95 Es300 - Change Rear Tail Light Bulb?

Hi, i'm new here but I've read some of the posts. Anyway, my wife's 95 ES300 has one of the rear brake lights out. I was going to change it but when I took a look to replace the bulb, I couldn't see any sockets. Do you have to remove the whole tail light assembly just to replace a bulb? Also what size nuts are used (8mm, 10mm?). Any help is greatly appreciated.

no, no removal is necessary.

you just have to pop a couple of the fasteners that secure the trunk liner and the bulb sockets will be exposed. (new fasteners are available at Lexus if you break any)

Search on this as lexusk8 has posted pictures and given good instructions as to the steps involved.

steviej

Stevie, the '95 is a little different from the '97+...we have a stupid trunk with the extra narrow opening. You do have to remove the whole freakin light. It's a real pain in the !Removed!...I did it when I put the gold package on my ES(the emblem was embedded in the light, so I just bought a used one on ebay). Once you pull back the lining in the trunk, you'll see a metal plate where the screws(that hold the taillight assembly in) are...I'm about 99% sure that there is no way to do it while the light is in place. Sure enough, my burnt taillight icon came up the other day, so I'm going to be doing this procedure too...arrr.

:cheers:

yeah those lights are sealed up real well... My 96... i have to do mine ... my taillight dash thing came on too . !

bad design.. those narrow trunk... dont know what they were thinkin :chairshot:

you basically remove all little stupid carpet thingys in the trunk that are covering the tail light.

take out a few 10mm nuts.

(on passenger side, you need to remove 1 or 2 nuts for locking mechanism.

your taillight should easily be removed from the car. replace light bulb.

it took me about 10 minutes my first time. my second time..2-3 minutes.

Thanks for all your help. I eneded up buying an 8mm deep socket to remove the 6 nuts (5 or 6 - can't remember) and slide the light out far enough to remove and replace the bulb. There are some bigger nuts (10mm) that don't need to be removed to slide the light out. It would be harder to remove the 8mm nuts without a deep socket but I guess it can be done. Anyway, thanks for the great input and helping me change the bulb. Never thought I would need to search the web just to replace a light bulb. This was for the drivers side rear lights.

• 4 months later...

Anybody have a list of lightbulbs that you would need to purchase if you wanted to replace every bulb in the taillight assembly for a 94 ES?

Also, I've seen some LED lights that you can purchase for brake lights, etc... I put some into another car that I owned as was not impressed with the brightness. Anybody seen anything different that they would recommend?

Both of my license plate lights are burned out so I will be pulling both of my taillights in the next week and replacing all of my bulbs at once while I am there...

you mean like this list:

1994 LEXUS ES300

Low beam headlamp

9006ST Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade: The Look of HID: Whitest, Brightest

9006XV XtraVision Halogen Upgrade: Up to 20% Brighter

9006CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

9006LL Long Life Halogen Upgrade: Lasts one and a half times longer

High beam headlamp

9005ST Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade: The Look of HID: Whitest, Brightest

9005CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

Parking light

1157A

1157AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

1157ALL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front turn signal

1157A

Rear turn signal

1156LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Tail light

1157LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light

1157LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

High mount stop light

921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Fog/Driving light

H3-55W

H3ST Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade: The Look of HID: Whitest, Brightest

License plate

Back up light

1156LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

1157A

Rear sidemarker

Glove box

Dome light

DE3175

Step/Courtesy light

194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

DE3021

Trunk/Cargo area

Instrument-general

here is your link to the bulb list

steviej

So if I wanted to replace every light bulb in the rear taillights of my 94 ES 300:

I count 3 brake lights per side (6 total 1157’s),

two corner markers (lights up with my parking lights-does not light up with my brakes) (2x 168),

two reverse lights (2x 1156)

two turn signals (2x 1156)

and two license plate lights (2x 168)

Does anyone see anything that I missed (that may be burned out bilaterally)?

OK, i replaced all of my taillights tonight! Thanks stevieJ for the parts list! Since I do not appear to be the only one with ??? on how to do this, I took pics and placed a thread in the tutorial section for future reference:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=15005

Its a piece of cake once you do it, took me about an hour but I was taking pics and notes...can be done much quicker.