic transmission fluid, actually a special purpose hydraulic fluid. Five quarts purchased at Lexus only.

There are no DIY tutorials available, but tons of information in the RX discussion forum archives. So search the RX forum archive using search words like "transmission fluid change" . Your RX uses the same fluids, lubes and filters as the Toyota Highlander SUV so your local Toyota dealer carries the Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid you need for about 50% less than a Lexus dealer would charge.

DIY! What DIY? Find level workspace. Remove transmission drain bolt (must know where bolt is). Let fluid drain into container. Replace drain bolt. Measure amount drained. Replace with equal amount of Toyota Type IV fluid by refilling through dipstick (must know where transmission dipstick is). Shift transmission through all gears while holding foot on brake and engine idling. Check transmission level while in park with engine idling hot to make sure it's OK. I'm probably assuming too much :).

After careful considerstion, I'd cancel this post but I don't know how. I'd go with WWEST.

Edited by Ericok

Hi,

I have a 99 Rx with 75k on it and now i would like to change my transmission oil myself. Is the any way i can get detailed instrustions on how to do so and how many of the toyota transmission oil quarts do i need?

also what type of motor oil does it take? 5w30 right?

Here is a DIY for the trans complete with pictures.

http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/xmission_fluid_change1.htm

First, the filter is a simple screen filter and as such isn't likely to need changing out. Second, if you DIY a 5th quart should be drained via the diff'l drain plug. And last, were I you I would drop the sump pan and clean out all the clutch friction surface debris there.

My first time, at ~40,000 miles, I only drained 4 qts, not being aware of the diffl drain plug. And then a week later when I discovered my ATF was still looking and smelling burned I repeated the process but this time drained 5 quarts and cleaned the sump pan.

Now at 50,000 miles and looking good to go.