2009 rx350 liftgate hard to manually lift.

I have a 2009 Lexus RX 350. I can raise the liftgate with The remote and close it with the remote. But when I try to do it manually it is very heavy.  When I grab the liftgate latch, it clicks and should raise up via the struts.  However, it just sits there.  I have to use strength to lift it after that.  Is this a failure of the gas struts?  Or is there more to it?  
thanks!

Gas shocks are the problem.  It should be easy to find those shocks lots of places, but the ones I got years ago dfor my 2009 RX350 came from LiftSupportsDepot.com, P/N 6135, but verify before you buy ( cost there is about $28 each).  Main thing is to get parts that have a lifetime warranty -I’m on my 3rd set since we got this car in 2011, and am in no hurry to replace it. 

Given the totally depleted state of your shocks, you’ll definitely have to prop up the hatch with something like a strong stick or 2”x4” or similar to get started.  Total job should take well under an hour, but life will be a lot easier once you’re done.

I hope that helps