Transmission Cooler Installed

bicol-ini

got free time today and installed a B&M transmsiion cooler part number 70264 cost 50 bucks on my 96 LS i installed this in conjunction with the existing cooler from the radiator, while i was there and the hoses was out i also did a tranny flush, took out 8 quarts before i got to where it was like a new fluid coming out, also change my tranny filter cleaned out the the shift solenoid and pan installed a new fliter and gasket and, after everything is said and done took a test drive, hit the freeway, oh what a difference smooth shifting on all gears, cooler made a lot of difference with regards to fluid temperatrure :cheers::cheers:

a pix on the orientation and location prior to me hookin up the hoses,

post-5308-1118804566_thumb.jpg

bicol-ini,

Did you use a “real” gasket for the transmission pan or is it silicone? I’m planning to replace the transmission filter and would like to know if I can get a gasket instead of using Permatex.

Thanks

Jacob

yes you can use a gasket, in fact you can make one if you want,

for the transmission pan gasket and filter you can use a fram part # FT1191 $35, or if you want just the gasket only, its made by felpro part #OS30654C $10 from any kragen or schucks, autozone,:cheers:

correction on tranny gasket should be TOS18685,

Bicol, did you have the infamous P-->D lurch? And, if so, did the cooler and cleaning/replacement of the mentioned componets help? How long did everything take? Great work! :cheers:

Bicol, did you have the infamous P-->D lurch? And, if so, did the cooler and cleaning/replacement of the mentioned componets help? How long did everything take? Great work! :cheers:

Was there any cutting of the stock transmission lines with the cooler install ? Nice job I am thinking of putting one on my 98 GS3. :cheers:

to blake, upon start up, normally idle will be up to 14-1600 RPM, then you shift

P to D sort of it will have a thump of sort, jerk or whatever term you might describe, also cruising around 30 40 mph a usual jerk in my case,

so i went ahead order my cooler and tranny kit, like i said drain, replaced filter clean my solenoid, that in conjunction with insatalling the cooler now it does make a big difference none of the lurch jerk even at start up with idle of 1600, total time start to finish tranny flush clean out pan, filter, take out and clean out solenoid, about 6 hours then again am working alone and its my car, so taking it easy,

dc fish no cutting of transmision line just take out the return hose from the radiator then this will be your inlet to your cooler then out the other end back to the original return line, easy job took me an hour,

blake attached is the solenoid pix its that two bottom cylinder,

on the right lower part of the photo,

post-5308-1118813199_thumb.jpg

:cheers:

Wow- what a great job. I've been having some issues with my 98 lurching a little and being a little stubborn to shift first thing in the morning. Would a tranny flush fix this problem and if so how do you do it? Would you also recommend a tranny cooler for this problem? Please let me know. Thanks. :)

stever, tranny flush would be a good idea, these transmission and most of the new engines these days are controlled by relays or solenoid to activate things up, so these could be culprit in your case cleaning it up since it can clogged by fine debris in the fluid, a good maintenance, gone are the days in which all trannys engines are all manual no electronics take for instance my 81 celica gt with 22r auto, pushing 438000 miles on original engine tranny and diff, but any car will last long as long maintenance is folled and the problem corrected, with regard to the cooler in your case your lurch will not be helped by the cooler since at start up your engine is cold, i installed as an added item to prolong much the life on my tranny,

lsrxlex

on my second pix its the right lower cylindrical object connected by wires, also a good manual is helpefull if you have access to one ill see if i can post one

hi, my magnefine filter arrive yesterday so i installed it asap on the return line to the tranny( this coming from the outlet of my new cooler) filter good for 60000mi asmall investment for tranny life (50$ cooler 20$filter) i could have go for a spin on filter but its so big no space to put on unlike on my sequoia :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

hi jacob sorry for the wrong info i got mixed up with the numbers the one i gave you earlier was for the oil pan gasket in which i did also the correct tranny gasket part number is TOS18685 by felpro, again am sorry

I'm a little confused about the routing of the rubber transmission hoses. Did you bypass the transmission fluid cooler built into the car's radiator? If not, then it seems to me your would have had to buy more hose. If so, where did you buy the hose?

Also, I'm curious to know if your '81 Celica with 430,000 troublefree miles has the 3-speed A40 transmission or the 4-speed A43D transmission? Thanks

Hi bicol-ini,

Are you saying that the part number you gave me in the beginning is for the engine's oil pan?

Thanks

yeah im pretty sure thats what he means because i have the same part number for the tranny gasket T0S18685

Hi bicol-ini,

Are you saying that the part number you gave me in the beginning is for the engine's oil pan?

Thanks

hi jacob sorry about that yes thats for the oil pan gasket, in which i did also, as for the tranny pan gasket like i said it should be TOS18685, its not cork its the fibrous type (black color much better than cork)

since you got the oil pan gasket might as well do it if its showing some sign of leakage around the pan :cheers:

I'm a little confused about the routing of the rubber transmission hoses. Did you bypass the transmission fluid cooler built into the car's radiator?  If not, then it seems to me your would have had to buy more hose. If so, where did you buy the hose?

Also, I'm curious to know if your '81 Celica with 430,000 troublefree miles has the 3-speed A40 transmission or the 4-speed A43D transmission?  Thanks

hi monarch no i did not bypass the radiator cooler, i used it with in conjunction with the radiator cooler, the supplied hose 4.5 feet was more than enough, it depends on the routing that you take if you need more, just go to a hose shop or any auto store they carry it 3/8" ID with at least 300psi rating,

on the celica its an auto tranny A40D, this was the first time they used this on the celica from what i know these has the overdrive in it much like the once on the earlier cressida and supra and corrolla also used this tranny, this is just the same as the A40 without the overdrive gear hopes this helps :cheers:

Hi bicol-ini,

Thanks

hi jacob sorry about that yes thats for the oil pan gasket, in which i did also, as for the tranny pan gasket like i said it should be TOS18685, its not cork its the fibrous type (black color much better than cork)

since you got the oil pan gasket might as well do it if its showing some sign of leakage around the pan :cheers:

That’s why I’m asking; my engine oil pan is leaking so I thought I’d use the gasket to fix it. Did you use any kind of sealant along with the gasket? Or was it the gasket by itself?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Best thing I ever did for my tranny, I drain and fill the tranny @ every oil change and it runs red. Just the way I like it.:cheers:

Thanks again Bicol-lni :cheers: Muchos Grasias Senor..........I reccomend all owners do this simple and inexpensive upgrade. ;)