Lost Master Key While Snowboarding

i lost my master key (one with the 3 buttons) today. :censored:

i do have the "valet key" (one without buttons)... but it does not open the trunk nor the glove compartment lock.

how do i go about getting a replacement for it? (its for a '99 gs300)

i did try calling a "locksmith" company and according to them it would cost me about $1500~ $2000 to replace it at the dealer, is that true?? (i prolly wont be able to afford this for years...) :cries:

is there a cheaper way?

can it be replaced w/ some after-market alarm products??

any help would be appreciated.... thanks in advance

Well, the price is in the $250.00 range for the key. The rest of what's involved, ECU replacement, labor, etc. is whatever your dealer is willing to do for you. I recommend you get 2 Master keys. You need a master to make any other keys. Keep one in the safe.

If you SEARCH these forums, you will find all the info you'd ever want about keys.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes unfortunatly for a pre 2001 GS if you don't have a master key you cannot program another one so the ECU has to be replaced.

I heard that lexus sometimes pays for the ECU under a one-time "good will" thing they have going, but you have to pay for the key, great deal if you ask me. Try and haggle with your Dealership.

Unfortunately without the master key the entire car must be re-keyed and the ECU must be replaced. No way around it, thats how the system is designed.

pardon me, but that seems to be the stupidest design ever. what would be the point of that?? anti theft??

I for one, see no reason to re-key the car. Keys ordered for the VIN will work the doors, trunk, ignition lock, etc. The problem exists in the computer which requires a working master key to enable programming mode. This is the ultimate antitheft, as far as unauthorized key duplication is concerned. If you have no MASTER key, you won't be making any key that will start the car. The very purpose of the valet key is not only limiting access to the trunk, fuel, and glove box but also to not allow copies to be made from this key.

• 2 months later...

I am experiencing a similiar issue.

I have 1998 ES300 and only one key. The key has a black Lexus head. Does this indicate that the key is a 'master key'. The key is able to open the trunk, glove box, doors and start the car. However, when I went to the Lexus dealership to make a copy of the key they had trouble programming the new key. They could not program it to a master or valet. So now I have an additional key that can do all but start the car.

I truely believe the key I have is a master key but how do I find out for certain????

I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction. Discovered that Lexus has an Immobilizer Replacement Program. They replace the ECU unit for free. All I am accountable for is the purchase of the new key and labor of installing the ECU ~ totaling $150. Not bad considering the ECU unit retails for over $1k.

Key Note:

* Your car does NOT have to be under warranty.

* They will provide only one ECU replacement per vehicle. (They Ask for VIN)

* You may take your car to any Lexus Dealer.

If any of you are interested contact Lexus Corporate: 800 255 3987, Customer Satisfaction.

FYI- Be courteous and polite with the Lexus representative.

Simple to replace:

1. Buy new blank master key with 3 buttons (E-Bay?)

2. Take to locksmith

3. Have locksmith duplicate using valet key as guide

4. Follow correct 'magic' sequence which locksmith can describe to you to add new key to existing controller.

5. New 3 button key works. It still won't open the trunk or the glove compartment any better then the valet key, but you won't have to replace the controller either.

i lost my master key (one with the 3 buttons) today.  :censored:

i do have the "valet key" (one without buttons)... but it does not open the trunk nor the glove compartment lock.

how do i go about getting a replacement for it? (its for a '99 gs300)

i did try calling a "locksmith" company and according to them it would cost me about $1500~ $2000 to replace it at the dealer, is that true?? (i prolly wont be able to afford this for years...)  :cries:

is there a cheaper way?

can it be replaced w/ some after-market alarm products??

any help would be appreciated....  thanks in advance

The dealer attempted to program the new cut 'master key' as a valet key but failed. I am going to take it to another Lexus dealer. If that fails, then I am going with a new ECU. My one and only key that works has a black head and is able to open the trunk, glove box and start the engine. This should be a master key right? For some reason the tool is reading it as a valet key and since its a valet key, the dealer is unable to program a new key.

The dealer attempted to program the new cut 'master key' as a valet key but failed.  I am going to take it to another Lexus dealer.  If that fails, then I am going with a new ECU.  My one and only key that works has a black head and is able to open the trunk, glove box and start the engine.  This should be a master key right?  For some reason the tool is reading it as a valet key and since its a valet key, the dealer is unable to program a new key.

Uhm not the tool, the ECU of the car. You still don't understand, do you. The CAR will NOT allow ANY FURTHER new keys to be programmed to start it IF it doesn't see the MASTER key first. <_<

I understand. I believe I have a working master key. My key has all functionalities which leads me to the conclusion that it is a master key. However, the computer rejected the programming of a new master key that I had ordered at the dealership. the ECU has rejected the request multiple times.

Remember, the ECU will remember previous keys programmed to the system. Much like the ford transponder systems. This will allow previous keys programmed to the system to ACT as the MASTER key would. However, the system will not allow any NEW keys to be programmed to start the car unless you have the Master key. Now do you understand? <_<

Another thing to note, sorry for the rehashing.

There is a physical difference in the cuts of a master key verses a valet key. This is why the valet will not open the trunk or glovebox. It has not a thing to do with the programming.

Both types of key are also programmed as a master or a valet. The only purpose for being able to program a key as a valet is so that someone having the valet cannot make a copy of the key which will start the car.

The case here, your "master" key blank is programmed as a valet. As others have already mentioned, you will not be able to use it to program any additional keys.

You will need the ECU replacement (beg, beg, beg your dealer) or else you can sniff around the black market to find a "locksmith" that has the ability of erase the ECU in the car and make all new keys. I have seen references to this being possible, but I do not recall where at this moment.

• 3 months later...

Hi Melhadri,

Great that I got re-directed to this right thread by you. Before calling Lexus, I would like to get some more information from you. I would greatly appreciate your valuable info, as I can save $$$$$ and make my car safer. My financial situation is same as your's. I recently bought this used car (1998 Lexus ES300), I don't have factory/extended warranty. So, I can no way spend $$$ for ever.

What did you tell to Lexus, for them to come back and voluntarily disclose that they have this program and they can offer you the ECU for free? B'coz I believe I have the same problem. Currently, my security alarm system doesn't work and I am locking the steering wheel using a club. I don't have the master key for this car. I just have the Valey Transponder key. But, this one opens, my door, trunk, and starts/stops the engine. I am using it right now to drive my car. So, I just want to make sure that what is have is not the Master Key.

Also, my drive side door power lock doesn't un-lock the door. It only locks the door. Due to this reason, I had to use my key to lock and unlock the door from outside. My lexus dealer told me that the security alarm and power locks are tied to the central ECU. Since, the security system doesn't recognize that it's been locked ( as I am only using the key and not the power lock switch ), it doesn't bother to set off the alarm, if I try to open the car. He suggested that replacing the ECU might help solve all the problems.

So, please please, help me, how I should approach the lexus rep...an so on and so forth...