Rack Replacement

lexus400

Lexus400, I'm curious, what are the symptoms you're having that is making you replace the rack? I'm thinking my wobble situation might actually be in the steering. I've got 106k miles on my 95, with new outer tie rods only.

Well, I have a couple of things going on:

- I replaced the inner and outer tie rods last year and noticed fluid inside the boots when I did the inners. I knew that it was starting to go. Fast forward a year and about 15k miles and it's leaking pretty good. I also have a clunk in the steering that feels like it's in the rack. With someone else in the car moving the wheel back and forth and my hand on the rack, I can feel something internal. It's the original rack with 165k so it's bound to have some play. I have a remanned rack on the way for $275 and picked up the rack grommets and inner tie rods for another $135. The only other thing I might change is the yoke which looks like a miniature u-joint on the end of the steering shaft. I'll check that when I take the old rack out.

Bob

Got the rack out. took about 2 hours. Pretty EZ actually. I took some pics and will do a writeup when I get the new one installed. Couple of tips now in case anyone is doing one or just about to:

1) The rack doesn't appear to come out w/o loosening up the motor mounts and jacking up the engine OR a much easier way is loosen the subframe bolts which will drop the whole engine down about 3/4". Once you do that, the rack comes right out.

2) The PDF says to "loosen" the top yoke bolt and remove the bottom one. Not sure why the top one needs to be loosened. The bottom is what disconnects from the rack (If you don't know, the "yoke" is the u-joint looking piece that connects the steering shaft to the rack).

3) I STRONGLY recommend changing the motor mounts (or at least the driver side) while the rack is out. I did mine about six months ago and what would be a 20 min job w/o the rack takes a couple of hours. The pass side is probably easier w/o the rack too but not horrible with it in place.

4) The only things you need to disconnect are:

tie rod ends

2 PS line connections (these are facing the front of the car and are the

hardest part)

soleniod connection (quick disconnect)

steering yoke

4 rack mounting bolts

5) I got new outer tie rod ends and rack grommets.

More to follow,

Bob

• 3 months later...

Hey Bob,

I am getting ready to rebuild the entire steering system on my 92 LS400. The pump and rack are starting to leak and the pump is starting to make a whinning noise. Where did you buy your parts? The dealer is very expensive ($487 for rebuilt pump - $438 for rebuilt rack and $382 for new high pressure hose). Have you posted your pictures yet?

Thanks in advance :cheers: ,

Frodo

Got the rack out. took about 2 hours. Pretty EZ actually. I took some pics and will do a writeup when I get the new one installed. Couple of tips now in case anyone is doing one or just about to:

1) The rack doesn't appear to come out w/o loosening up the motor mounts and jacking up the engine OR a much easier way is loosen the subframe bolts which will drop the whole engine down about 3/4". Once you do that, the rack comes right out.

2) The PDF says to "loosen" the top yoke bolt and remove the bottom one. Not sure why the top one needs to be loosened. The bottom is what disconnects from the rack (If you don't know, the "yoke" is the u-joint looking piece that connects the steering shaft to the rack).

3) I STRONGLY recommend changing the motor mounts (or at least the driver side) while the rack is out. I did mine about six months ago and what would be a 20 min job w/o the rack takes a couple of hours. The pass side is probably easier w/o the rack too but not horrible with it in place.

4) The only things you need to disconnect are:

tie rod ends

2 PS line connections (these are facing the front of the car and are the

hardest part)

soleniod connection (quick disconnect)

steering yoke

4 rack mounting bolts

5) I got new outer tie rod ends and rack grommets.

More to follow,

Bob

• 7 years later...

I have been searching for a similar topic of discussion for a few weeks. Maybe, someone here can help me find the right part for replacement.

For the 1996 LS 400, there are two types of power steering rack listed in most auto parts websites. One with the EVO built-in and the other without.

Does either one work? Or, is it a silly question?
The OEM # on mine is 44250-50090 (given to me by my local Lexus dealer).

manu date: 04/96, VIN# JT8BH22F5T0059451

I have tried many auto parts websites. Only one has given me a Maval SKU#W0133-1739762 via live chat line, but not in stock and not posted on the web page. So there is no way for me to read the description and confirm if indeed it is the right one.

Thanks,

iMaLexist

I have been searching for a similar topic of discussion for a few weeks. Maybe, someone here can help me find the right part for replacement.

For the 1996 LS 400, there are two types of power steering rack listed in most auto parts websites. One with the EVO built-in and the other without.

Does either one work? Or, is it a silly question?

The OEM # on mine is 44250-50090 (given to me by my local Lexus dealer).

manu date: 04/96, VIN# JT8BH22F5T0059451

I have tried many auto parts websites. Only one has given me a Maval SKU#W0133-1739762 via live chat line, but not in stock and not posted on the web page. So there is no way for me to read the description and confirm if indeed it is the right one.

Thanks,

iMaLexist

call them... and ask questions, they sell racks..

You may reach us at 1(800)880-3098 for immediate assistance