Fog Lights?

I replaced the stock H3 fogs with PIAA Xtreme Whites in my 02 ES. Only to replace those with the Ion Crystals (I like the look or the yellow better). The Xtreme whites give the fog almost the same blue tint as the HID setup. The 99 ES may be similar.

1. Rasie the car and support with two jackstands. Never trust the jack alone.

2. Remove the bolts that hold the black plastic shield(s). (the 02 had 5 10mm bolts along the underside of the bumper.

3. The black plastic push pins come next. There where about 10-12. The 02 ES had 2 sections. I removed all but one push pin for each section. This way I could rotate the shield out of the way of the back of the fog light and get my head up in there. The shield was still attached so realignment took seconds.

4. The push pins could be removed carefully OR with a large screw driver and a Ford Wrench (big f....n hammer). Just knock the head off them. I actually used a large screwdriver and pryed them out. They will make a pop and fall out. The 02 had pins that break upon removal. Don't worry, they are cheap.

5. The back of the fog light has a plactic cover that will turn 90 degrees and then pull out. Don't pull to far cause it is connected by two wires. One is the switch and one is the power to the bulb.

6. The white wire (for the stock and PIAAs) is the bulb wire, it pulls out from the housing unit with a little tug.

7. There is a spring clip that you push in and at the same time move to one side, then it pulls toward the back, releasing pressure on the bulb. Hold the bulb from the back. Pull it out slowly and orient yourself with the cut-outs on the ground plate of the bulb. One side had a square notch and opposite that was a half moon notch. Remeber which is up and which is down, or left and right. The exiting bulb is your guide for insertion of the new bulb.

8. Insert the new buld in the same orientation, put the spring clip back, plug in the wire, replace the black cover and move to the other fog light. DON'T TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR BARE FINGER. Body oils will create hot spots on the glass and the crack or burn out quicker.

9. The other fog light interesting enough was the same, but the spring clip and wire were opposite and upside down from the first side. My guess is that Lexus makes one housing and uses it on both sides, thus making a mirror image.

10. Turn on your lights to see if you connected them right.

11. Stand back and admire your work.

12. Get back under the car and reposition the shields. Put the bolts in but not tight all the way.

13. Replace the push pins with new ones (Lexus parts department if you want original) or AutoZone for a bag of push pins--usually a bag of 10 costs about $3.00. The push pins come in many sizes and varieties. Bring one of the popped originals with you to size correctly. The christmas tree type can be used several times before the multitude of tiny barbs are too weak.

12. Tighten the bolts, lower the car. Drive to friend's house and show them what you did. Enjoy the rest of your day.

This took me about 45 minutes. I didn't raise the car, so it was a bit tight but do-able. My car is stock and not lowered, so it was a little easier to get my head and arms up under the front.

The PIAAs were $63.99/pr. They are a 55w buld but emit the equivalent of a 110w. Replace the bulb with the same wattage (check your manual). There ain't much room in the housings for more heat.

Good luck and have fun.

sj