Installed Tanny Mount! Long

92LS4008888

finally changed my transmission mount. Here is what you need to do:

Drive the car up on a ramp (I used a Rhino Ramp)

Use the jack that came with the car, together with a piece of wood, to even out the pressure point, and apply jack on tranny pan. You need to apply just enough jacking force to lift the tranny about 1/2 inch.

Behind the tranny pan, you will notice a cross member. This cross member is held to the chassis by 4 14mm bolts. There will also be 4 12 mm nuts that holds the tranny mount towards center of this crossmember.

Remove the 4 nuts in the center followed by the 4 bolts on the crossmember, remove the crossmember.

You will be able to see the tranny mount. The tranny mount is held to the tranny by 4 bolts. Remove the 4 bolts and remove tranny mount.

Install new tranny mount.

Alldata list torque figures for the 12mm nut at 10 pounds and the 14 mm bolt for the cross member at 19 pounds. Is this correct? Anyone please care to comment?

My old mount's rubber was pretty much squashed to the point that it was metal on metal. See attached pics:

Notice that there is barely 1/8 of inch of space. With the weight of the tranny, I am sure that it was metal on metal - this means all the vibration will come through

wMTExNzEzNzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTExNzEzODZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

I did not have the time to take the car for a drive but I immediately noticed less vibration at idle. I am sure that the motor mounts are probably shot. However motor mounts are $110 each and labor is another $250 or so. It is too difficult a job for me to undertake.

The tranny mount took me 30 minutes, the mount cost about $56 delivered from Park Place Lexus. It is a really cheap solution for those looking to reduce vibration. Anyone can do it.

My car has 200K and has issue of vibration.

• 4 weeks later...

92LS4008888,

Thanks for the writeup. I finally got around to changing my tranny/rear motor mount. My symptoms were a rattling when accelerating with load. No noise when gassing it in neutral. My 1990 has 144k and the history shows no replacement of the mounts. The part was Toyota part #12371-50010 and was $61. Not cheap. I just bought a tranny mount for my 1991 MBZ 300CE for $12.

The change is an easy DIY. You'll spend the most time cleaning around where the mount attaches to the tranny and where the bracket attaches to the chassis. The manufacturing dates molded into the rubber seem to indicate Jan 1989. Pretty good service from this part!

The rattling has been greatly reduced but not eliminated. I suspect my engine mounts are original and need changing also.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 MBZ 300CE

2000 MBZ C280

Glen, at that mileage, I bet you're right on the motor mounts. When I had my tranny mount changed at 90k, you couldn't really tell the difference between the old one and the new one except for the old one being dirty a little bit more compressed.