Side view mirror problem

Who is going to replace the mirror? I would think that person would want to disconnect the power cords at their connector(s). Can you take apart the old mirror and disconnect the wires?

On the other hand, it may be possible to cut and solder the wires to those that are part of the new mirror assembly when you receive it.

Thank you. My mechanic will be replacing it. I  had noticed in pics that there was a plug in connector so I wasn't  sure if I cut on mirror side of connector it would be alright. Never thought about taking it apart...

The connector for the exterior mirror is probably inside the car and behind a door panel - at least that's the way it is on most vehicles made by Toyota. 

It would help if you provide a photo showing the dangling exterior mirror and the electrical cable connecting the mirror to the door.  

6 hours ago, 1990LS400 said:

The connector for the exterior mirror is probably inside the car and behind a door panel - at least that's the way it is on most vehicles made by Toyota. 

It would help if you provide a photo showing the dangling exterior mirror and the electrical cable connecting the mirror to the door.  

3163A7D3-54B7-4FCF-A294-40C01B73EC49.jpeg

Jim, do you think there is no connector in the mirror assembly? I would hope that there is. Otherwise, it may not be a simple replacement job.

28 minutes ago, RX400h said:

Jim, do you think there is no connector in the mirror assembly? I would hope that there is. Otherwise, it may not be a simple replacement job.

Nice photo!!  Thanks.  Yes, it is safe to cut through the large insulated cable I see in the photo.  There will likely be a number of smaller wires each with there own insulation inside the black cable.  It's best to make a super clean cut so that the wire cores of the smaller wires don't contact each other but it probably wouldn't be a problem even if they did.   Maybe wrap the car side end of the wire bundle with electrical tape after you cut it to prevent any of the wire cores from contacting metal such as the car door.

RX400h, no, there are no connectors inside a mirror housing that have to be disconnected or connected when replacing an exterior mirror.  There is only one connector for each exterior mirror that has to be connected to a wiring harness in the doors.  

Replacing an exterior mirror is usually pretty easy although it often requires popping off the door panel which is not very difficult.  I've had some practice due to collisions ands having added turn signals to exterior mirrors.  

If I'm wrong, I guess you will have to hunt me down and slap me.  If you are reluctant to remove the hanging mirror yourself, have your mechanic cut the cable and remove it.

Or, if you are uncomfortable with cutting the cable, your mechanic could remove whatever interior trim is necessary and then unbolt the mirror from the door and disconnect the mirror connector from from the door wiring harness.  That's no more than a 15 minute operation if your mechanic knows what he's doing.

2 hours ago, Bykfixer said:

In the long run it would be easier to pop off the door panel and unplug it than cut it and perform proper splices.  

No splicing will be necessary.  The mechanic will simply unplug and discard what is left of the exterior mirror harness from the door panel wiring harness.  He will then plug the harness for the replacement mirror into the door panel wiring harness.

Here is a photo from eBay of a used right side mirror for a 1998-2005 GS.   The cable from the mirror attaches to the wiring harness behind the door panel.

1998-2005 Lexus GS exterior mirror right side.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1