Cabin Filter Replacement

1lola1

Hi all. Since Lexus is advising that I change the cabin filter in my '03 ES every 5,000 miles, I decided I'm going to try and do this myself. The guy at Lexus told me to spray Lysol in there when I take the old one out, but he didn't explain exactly where it is and how to do it. I think it's near the glove box? If someone could provide me with some basic instructions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx.:)

I think in the newer model es300/330s it's behind the glove box, but I actually just installed mine in my 97 ES. When I opened the compartment (Not a day in the park to get to) there were no filters in there! I was hoping for some instant gratification seeing the old dirty part, but this seemed to be the first time one was installed there.

Hi all.  Since Lexus is advising that I change the cabin filter in my '03 ES every 5,000 miles, I decided I'm going to try and do this myself.  The guy at Lexus told me to spray Lysol in there when I take the old one out, but he didn't explain exactly where it is and how to do it.  I think it's near the glove box?  If someone could provide me with some basic instructions, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanx.:)

RTFM!!!!!

The filter replacement is the easiest DIY project and takes less than 5 minutes.

It is all covered in your owners manual WITH pictures. Look in the index under Air conditioning filter. (Page 167-168 in the 2002 ES Manual.)

I change it once a year.

Don't be surprised if the new filter emits a slight and distinct odor (but clean odor) too. They are not the same filters that were sold in 2003. I think the manufacturer changed when Toyota changed oil filter manufacturers. They have less charcol and are not as sturdy as the original ones. On the positive side, they are half the price they were sold for in 2003 also.

steviej

RTFM!!!!!

The filter replacement is the easiest DIY project and takes less than 5 minutes.

It is all covered in your owners manual WITH pictures. Look in the index under Air conditioning filter. (Page 167-168 in the 2002 ES Manual.)

I change it once a year.

Don't be surprised if the new filter emits a slight and distinct odor (but clean odor) too. They are not the same filters that were sold in 2003. I think the manufacturer changed when Toyota changed oil filter manufacturers. They have less charcol and are not as sturdy as the original ones. On the positive side, they are half the price they were sold for in 2003 also.

steviej

Wow. Why only 5 exlcamation points after the all caps RTFM? Shouldn't you have maybe used 12 to try and make me look like an idiot? It's true, my graduate degree is not in automobile mechanics, so perhaps I'm just a "dumb girl" when it comes to cars. However, when someone asks me a question pertaining to law, no matter how rudimentary the question may be, I don't treat that person like a fool. In attempt not to burden "Your Highness" with such banal questions, I won't return to the site. I would like to point out that according to the replies I got, several others did not know where the filter was either.

Wow.  Why only 5 exlcamation points after the all caps RTFM?  Shouldn't you have maybe used 12 to try and make me look like an idiot?  It's true, my graduate degree is not in automobile mechanics, so perhaps I'm just a "dumb girl" when it comes to cars.  However, when someone asks me a question pertaining to law, no matter how rudimentary the question may be, I don't treat that person like a fool.  In attempt not to burden "Your Highness" with such banal questions, I won't return to the site.  I would like to point out that according to the replies I got, several others did not know where the filter was either.

1lola1 you need to chill out.

First, I was not intending to make you out to be an idiot. Maybe a few smiley faces after the last ! would have revealed my sarcasm better. However, I must add, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people that ask questions about things that are clearly laid out in the owners manual. You say you have a graduate degree, well then I am sure you are accustomed to reading.

Second, no one said you were a "dumb girl" when it comes to cars. You typed that. I have no idea that you are a woman. I draw no conclusions from screen names, nor do I go back to previous posts to research whether I am talking to a male or female. To me it matters not.

Third, thank you for the "Your Highness", but I have seen that job and I don't want it.

Fourth, think twice about giving up on a site that is a wealth of information you might want to resourse in the future because we had a misunderstanding. But, again, your leaving will be your decision.

Lastly, I am not surprised that the several members that replied were unaware of the location. This is expected as they own 1998, 1997 and 1992 ES's respectively. On the pre-2002 model ES, the cabin filters are/were ellusive and not much was ever written to make people aware of them. The owners manuals for those models barely mentioned them and most owners don't even know where it goes. Many owners don't even have filters in there now.

Regards,

steviej

As you knows, i have 97 ES300. I saw pictures of removing glove comp.

In 97 i can't find any screws as pictures shows.

please guide me.

camlex, the pictures you see are for 2002-2005 ES's.

Your filters are not behind your glove compartment. pre-2002 ES's have the filters installed up under the dash to the right of the gas pedal. you have to pull the carpeting back to get at them.

If you search on cabin filter, you will find a slew of threads discussing removal and/or replacement for pre-2002 models.

steviej

It's always easy when you know things.....

As you knows, i have 97 ES300. I saw pictures of removing glove comp.

In 97 i can't find any screws as pictures shows.

please guide me.

Thanks,

are you trying to replace your cabin air filter? if so, i believe pre-2002 ES filter is not behind the glove compartment but instead behind the carpeting to the right of the gas peddle:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...in++air++filter

post-13460-1108269302_thumb.jpg

RTFM!!!!!

It is all covered in your owners manual WITH pictures.  Look in the index under Air conditioning filter.  (Page 167-168 in the 2002 ES Manual.)

I change it once a year. 

Don't be surprised if the new filter emits a slight and distinct odor (but clean odor) too.  They are not the same filters that were sold in 2003.  I think the manufacturer changed when Toyota changed oil filter manufacturers.  They have less charcol and are not as sturdy as the original ones.  On the positive side, they are half the price they were sold for in 2003 also.

steviej

Wow.  Why only 5 exlcamation points after the all caps RTFM?  Shouldn't you have maybe used 12 to try and make me look like an idiot?  It's true, my graduate degree is not in automobile mechanics, so perhaps I'm just a "dumb girl" when it comes to cars.  However, when someone asks me a question pertaining to law, no matter how rudimentary the question may be, I don't treat that person like a fool.  In attempt not to burden "Your Highness" with such banal questions, I won't return to the site.  I would like to point out that according to the replies I got, several others did not know where the filter was either.

When and if you return, please attempt to learn to use the quote feature. It ain't rocket science.

RTFM!!!!!

It is all covered in your owners manual WITH pictures.  Look in the index under Air conditioning filter.  (Page 167-168 in the 2002 ES Manual.)

I change it once a year. 

Don't be surprised if the new filter emits a slight and distinct odor (but clean odor) too.  They are not the same filters that were sold in 2003.  I think the manufacturer changed when Toyota changed oil filter manufacturers.  They have less charcol and are not as sturdy as the original ones.  On the positive side, they are half the price they were sold for in 2003 also.

steviej

When and if you return, please attempt to learn to use the quote feature. It ain't rocket science.

thank you.

finally i know the place of filter. surprize!! there is no filter at present time.

I put my finger in check no filter. area was wet. try my best to clean.

question:

what is the size? because when i was talking with dealer he was telling me 10"X12"

no way it will go in. opening on that slot is 1" wide and 4"-4.5"

If you have 97 ES 300 please let me know the size.

Thanks,

thank you.

finally i know the place of filter. surprize!! there is no filter at present time.

I put my finger in check no filter. area was wet. try my best to clean.

question:

what is the size? because when i was talking with dealer he was telling me 10"X12"

no way it will go in. opening on that slot is 1" wide and 4"-4.5"

If you have 97 ES 300 please let me know the size.

Thanks,

It's a big filter because it goes in as two pieces (Well, really 4 pieces, but pairs are stuck together) You slide the first two in and then push them up into the slot, then once it is all the way up inside you can slide in the other half underneath it and close it all up.

Like I said in the previous post, the cabin filter was optional on the ES until 2002 when they started to have that as standard equipment. I called my dealer last week and asked how much a cabin filter would cost for my '92 ES and he said $60. Needless to say I'm not going to get it anytime soon. As far as water being where the filter is because of the moisture in the air and whenever you use the a/c even more moisture accumulates in the vents and the moisture condenses into water. Hence the reason why you smell mold or mildew coming from the vents.

Hello,

I asked Lexus dealer for cabin filter (97 ES300),their price was $69 I called Oreally to see wix makes cabin filter for my car. How lucky i am? Wix part# 24895 price $25.99

I bought from them installed, Project finished.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

Hello,

I asked Lexus dealer for cabin filter (97 ES300),their price was $69 I called Oreally to see wix makes cabin filter for my car. How lucky i am? Wix part# 24895 price $25.99

I bought from them installed, Project finished.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

I installed a DENSO #453-1002 in my 98 last week. Cost was $33.XX.