1999 gs300 leaking fuel tank

So I have a 1999 gs300 and I'm starting to smell a bit of gas (no visible drops on the ground) so I'm just trying to see what my options are, and if anybody has an answer.

what are good fixes for the existing fuel tank?

Good places to buy a replacement? I've only found a couple links and they quote in the $900 range

what headaches are involved in dropping a fuel tank? I'm fairly new with this sorta thing and I'm not sure if there's a gasket on the diff that needs to be replaced when you disconnect the driveshaft or something stupid like that

I would recommend that you NOT assume your entire fuel tank is leaking.

But I do recommend that you have it checked out because even if it's something as simple as a leaking gas cap, you should not drive it much in that condition.
A good mechanic will first check for codes, then if none are found, methodically check potential causes. You really shouldn't just replace things without knowing for certain if any one is the cause of the smell.

Well obviously I’d be dropping the fuel tank to look at it either way, but right now I’m just exploring my options. Car is not on the road so don’t worry about that. My best guess without taking it apart is that it’s a pin hole leak caused by rust. 

Are you smelling gasoline inside the car? Outside? Both?

I ask because it could be a line and not the tank itself. I had a truck where a mouse chewed a portion of the fuel line at a junction point not once or twice but three times before it either stopped or moved elsewhere. I had to replace a junction Ford no longer made so the part came from a junkyard the first two times but Mac Tools produces a DOT approved coupling now.