Rust On Discs

I finally went to local toyota dealer to have my 48000 kilometre service. Neither brake fluid nor coolant needed to be replaced.

However, all 4 brake pads need replacement, and all discs have rust on inner portion. Service manager suggested i go to Lexus dealer who should relace discs without charge on warranty. he said he would do that for a camry with such low kilometres. Called several Lexus dealers, and said that it's not under warranty because it's wear and tear. called lexus canada and customer service person(generally they know nothing about their products) said it's not under warranty, but I should speak with service department at dealer where I purchased car and see what they'd do. Since that dealership already told me it's nat under warranty, I guess I don't have a leg to stand on.

A few questions: 1) Is it unusual for rust to develop on all 4 wheels with low mileage, although the car has been on road since october, 1999?

2) Any suggestions about what I could say to dealer to convince them that they should deem this warrantable?

If it's not under warranty, then i would definitely have toyota do the work, since it's same part numbers, and they're less expensive, and 5 minutes from home compared to half an hour for lexus dealer.

Thanks.

the rust is "normal" for lexus brakes. I see it on a lot of Lexi including my own at 20k miles. I got pics if you want to see. Rust was on front and rear but the most was on the rear brake rotor hats. I painted mine (got pics of that too.)

Brake pads are a wear item and usually aren't covered. Easy DIY. Pads go for around $45 on www.irontoad.com.

If you are going to replace the rotors at the same time, then don't do a thing as the rust is on the rotor and will go out with the old ones. When you get the new rotors on, then think about painting them to keep out the surface rust.

Are you good with a wrench? If only the rotors and pads have to be replaced, you can easily do this with a Hayes manual at your side. Rotors go for around $75 each at www.irontoad.com. Its a peice of cake if you ain't changing the calipers.

steviej

If rust is common and even normal, it makes you wonder why they suggest replacement, as opposed to sanding, for removal. It's a no-brainer that pads are wear and tear and not warrantable, but what I'm trying to figure out is under what conditions the discs themselves are warrantable when I've only gone less than 30, 000. miles. The Toyota service mgr said he would replace them under warranty if it was a camry, but neither 2 lexus dealers or lexus canada would go for it. lexus canada did say it was up to dealer. Since they get reimbursed by lexus for the work, i can't understand why they balk. I'm going to the independent garage I used with my Infiniti and have them pull the wheels for a second opinion.

No, I'm not among the handy, but the idea of painting them after either replacement or sanding sounds like a great idea.

Thanks

Still trying to figure out what to do with rotors. Several estimates for replacing all 4 pads and rotors is running about $900.Cdn. What I can't figure out is whether it pays to try and get someone to sand rotors. What are the chances that the rust on the ends will go away?

Also, anybody in toronto area know of good mechanic who will beat this price?

Thanks.