Just Drove A New Gs300 Awd!

Well, after reading the thread below about the member that just took delivery of his new GS430, I decided I would saunter on down to the Lexus dealer and take a new GS for a spin. I drove it on a test loop, followed by a new LS430, and followed by my ES300, all the same loop. Overall I was impressed with the car, but it didn't blow my socks off. The car I drove was a fully loaded GS300 AWD with nav, the new ML DVD Surround stereo with an MSRP of just over $51,000 (yikes).

EXTERIOR

The exterior of the new GS is very clean, definately more attractive than the aging body of its predecessor. It is very smooth and italian looking, and I feel it looks like a Lexus. If this is the future of Lexus styling, I'm happy. The car definately is more attractive in person than in photos as I knew it would be, and it doesn't look anything like an Avalon.

One thing that really struck me is how small the car is. Its about the same height as an ES, but its at least 4 inches shorter and a couple inches narrower with a sportier stance. Its absolutely dwarfed by the LS430. The car I drove was as loaded as a 300 comes, and it had the 17s with runflat Dunlops we've all seen. It was Matador Red with a Cashmere interior.

INTERIOR and ELECTRONICS

I like the syling of the interior as I did the quality for the most part. There were some rough edged and thinner plastics around the radio face than I'm used to in a Lexus, and sadly the interior colored rearview mirror is replaced by a black one that is made of pretty shoddy plastics. I'd say the plastics in these areas were lower quality than those found on my ES and certainly on the LS, dissapointing. I also have to say I prefer the styling of the LS and ES with the wood high on the door and dash panels, feels more luxurious to me having the wood in your sightlines as you look around the car. The leather is top notch and the seats are amazingly supportive, the lack of support in the LS was immediately apparent after driving the GS, as it was in the ES but to a lesser degree. I love the styling of the center console with the consealed seat warmer ECT switches under the sliding armrest and the concealed mirror and instrument panel buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. Makes for a much cleaner look. All the lighting is LED and it casts a cool HIDish glow over the interior. Better light staging than on the ES or LS, opening the door to the GS at night is an event it is very, very cool.

Space in the rear is no better than my ES which is as I feared, and the LS has 5-6 inches on both of them. With the drivers seat positioned like I like it my knees touched the seat in the ES and GS, but I could cross my legs in the LS. Not a big deal for most people, but this alone will keep me out of a GS as I need the car to carry clients as a Realtor. The trunk is also much smaller than the trunk on the ES or on the LS.

The new gauges are AWESOME, Lexus did such a nice job with them. They really needed to do something as all carmakers have optitron gauges now, and they did. They look very high tech and very expensive. The readouts under the gauges are also much improved. The gauges have 7 different settings and they change automatically depending on the ambient light. All the buttons have a nicely damped feel and operate silently.

Stereo/Nav.

Well, I'm dissapointed in the nav screen. Yes it may be big, but its lower resolution than the one found on my ES and the LS and graphics and backgrounds appear granier. The screen is also positioned in such a way that having the shade pulled back on the moonroof glares on the screen and it cannot be adjusted like on my ES, nor is it inset like on the LS. I also wasn't blown away by the new DVD ML system, the surrpound feature sounded good but it doesn't really sound any better than the ML system in my ES, and I liked the ML in the LS better.

RIDE and DRIVE

Lexus did a great job on the suspension on the GS. Its taut with very little dive when braking or lean in the corners yet it is also very smooth and refined. It drives very much like a BMW now, with a lot of confidence that the ES and LS blatantly dont have and a tauter overall feel. The engine is very responsive and smooth, I would bet the 430 is an absolute screamer. Nicely damped gas and brake pedals, definately a better driver than the previous GS that I wasn't impressed at all with. The runflats were surprisingly smooth and only let you know what they actually are over expansion joints, they'd be the first thing to go for normal tires though.

Overall I'm very impressed with the GS, Lexus did a great job with this car not only in form and function but in the engineering of the suspension also, a great drivers car. My only complaints are the rediculously small trunk and the small quality foibles some places that shouldn't be there on such an expensive car. I won't be buying one, but thats because the size of the car doesn't fit my needs not because of any fault.

A very thorough and good post. :) I love the new styling of the GS overall, but the first thing I noticed about it was the plastic around the nav screen area did look a bit on the "cheap" side. Quite surprising to see that in Lexus. It makes up in several other areas though. Does anyone know the power distribution on the AWD GS? Is it 40% front 60% rear?

Oddly enough its not the silver plastic around the nav screen thats cheap, its the actual plastic that makes up the area around the cassete player etc that is rather cheap.

I'm not sure about the power distribution, my guess is its at least 40/60 F/R if not more rear biased than that. Let me tell you, RWD Lexus vehicles are downright dangerous in the snow without snow tires, especially with the low profile tires Lexus uses now. AWD is a huge step for these guys.

Oddly enough its not the silver plastic around the nav screen thats cheap, its the actual plastic that makes up the area around the cassete player etc that is rather cheap.

I'm not sure about the power distribution, my guess is its at least 40/60 F/R if not more rear biased than that. Let me tell you, RWD Lexus vehicles are downright dangerous in the snow without snow tires, especially with the low profile tires Lexus uses now. AWD is a huge step for these guys.

Ya I should clarify my previous post, the plastic in cassette area like you said Steve is what looks a bit on the cheap side. The silver plastic around the nav screen looks out of place in my eyes. Wish they put wood trim there instead or have it black like the rest of the plastic for visual purposes. In any case the interior is still really good looking, especially the gauge area, a great improvement over the last generation.

It's a good thing that Lexus offers AWD now especially since competitors are offering AWD on their vehicles too.

Actually in person the silver looks good. They're starting to throw in a little more flair in their interiors which is good when so many companies are imitating their design characteristics.

I am still in awe that they finally put a tunk release button on the trunk lid as well.

I liked the woods but i would prefer a nice blackwood or ( as i am liek that) a brushed aluminum since carbon fiber on this level of vehicle woudl be out of place.

Here it is:

clublex_8.jpg

That reminds me, one thing I really didnt like was the drivers footroom. Theres a weird hump on the side of the transmission tunnel that eats into room for your right foot, very strange.

I think it probably has to do with people listening to books on tape. They're finally getting away from it, the 04+ ES doesn't have a tape deck.

My guess is they've heard at focus groups people complaining that nobody has tape decks anymore, so they continue to include them.

Here it is:

clublex_8.jpg

That reminds me, one thing I really didnt like was the drivers footroom. Theres a weird hump on the side of the transmission tunnel that eats into room for your right foot, very strange.

what year is this in the picture? Is it a gs300, 400 or 430?

I like that picture.

It almost looks like an old time black and white photo until you see the red light on the dash and the color looking out the windshield.

Kind of a cool optical effect, I think. But, people have told me I'm a little off anyway.

Tom

Anyone know how the gauge clusters look not on? Does it have the tinted plastic over it giving it a black appearance until the gauges are lit? or is it like the sc and Is models, without the tinted film?

Just wondering if they did away with this technology...

LexKid- Thats a new one, I believe its a 300AWD.

As for the gauges, they are different than the normal optitron gauges, the facing is a machined alluminum and when the car is off you can faintly make it out in the gauge housing, the numbers and needles aren't illuminated until the vehicle is started.

I was just asking about the gauges, because on my wifes 03 gs when they are in direct sunlight it is extremely hard to see the numbers etc through the tinted plastic. Especially when the moonroof is open, all the driver can see is the reflection of the sun, like a mirror. Almsot hurts your eyes. I thought it was about time to move on to something a little less "cool" and a little more towards working correctly without an inconvenience. The gauges on the 03 gs do look cool at night with the light green backglow with black numbers. Sort of lights up the whole cabin, yet a distaraction when trying to focus on the road. And overall, i like the white numbers better than any other color.

Yeah I've never cared for the gauges on the 98-05 GS where the whole background lights up, the normal optitron gauges found on all the other Lexus models where just the numerals and needles light up are much easier to read and better looking if you ask me. The new GS' gauges are better in this respect I think.

I was at the Lexus dealer having my car serviced and I was able to see the GS300 RWD in person. It does look even better in person. I love the seats and Steve you're right, the chrome accent around the navigation isn't so bad (still prefer wood though). I was disappointed to find that the trunk of the new GS got smaller than the last generation though. It lost around 1 cu foot if I'm not mistaken. Overall a very desirable car. Hopefully I can find 45 grand laying around, lol. :D

I am really excited to test drive the new 06 gs. I was at my dealer today and didn't see any around. I wonder when they'll start selling them here in rhode island. Maybe i just missed them. Trying to sell my wifes 03 gs.

If you say that the leg room and trunk room is small it probably wouldn't exceed my wife's needs. She does a LOT of traveling as i do and it's very uncomfortable to travel hours at a time in a cramped car. She likes the 03 gs because it's very roomy, and not as much of a gas eater as the LS. I'll have to check the new gs out very soon. :)

The new one is at least as big as the old one, I don't think it gained any space but I don't feel it lost any space either. I would be comfortable in it, I dont think its cramped its just too small in the rear to use carting customers around all day looking at houses. Like my ES the space is fine up front.

As for the trunk, the trunk IS small but its probably again the same as the outgoing car. The reason it looks smaller is because Lexus is doing cubbies on both sides of the trunk wall now like BMW, makes the trunk area squarer.