Brakes And Rotors

FrkSho311

I've got an 2001 IS300 with 37K. The brakes work excellent but if I don't drive the vehicle for a day or so, the condensation makes rotors rust colored. Once driven the rust comes off but it does not look good. The hub is rust colored and that just remains that way. Has anyone else encountered this and what did you do about it?

welcome to toyota/lexus hubs.

the surface oxidation on the rotors comes off with the first application of the brake pads.

the hubs can be painted. I did mine in the garage but it takes 24 hours (2 hours of work and 22 hours to dry solid).

But the rust is gone.

before:

gallery_688_27_1099606438.jpg

after:

gallery_688_27_1099606480.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT:

gallery_688_27_1099606510.jpg

steviej

give me a shout if you want more info.

• 3 months later...

wow thats some pretty bad rust.

Do your brakes make a grinding sound when you start driving the car? Mine does after I leave it outside for a day or so in colder weather.

My rust mostly occurs where the brakes touch the rotors, I think.

Its the part of the rotor in the before picture w/o rust where I have my rust.

• 4 weeks later...

:cheers: INCREDIBLE PRODUCT!! I just used the Rust-Bullet product on my 2002 IS and WOW what a difference!! Now I'm looking for other places to seal under the car. Thanks for the great info on this post.

Sincerely,

Ken

:cheers: INCREDIBLE PRODUCT!!  I just used the Rust-Bullet product on my 2002 IS and WOW what a difference!!  Now I'm looking for other places to seal under the car.  Thanks for the great info on this post.

Sincerely,

Ken

:cheers: :D

I also used it on the rear axles. Worked really well. Everything I've put it on still looks good.

• 6 months later...

Well, I didn't get your post until after I "Wire Wheeled" the calipers and hubs down to a shinny finish. Got all of the rust GONE and immediately sealed the hubs with the Rust Bullet I had left. For the calipers I'm using the Silver G2. I'll post a pic when I complete the job. Thanks again for your response.

Ken

So far so good on the results. Question though. Did the color of the rust bullet product change at all over the 11 months you've had it? Being here in FL with the sun as hot as it is, my painted rotors turned a faded grey and boy did it start flaking off when I hit it with a pressure washer. Anyhow, here's my latest repaint. I'll post later if it goes bad a second time.

Ken

post-17673-1133488173_thumb.jpg