Model Name On 1990 Ls400?

Taplin06

As you may know, I am currently looking at buying a 1990 LS400. On a closer inspection today(still did not make final offer), I noticed that the back of the car doesn't list the model. It just has the usual Lexus and nothing over on the right, is this normal for the older models?

Thanks again! B)

Yup. This is my car: [no LS400 emblem]

Picture_022.sized.jpg

I heard people say, that Lexus didn't want you to know "LS400" as "LS400" rather than just Lexus, I believe.

The LS400 emblem first came out in 1995.

If you would like, you can stick one on there. They are sold all over the place.

I want to put one on too.

:cheers:

Hey thanks for your help! It just looks funny without something over there on the right, I guess im used to it.

If I end up buying the car, I will most likely purchase the LS400 emblem off of eBay. How would I go about attaching it? Is there some special solution or do I just use superglue? lol :unsure:

Yeah, when I first saw a Gen.1 LS400 from the back, I thought the the car must have been painted or something, that they don't have the LS400 emblem on.

I believe they have the glue on them already. All, I know is that if you take them off; they wouldn't hurt the paint.

What color emblems does it have on it?

The earlier LS400's did not have the model name on the trunk lid - I think the first year with the model badge was 1995. Some people add the LS400 badge added to the early models. I meant to have the "LEXUS" badge deleted (leaving only the "L" in the center) on the new trunk lid when my 90 LS was rear-ended ($11,000 damage) in 2000 but I forgot (and hurt too much) to tell the body shop. Personally I think the "LEXUS" and model name badges on the trunk lid are tacky. Heck, Lexus are just nice Toyotas and that is why I have "TOYOTA" license plate frames on our LS and Camry.

When I bought the 90 LS, I was surprized there was no LS400 emblem. But, not being a big emblem person, it didn't bother me. I kind of like the idea of removing all but the "L" On my Caprixe I removed all the emblems on the car. Next I want to remove the stupid bow tie hood ornament.

I like the gold emblems and such. I just sent all the emblems, plus the front grille trim to be replated. Now I just bought a used "LS400" emblem. I'll have to have it replated, too, I'm sure.

I think they look great on a white Lexus. Saw a dark green Camry with gold trim yesterday-thought the trim looked too strong. Just one mans opinion, I guess.

I like the gold emblems and such. I just sent all the emblems, plus the front grille trim to be replated. Now I just bought a used "LS400" emblem. I'll have to have it replated, too, I'm sure.

I think they look great on a white Lexus. Saw a dark green Camry with gold trim yesterday-thought the trim looked too strong. Just one mans opinion, I guess.

Yeah. I like both silver and gold both in different ways. There are just certain colors of colors that gold looks good in and same for the silver.

We have a white Camry with gold emblems which match with the stripes.

Now, the LS color, Silver Taupe, would not look good with gold emblems.

If you put things on the car you have to coordinate it with the rest of the car.

Relating to this question about the lack of a model number on First Gen Lexi, I have a comment and a question:

1. Thank you to LOC member 445187 for selling me the "LS400" emblem which I just received, and will have replated, and then installed on my '94 Ls400. Members should consider contacting 445187 for other parts from his '95 LS-He was prompt, reasonably priced, and accurate on the condition of the emblem. He has a post on the Buy and Sell forum named "95 LS400". Check it out.

2. My simple question for all you Second Gen owners-Since the "LS" and "400" are separate pieces-could you provide me with the exact dimension between the last "S" in LS, and the "4" in 400? I like to be accurate....

Thanks for your response.

Yes- its normal. I wondered the same thing a while back when I first bought my LS400. I had no idea why they did not put the emblem. Some of the older LS400s do have it however. Here is the back of my 90 LS400.

post-4-1086927870.jpg

ok it could be that the later 94s meaning actually in 94 and not late 93 came with the emblem, or it could have been an option im not sure i have a 90. but as far as i have seen all of the 94s have the emblem thats really the only way i can tell from the back untill i walk to the side and confirm with the rims

The 94s actually didn't come with the LS400 badge. I've seen countless gen1 LS's, including my own, and the few I've seen with the LS badge had obviously added the newer style badge, because the sizing of the type is slightly different from that of the Lexus badge on the early LS's.

Crooked? "LS400". Looked at 90LS400Lexus picture and comparing it to mine it looks like it's straight and even. I measured the "LEXUS" emblem and positioned the "LS 400" emblem on the opposite side of the trunk lid. The "LS 400" emblem is two seperate emblems, the 400 went on fine, the LS was a little tricky and required some slight repositioning. From ten feet away no one would know it wasn't factory installed. If I had to do it again I would place the LS about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch closer to the 400.