Newbie New Car Question

I couldn't find this topic through a search so please point me in the right direction if it has been previously addressed.

My first new car, ES 330, Thunder Cloud Gray, and I don't know how soon I have to wax the car.

Does it come from the factory with a protective layer of some sort? Is there a certain amount of time I should wait?

Thank you for the help.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Polish or Waxing New Vehicle:

New cars with OEM water based paint are cured at high temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens and can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant.

New cars go through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the cars paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level ensure the paint is fully cured by the time the car leaves the assembly line.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

Part II

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

RapGard (Plastic Transit Film):

Many manufacturers are using this white plastic covering in place of synthetic or wax based shipping coatings (Cosmoline) The plastic becomes brittle with age (90 to 180 days) and becomes difficult to remove as it "shreds" while being pulled off, additionally there is excess adhesive residue left on the surface.

Spray or wipe Isopropyl Alcohol on to the Rap Guard or Plastic Film and the painted surfaces. Allow it to remain on the surface for 3 to 5 minutes. Saturate a soft clean towel with Isopropyl Alcohol and gently wipe away the RapGard / Plastic Film pieces and adhesive. Wash vehicle with a car wash concentrate diluted 1 oz. per gallon of water.

Cosmoline:

Is a protecterant used on new cars during shipment. It is applied to the paint film surface, engine and wheels to provide a barrier against exposure to the elements. Using a petroleum-based solvent to remove it can do irreversible harm to the vehicle finish. By using a non-caustic, acid-free, citrus based, biodegradable citrus cleaner will avoid any damage and safely remove the Cosmoline, or any oils or grease that may have been applied for protection.

Polish or Waxing New Vehicle:

New cars with OEM water based paint are cured at high temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens and can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant.

New cars go through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the cars paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level ensure the paint is fully cured by the time the car leaves the assembly line.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

TOGWT-

Thank you for the response.

I have no idea whether RapGard or Cosmoline were used in trasporting the car.

Is it safe to clean for both?

Also, just to be sure I'm following you, wax/polish ASAP because the paint is cured but the car does not come from the factory with any sort of protectant.

Thanks.

The dealership waxed the car unless you asked them not to, so there's no real rush as the paint is protected. I would clay and then polish and wax and you should be set, look around the forums to get info and products to use for that.

I take it you have the new Sport Design? Post some pics!

SW03ES-

Thanks to you and some of the other posters I just placed my order from lexuscarcare.

I just wasn't sure how soon I needed to get the wax/polish done.

I did get the Sport Design and would be more than happy to post pics. Just post them in the Gallery?

Thanks.

Yeah just upload them to the gallery and you can link them to your post by right clicking to properties and highlighting the URL listed there.

What all did you order

I ordered assorted towels, applicators, etc.

Polish- P21S paintwork cleansing lotion

Wax- NXT tech wax

Interior- 1Z cockpit cleaner

If you have any suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated. I'd rather hear I wasted $15 on the wrong polish than waste my time. After reading many of the posts here, these seemed like a safe place to start.

I was hoping to find a wax that would last a while and the NXT seems to have mixed reviews. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

I'm hoping the gray color on my car will be relatively easy to keep up. If it's helpful, my paint is in new condition and I will be doing all the work by hand.

Thanks.

I think I finally figured out how to use this forum and reply. Boy do I feel dumb!

Newbie here, wanting to double check with the Gurue Steve about products compatability and proper aplication. Here is the order and products I plan on using.

wash / clay (Clay Magic) / wash again / polish (Poorboys Polish) / seal (Poorboys EX Sealant w/Carnauba) / wax(P21S)

Is this over kill or will it be worth the end results? Another question, does it make any difference that I live in the desert where it can reach 120?

Sorry to be a pest. I really do appreciate all of your help! :cheers:

Mark

Jeff- That looks great, I think you'll be pleased!

Mark, Thats a good combination I've used it myself. You might want to look at the Poorboys Natty Wax to go over the EX. Never used it and P21S is great but I've heard good things.

Also be sure to get the Poorboys Polish with Carnuaba and not the Pro Polish.

I couldn't find this topic through a search so please point me in the right direction if it has been previously addressed.

My first new car, ES 330, Thunder Cloud Gray, and I don't know how soon I have to wax the car.

Does it come from the factory with a protective layer of some sort? Is there a certain amount of time I should wait?

Thank you for the help.

For the first 12 to 18 months of a new car's life, the paint is relatively oxidation-free and in good condition. If you maintain your new car's paint with regular washing and protection, oxidation will remain minimal, and cleaning the paint will be a minor task. At a minimum, you should wash your car weekly. Enjoy...Perfect Shine

Another question for the "Official LOC Detailaholic" Steve, :D

I got the clay bar and just had to try it out. The first thing I did was use the little plastic mit they give you to feel how bad your paint is. Wow was I suprised, even on my wife's new '04 Toyota Siena, it felt like someone put sand in the finish. Is this normal and will all of that come out? It is amazing that with your bare hand it feels like glass then with that mit it feels so rough.

I'll be ordering my other stuff today, including some new microfiber towells. Thanks for all of your help, I look forward to the end results.

I detail cars for people on the side. I just did a brand new Toyota Sienna van. The owner told me how many people have commented on the shine. He was so happy I did his 93 Camry wagon. When he got to work the gate attendant asked him "new car?" He said, no same one I have driven everyday.

Now everyone wants them done. I've got a F-150, Lincoln Teon Car, Mazda Miata, and Excursion to do. Looks like it will be a busy summer.

I guess most people are lazy as I also sell them products really cheap but they would rather give me several hundred $$$ more to do it for them. I haven't had an unhappy customer yet. It does cut down on my Internet time though as I seem to live in the garage now.