New Nav Dvd Udate

RAP

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to copy the NAV DVD? A group of us were thinking of buying one disc and making a few "off-site back-ups". Would the back-up even work?

I don't think it's possible, at least not with typical home equipment. I'm pretty sure the official DVD is a dual-layered professional grade DVD. So for the same reason, you can't make (exact) copies of movie DVDs, you can't make a copy of the nav disk.

With movies, though, the copying software "rips" the movies and reencodes it, compressing it further so it'll fit on one single-layered disk. But you can't do this with a disk full of data like the nav dvd. ie you can't fit a 9gb dual-layered disk onto a 4.7gb single-layered disk.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Any word on the 06 updtate?  I've sent a msg to lexus-parts.com but have not received a reply yet.

The new update will be out in January of 2006. The most current is 00230-DVD-04CY - V4.1

Hello, my vehicle is arriving this month, would there be the outside chance that it included the new version, or should/could I ask my dealer to spot me one next month if they could/would?

Any word on the 06 updtate?  I've sent a msg to lexus-parts.com but have not received a reply yet.

The new update will be out in January of 2006. The most current is 00230-DVD-04CY - V4.1

Hello, my vehicle is arriving this month, would there be the outside chance that it included the new version, or should/could I ask my dealer to spot me one next month if they could/would?

You can ask, but my dealer would not provide the update for free on our just-delivered RX400h.

I would think if you told the dealer the DVD or I go somewhere else to buy, you would be walking out with the new DVD and the new RX. If there profit loss margin is that close they won't be in business very long.

Jeff

You can ask, but my dealer would not provide the update for free on our just-delivered RX400h.

I wish I would have known about the new NAV before I purchased. I would have negotiated... Did they give you a price?

Does anybody know how/where to determine the version of the NAV DVD. I am picking up tommorrow and what to point out the version to the dealer, vs the versions that comes out in January. This is a hot button for me.

How much for install of the new version nav DVD? Mine current DVD doesnt have half of the developments down my neck of the woods (some of which are 3-5 years old now).

I would think if you told the dealer the DVD or I go somewhere else to buy, you would be walking out with the new DVD and the new RX. If there profit loss margin is that close they won't be in business very long.

Jeff

You were correct. I was able to negotiate the DVD as part of the Service etc.. It is stated in the contract along with the part number! I am very happy. I picked up CAR today.

Edited by jk5598224

• 2 weeks later...

So, are you guys saying the only update to the 2004 RX330 DVDs is coming out now - this January?

I think my dealer is playing games with me. Mine has serious problems, like it thinks there are 3 airports in Manhattan! I want a complete upgrade to the newest system. The dealer told me they upgraded it but I didn't see a single change. Even all my old addresses were in there. Then they said they upgraded the "address database". Whatever that means. But it still thinks there are 3 airports in Manhattan. (And that's just one of many serious problems I have with it).

So, does anyone know if it's even possible to get a full upgrade where the system is completely like the newest systems?

• 4 weeks later...

To answer the previous question, yes you can make a backup of your copy of your ( NAV ) navigation dvd. I know some people are not big believers in backups, but if I am paying up to $300 for a disc, you better believe I want to have a secondary copy. You have to use DVD Decrypter in ISO read mode to make the copy and ISO write mode to burn it. Here is the key, though, you have to have a burner that supports BOOK TYPE burning and the book type has to be set to DVD-ROM. Also, you have to have a dual layer burner since the disc is about 8GB. If your burner does not support these, your backup will not work. DVD Decrypter only allows you to enable certain brand burners (NEC, Plextor, Lite-On, Pioneer, BenQ to name a few) for BOOK TYPE burning. Nero will also do book type, but the option only appears on burners that actually support it. If you are not sure what the heck I am referring to, do a google search on "book type nero burn" or "book type dvd decrypter burn."

My main concern with the update is will I still be able to do the GPS override so the person in the passenger seat can use all the functions of the Nav while we are in motion.

For those that don't know how the GPS override is done:

1. With car on, in PARK or fully stopped, press MENU.

2. Press DVD (upper right corner)

3. There are hidden buttons on this screen. Use the fat part of you index finger not the tip for best results. In order press

a. Upper Left Corner

b. Lower Left Corner

c. Upper Left Corner

d. Lower Left Corner

e. Lower Right Corner

4. You should now see a screen with 2 columns of 4 buttons. Locate the GPS button

5. Press and hold for 5 seconds. It will beep one and then turn green

6. Press the BACK button in upper right hand corner

7. Now you can use all the NAV functions while in motion. When you turn the car off the NAV will reset to normal and you will have to do this procedure again when you restart the car.

Just wondering did anyone has the new dvd for Gen.3 2004 model, if yes, where to order and how much?? And I am interested with the group buy thing and get a copy.

Mysalesman and friend called me this week to inform me that the update for the navigation for my 2004 Rx330 is now available. I called the parts dept. and ascertained that the purchase price will be $300 + ?? for unstallation. I plan to ask the salesman to see if he can swing a discount for me (an employee discount). From the other posts, copying the DVD disks seems challenging and the disks are readily available. For this reason, Lexus can charge us hese exorbitant prices. I plan to update my navigational system once every 3 years or basically twice before I sell it.

Just wondering did anyone has the new dvd for Gen.3 2004 model, if yes, where to order and how much?? And I am interested with the group buy thing and get a copy.

Mysalesman and friend called me this week to inform me that the update for the navigation for my 2004 Rx330 is now available. I called the parts dept. and ascertained that the purchase price will be $300 + ?? for unstallation. I plan to ask the salesman to see if he can swing a discount for me (an employee discount). From the other posts, copying the DVD disks seems challenging and the disks are readily available. For this reason, Lexus can charge us hese exorbitant prices. I plan to update my navigational system once every 3 years or basically twice before I sell it.

http://lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?SubCat...D=93&ModelID=91