Single Turbo Or 2jzgte Engine Conversion...

The six speed gives a little more gear, and handles more power to a point. The stock 5 speed will eventually poopy it's pants sooner or later depending on driving habits.

no no, you misunderstand my question. Let me clarify.

I meant, What has to change in doing the swap with an automatic, rather than with a 5spd? Something has to, or powerhouse wouldn't turn down doign the autos as well if the swap for a 5spd and auto were the exact same.

phatmonkey:

A little confused. Are you referring to the "Modified 6spd shifter assembly" or are you referring to something else?

If that's the case, I believe if you try to shift out the Auto or even the 5speed on the SC300, you have to modify some of the pipes and a couple of angled descents towards the limited slip rear diffential.

You also mentioned, "This is a question I'm highly interested in hearing an answer to as well! Powerhouse says the conversion FROM THEM is only available for 5spds. I e-mailed concerning the reasoning for this, but they didn't respond.

I would love a final answer as to if the swap can be done on autos (obviously anything is possible, but is it feasible?)"

GOOD TOPIC. I believe the Auto is possible. I know the 99 Japanese GTE Supras came with a 5speed AUTO, so why couldn't this one.

phatmonkey:

A little confused. Are you referring to the "Modified 6spd shifter assembly" or are you referring to something else?

If that's the case, I believe if you try to shift out the Auto or even the 5speed on the SC300, you have to modify some of the pipes and a couple of angled descents towards the limited slip rear diffential.

You also mentioned, "This is a question I'm highly interested in hearing an answer to as well! Powerhouse says the conversion FROM THEM is only available for 5spds. I e-mailed concerning the reasoning for this, but they didn't respond.

I would love a final answer as to if the swap can be done on autos (obviously anything is possible, but is it feasible?)"

GOOD TOPIC. I believe the Auto is possible. I know the 99 Japanese GTE Supras came with a 5speed AUTO, so why couldn't this one.

Let me try speaking English one more time - it shouldn't be so hard since it's the only language I speak :)

I want to take an auto Sc300 and swap to a 2jzgte + 6spMT. Now I would assume this is no problem, in fact, it has been done by Clint,as I posted above.

Powerhouse makes no mention of doing said swap, they simply state that the swap is not available on Automatics. Now, I guess they are talking primarily 2jzgte with the stock auto. I personally can't imagine doing anything but 2jzgte+6spMT.

I want to know what, if any, difference there is in putting in a 2jzgte+6spMT into a sc300 that is has an existing automatic transmission, and an existing 5spd.

The ONLY person I have seen clear admittance that their car was an auto before the swap is Clint.

Everyone else was either a 5spd, or they left the existing 5spd.

Pulling a trans and engine is no problem for me. Soldering a harness is no problem for me. I'm simply just looking for any difference that may be unknown to me about these specific cars :) I have access to dealer auctions where I can get a relatively inexpensive sc300, I can get a supra front clip for ~5000, and from my readings should be able to complete the swap with about 1000 or so in additional parts (notably a fresh supra harness if the one on the clip is butchered, as they usually are. And a custom exhaust.)

I can easily find an auto sc300 at auction - finding a 5spd there is 10 times as difficult as finding anywhere else, which is already a daunting task. If the entire 2jzgte+6spdMT swap is identical on either a manual or auto, I'm in business :) And I won't be spending 15,000 to have it done. The last thing I want is to get the car ripped down, only to find that things are different with the stock auto and stock manual (besides the actual trans itself :P )

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/sc3002.shtml

Lexus SC300 2002 Product Catalog

Lexus SC300 Twin Turbo 2JZGTE Conversion.  PHR was the first tuning facility in the world that was able to successfully install the 2JZGTE and Getrag six speed transmission into the Lexus SC300 platform.  All OEM functions still operate such as AC, PS, Cruise, and ABS.  The TT conversion adds a new level of performance to an otherwise sporty sedan, however, this conversion is much more complex than the NA Supra and will usually take longer to complete.  When complete, PHR is able to deliver a 450 Horsepower (standard) Lexus SC300 to the customer while still retaining the comfort and conveniences that make Lexus a worldwide We can also offer front mount intercooler upgrades as well as custom exhaust systems beyond what is included, these details can be worked out when contacting us with your specific needs.  The six speed conversion is available for the five speed manual transmission Lexus SC300 only.

Pictured above is the infamous TurboImports.com 783rwhp SC300 owned by Clint Pohler. Clint's SC was the first full conversion ever completed in North America, and it was all done right here at Powerhouse Racing. Don't be fooled by our imitators claiming to know how to successfully complete a swap, demand proof!  Price:  Engine Conversion $10,500.00 including parts and labor.  Six Speed Manual Transmission Conversion $5,000.00 Additional, including parts and labor. 

:( :wacko:

phatmonkey:

Powerhouse sent me a reply concerning what you are talking about :)

we do perform the swap on the automatic version, but you have to purchase the GTE automatic transmission, flexplate, converter, etc when doing the swap also.  This adds about $2000 to the cost of the swap if you get used parts

This slipped my attention. PHR doesn't want to deal with the hassle is all. An auto lexus can be converted to the 6 speed. But should only be done so after the GTE swap or boosted GE blasting the guts out of the stocker.

There is a debate about the tranny tunnel on certain model years. 1995 is a definite no problem. Other model years may need a bfh to open up the situation. Then the physical opening for the shifter at the cockpit will probably need a little hacksawing. Then the custom driveshaft will be needed, as well as the TT 6 speed diffy (torsen or otherwise), then the axle shafts (I don't recall if these are custom as well or not.

But sure, it can be done. If I had an auto SC300 and wanted a turbo, I would just get a torque converter and tranny cooler on the stock tranny and run it until it *BLEEP*s the bed. Then I would call up Sound Performance and ask them to throw one their SP series trannies my way. Automatics are, after all, more consistent off the line.

This slipped my attention. PHR doesn't want to deal with the hassle is all. An auto lexus can be converted to the 6 speed. But should only be done so after the GTE swap or boosted GE blasting the guts out of the stocker.

There is a debate about the tranny tunnel on certain model years. 1995 is a definite no problem. Other model years may need a bfh to open up the situation. Then the physical opening for the shifter at the cockpit will probably need a little hacksawing. Then the custom driveshaft will be needed, as well as the TT 6 speed diffy (torsen or otherwise), then the axle shafts (I don't recall if these are custom as well or not.

But sure, it can be done. If I had an auto SC300 and wanted a turbo, I would just get a torque converter and tranny cooler on the stock tranny and run it until it *BLEEP*s the bed. Then I would call up Sound Performance and ask them to throw one their SP series trannies my way. Automatics are, after all, more consistent off the line.

Just spoke with Powerhouse and here is their definitive answer. :(

Due to the rarity of 5 speed parts and wrecked SC300’s, we can no longer source what is needed to perform the auto to six speed swap.  We did this to Clint Pohler’s SC300 but it was three years ago at least.  You would need a complete wrecked SC300 five speed to get all the necessary parts to do the swap, as it requires the trans. tunnel, pedal and master assy, etc..  I suggest staying with the Supra TT automatic upgrade instead.  Thanks

I understand what PHR is saying, but the parts can be sourced new from toyota. The tranny tunnel can be hammered out. There is no way around having a completely custom lengthened driveshaft and half shafts made for the rear. The job is going to cost but - ultimately PHR is only suggesting. If you truly want your 6speed SC300 - you can have it. It may not be through PHR though because they obviously do not want to do it. By the way, there is one for sale already built in Miami for 32,000$. I'd buy it if I could but it wasn't for sale when I was in the market. That is after all - the easiest way to get it - buy it already built.

At the track... or downtown with a hottie in the passenger seat... B) at hot import nights with the light show and model sprawled across your bumper with her cheecks in the air - (I need a vacation <_< ) ...in the long run it is cheaper, just fix it as it breaks - that car in particular is completely built and needs no further improvement. I would have bought it if it was available when I was looking. T70, 6 speed, dvd/nav complete system, suspesnsion, 6piston brakes, wald body kit, fmic, complete fuel system and standalone management - easily 80,000$ in modifications - although I'm sure he has stripped some of the electronic goodies and sold them separate by now as the price has gone down a lot. The guy really wants to sell it too - not that I would ever sell a car I put that much effort into. To each his own - I can get anyone in contact with the seller but they better be serious about it - the price is 32g's firm.